PDA

View Full Version : Volvo QL trimtab feedback???

ozlongboarder
27-10-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm about to fit tabs to my Bertram 25. My biggest concern is the boat lives on a mooring all year. Do any Volvo tab users have any feedback on how they have been performing.

Thanks

mirage
27-10-2007, 06:40 PM
I installed them on my last boat. Was very happy with their simplicity and performance.

captain rednut
27-10-2007, 09:17 PM
mate just do it, they are the best! dont hessitate.

Spaniard_King
27-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Yet to be tested on a full time Briney boat but there the best on a trailer boat..:)

rat_catcher
27-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Tabs are the next job on the 'to-do' list for my 702L. I am very interested in the QL Tabs and these will probably be my choice too.

ozlongboarder
27-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback fellas. Problem now is the shape of my transom.

The outer edge is 420mm long, the recommended size tab for my boat is 450mm. I could fit the 300mm models easily but they may not be large enough. They would however be 30mm from the corners of the transom which means they would be very effective I think.

How long is the warranty?

Spaniard_King
28-10-2007, 06:03 AM
Qls, have a 5 year warranty

Homer_Jay
28-10-2007, 09:01 AM
I have also been looking at fitting a set of trim tabs,

Just wondering why everyone thinks the QL tabs are better then the bennett tabs?

I must say I favour the bennett tabs as they have been proven ove many years. Cant say i have ever heard anything bad said about the bennetts.

Just wondering your thoughts on it.

Vitamin Sea
28-10-2007, 10:10 AM
I have also been looking at fitting a set of trim tabs,

Just wondering why everyone thinks the QL tabs are better then the bennett tabs?

I must say I favour the bennett tabs as they have been proven ove many years. Cant say i have ever heard anything bad said about the bennetts.

Just wondering your thoughts on it.

Gidday Aaron

I had a look at the QL's Friday, look pretty impressive to me and the general feedback from all the blokes on here is very positive as well.

You are right about the Bennetts', proven over many years, however the QL's do have some advantages.

Don't think you can go wrong with either system, they will make a difference to the handling of the 19C

Cheers

Bill

Greg P
28-10-2007, 02:50 PM
I had Bennets on my Sportfish - they were great and made a huge difference to how it handled especially when I could lower the bow in chop. I now have QL's on the Fisher and am very happy with them. Much more responsive than the Bennets, auto-retrac standard, and the control system is by far the best going around. Also the compact design means not having to worry about people stepping on them and no worries about fishing line getting cut off.

I always believed that tabs could improve the ride on any boat and I suppose it is true but I now rarely use them for anything other than wind heel or weight distribution. Thats the difference between a hull with 18 degree deadrise and one with 23 and much better hull shape. I now believe that a good hull design does not need them for any other reason other than keeping the vee straight.

Cheers

Greg

Homer_Jay
28-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Yeah I think your right Bill,

I have the manual adjusting ones on her now (i think they are called smart tabs)
But i need something that i can keep her upright in the wind. Thats the only problem that i need them for and the current ones are useless for that. The 19c rides beautiful untill she lays over on the side. And its a pain asking people to move around all the time.

The only worry that springs to mind with the QL's is how much turbulence they create around the transducer.

Vitamin Sea
28-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Yeah I think your right Bill,

I have the manual adjusting ones on her now (i think they are called smart tabs)
But i need something that i can keep her upright in the wind. Thats the only problem that i need them for and the current ones are useless for that. The 19c rides beautiful untill she lays over on the side. And its a pain asking people to move around all the time.

The only worry that springs to mind with the QL's is how much turbulence they create around the transducer.

Have had the same thought, maybe others can advise?

Cheers

ozlongboarder
30-10-2007, 07:13 PM
I installed mine today sort of, I bolted them on to the back and temporary plugged them in and powered up. They work! Should be able to test them on the water later this week. Very easy to install.

My Volvo dealer said Riviera is starting to use them now which is promising, hopefully they cope with mooring life, time will tell I guess!