PDA

View Full Version : Rod for Diawa Zillion

ian.young
28-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Gday all

I'm after recommendations for a rod to match a Daiwa Zillion 100HA baitcaster which I just picked up on a trip to Tokyo. I'm going to put 20lb braid on it and it will be used almost exclusively for snag chucking for barra, jacks etc. I'm after a rod that will allow me to fling lighter lures, like Flatz Ratz, with ease. Please be sepcific with model numbers if you can...there's so much out there that I'm bit overwhelmed with choices.

Cheers
Ian

Why-ting
28-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Depends on how much you want to spend? A couple of loomis' that my zillion gets attached to are the cr 723 imx (i think hardb8 has one for sale in rod and reels for sale) and a flbsr724c this rod is a little more whippy but i landed a 135-140cm jewwie on this rod so i think it sould have the power your after.

Hope this helps

Cheers Whytey

ffejsmada
29-10-2007, 08:15 AM
G'day Ian,
I just recently purchased a Zillion and have loaded it with 30lb Nitlon with the intention of hitting Monduran a bit, and casting to snags for Jacks.

I too was in a dilemna as to which rod. I was very nearly going to get an Egrell B-6 I think it was (have a look at the Egrell website) after talking to SteveB from Gin Gin about Mondurans Barra.

Anyway, as I was impatient I chose an off the rack G.Loomis GL3 Fast Action 5' 6" Heavy baitcaster. Model # CR665.

As yet have only landed a 50cm Cod on it, but was more than happy. Casts well and accurate and is very light, you could throw it all day.

Do a search on Ausfish for - Zillion - theres heaps of good info there in relation to matching rods.

Cheers Jeff.

breamnut
29-10-2007, 03:43 PM
go a loomis.
i have a gl2 mag bass which in 6'6 and 6-8kilo.
perfect for jack and since i dont chase barra i cant comment but i dont see why not.
i used it for bass without a problem caught jack,trevally and a few oversized flatties.
i cast anything from 3' to 7inch gulp for flatties, spinnerbait,poppers and big shad raps or tilsons for jack

ian.young
29-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks Jeff and Whytey, I've been looking at both the Egrell and Loomis ranges...I'll look even closer now. Jeff, Re: the Loomis CR665, I had been looking at the 664, or even the 663 to get a light enough tip, but how does the 665 go casting lightish lures?

Cheers
Ian

vinny78
29-10-2007, 04:10 PM
I just bought an Egrell B8-5 for my Jap Zillion. Haven't been home yet to even see or hold the rod yet though so I can't really comment. Not sure if this rod will suit your requirement to cast small lures.
Ian, why don't you PM 'The Bear' himself. I'm sure he'll give you all the help you require regarding the Egrell rod range.

Cheers, Andrew.

ffejsmada
29-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Jeff, Re: the Loomis CR665, I had been looking at the 664, or even the 663 to get a light enough tip, but how does the 665 go casting lightish lures?

Cheers
Ian

Ian,
I don't know what you class as lightish but I've been tossing lures such as Smith Cherry Bloods, Tilsan Barra's, Classic F18 mini's, Little lucifers, Bombers etc. I'm also using 30lb braid.
I've had the occasional birdnest but so far everything seems fine.
I suppose a lighter tip would help with throwing lighter lures than these but you might lose a bit of accuracy?
I'd like to see the difference between the 663, 664 and the 665.
Jeff

ian.young
30-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Yep, the Reidy's little Lucifers and Flatz Ratz are the sort of lure I'm talking about, also the gold bomber in the smaller two-hook configuration. If the 665 throws these fine then it may be what I'm after.
Thanks again
Ian

NAGG
30-10-2007, 05:44 PM
My Zillion usually lives on a Loomis GL3 CR722 ( 6') ..... which is used for snag bashing with 20lb Sensor Braid ( throwing Flatz Rats) ...... Its perfect & handles most fish no worries.... & will even cast unweighted(weedless) 5" SPs
... Nagg
PS .... I use the same rod with a Cronarch SF .... 14lb bass fishing with Spinnerbaits & Jackalls ..... Nagg

Tip
31-10-2007, 01:07 PM
I recently purchased a egrell B8-5 rod and have just got back from Monduran Dam. The rod is sensational, I was able to cast hardbodies such as B52's scorpions etc with ease and get great distance. The fighting qualities of the rod are even better, landed a 92cm barrra in heavy timber on 50lb braid and was able to turn it back over its head when headed for the timber.

The rod had plenty more to give and this was evident when I hooked a fish of about 120cm in 4 ft of water. The rod handled it easily, it was only the drag on the reel that resulted in the fish being lost.

Go the egrell, you won't be disappointed.

Regards

Mick

Toddy_again
01-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Have a look at the Forcelite Loomis rods.I have the 2nd heaviest one for dam barra and I love it.Casts RMG 125s flat as a pancake and has a bit of grunt to boot.I want the heavier one now.
Mine also has a Zillion on it.Couldnt be happier with that either.
I also have a 722 IMX that throws that size lures perfectly.
Plenty of choices out there.

Toddy

ian.young
01-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Heading to the shop tomorrow to have a browse of the loomis range. I'm based in Hong Kong at the moment (but do most of my fishing in Oz), so can someone give me a rough idea of the prices of comparable Egrells (which aren't available here)? Are they in the same sort of neighbourhood as the mid-range loomises, say, up to A$350?
Ian

basskid
01-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Hey mate loomis vary but you could pick one up around between 35o to 500 it depends wat you want but egrell are i think a bit less pricey you really should talk to eric as he is the owner and maker of egrell and he canb help ya out

Toddy_again
01-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Heading to the shop tomorrow to have a browse of the loomis range. I'm based in Hong Kong at the moment (but do most of my fishing in Oz), so can someone give me a rough idea of the prices of comparable Egrells (which aren't available here)? Are they in the same sort of neighbourhood as the mid-range loomises, say, up to A$350?
Ian

I think the Egrells range from high $300s to the high $400s.(Correct me if I am wrong)I am also pretty sure you cant get the Forcelites outside Oz but if you look around you can get IMX Loomis rods from Malaysia for a lot cheaper than we pay for them here.

Toddy

t4topcat
01-11-2007, 09:56 PM
G'day all,
Ian, I just purchased as a gift for my girlfriend a Strudwick Harbait 5'6" 8-10kg stick normally ticketed at $319.00 for $50.00 from the mart that cannot be named. They are currently having a sale and I think they are clearing all old stock in preparation for an influx of new product for Christmas. Now, a student of mine informed me that his father just purchased 2 of these rods (4-6 and 6-8kg from memory) for the aforementioned price so I went down to investigate, I was told they do the rod for $99.00 but I insisted that they check the price and it turned out that I was correct. So go see what your nearest mart that cannot be spoken has to offer, why spend more of your hard earned cash than you have to I say.

Cheers

Chris

Tip
02-11-2007, 12:38 PM
I got my egrell B8-5 for $440. RRP was $465. Worth every cent.

Cheers

Mick

yellahunter
07-11-2007, 08:15 PM
any more suggestions here,
ive just purchased a zillion 100h

Il be using it for throwing hardbodies at jacks..