PDA

View Full Version : need advice on getting rods and reels on a budget

orange_juice
27-10-2007, 04:00 PM
hiya im new to fishing and all, the past months and so i have been using my mates rod. i think its about time to get a pair of rods myself,

here is what its going to be use for;
mainly catching bream or any salt water fish which i catch by the shore

budget
my budget is 150 or even 200 for the pair of rods and reel

preferences
l would prefer something that is light under the 6 foot length and should be a 2 piece rod

as i said above i am a new to fishing and all so i dont have a clue on purchasing one

thanks in advance

excuse my english as it is not my language

thanks once again

Fafnir
27-10-2007, 04:25 PM
By a pair of rods do you mean 2 rods, or 1 rod and 1 reel?

Also, if fishing from shore, you might like to consider a slightly longer rod, maybe 7 foot, for extra casting distance.

orange_juice
28-10-2007, 01:04 AM
yes i mean 2 rods and reels

thanks on the advice, 6-7 foot should be fine but can it be light weight( referring to rod being light weighted)

tunaticer
28-10-2007, 06:47 AM
G'day Orange,

I would be looking at the combos on offer from nearly all tackle outlets these days.
There are literally thousands of different combos and for the most part they will be quite reasonable for the bream application. You will find that 7 foot rods will most likely serve you best as 6 foot can be left wanting quite a bit in those slightly longer casts.

My personal preference would cost nearly 200 for one setup that will cover you for whiting right through to snapper. That would be a berkley dropshot rod in 2-4kg (around $90) and a Okuma Epix EFS 20 or 30 reel (around $100).

This setup is probably as good as you can get for the dollar bracket and both items will give you a geed many years service IF YOU CLEAN them down after EVERY trip. A quick hose off is all that is required as a cleaning method. A regular spray on the reel with wd40 will protect the bearings and metal parts from corrosion.

Jack.

rockfisho
28-10-2007, 10:58 AM
hi Orange,

I gather that you will be fishing from the banks of an estuary, am i correct? In which case a 6-8 foot rod would be my preference. I use a 2-5 kg spin ugly stick with a seinna 4000. This covers all my estuary fishing; from whiting to big trevally with lures.

Cheers

Owen

iank
28-10-2007, 01:58 PM
If you can wait to get a outfit think about a layby, that way you can get a quality outfit and pay for it over 6-8 weeks, if you are like me you will always find the extra money to pay it off early so that you can use it. Plus alway buy the best you can afford as it will last you longer with less problems.
Cheers Ian

orange_juice
28-10-2007, 07:26 PM
as i live in melbourne i cant seem to find any store around here that sell variety of rods, the only place that sell rods and reels that i have seem was in k-mart which the worker doesnt know what im talking about when i ask them questions. anyone from melbourne that know of stores that sell differentt brand of rods and reels? as i want to check out the rods and reels that was mentions in this thread

nigelr
29-10-2007, 05:51 AM
OJ, this site is mainly QLD and northern NSW, you will find more info for your area (Melbourne) by googling up 'Fishnet'.
A lesser site tho' IMHO...............but still has mainly Vic membership
Cheers.

Longshot
29-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Where in Melbourne are situated???

breamnut
29-10-2007, 03:39 PM
sienna 2500 on a backbone rod. there only $115.
although i would do exactly wat Iank said