PDA

View Full Version : Spelling

kingtin
26-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Further to comments on another thread:

For the life of me I just can't comprehend why, when the technology is there, that those who struggle with spelling, don't use Firefox. Apart from it being a much faster browser, it is now equipped with a British/English spellchecker so we don't have to put up with words like "color,gray," etc.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Hate to sound like an old fart as the spelling doesn't bother me that much, but I know that some folk just switch off when they see a badly composed message.
If you want to be heard, it pays to be legible.

This is not meant as criticism, but constructive help.

kev

DR
26-10-2007, 05:13 PM
i can only thank you once for this post... i must admit i am one who switches off if there is a lot of text spelling.
My pet hate, & it appears to be a worldwide phenomena, is loose or looser instead of lose & loser aaaarrrrggghhh :-/

tunaticer
26-10-2007, 05:19 PM
If I could find a mobile phone that will not or can not receive text messages I would be a very happy man. I do not answer, reply to read or even check who the sender was with text messages, I just delete the messages.

I figure that if people want to contact me they can RING me, not deface my phone with graffiti.

Call me old, but gee I am happy not being annoyed with bad grammar and senseless gibberish.

This only comes second to junk email and chain emails. If I get another crying sob story about some mother whose son has just drank a litre of lighter fluid and needs funds for surgery or whatever I am going to forward it to the channel 7 crew to try and denounce the frauds.

Jack.

jtpython
26-10-2007, 05:20 PM
You'll probaley find that i fall into this catagory alot
With my amazing looking at the keyboard while i type skills i rather lack the efficency to check what i type and just click on the post reply or submitt before it's too late.
Or i have had to many Jimbeam and cola cans to care
And really ?????????????
Cheers JT

lippa
26-10-2007, 05:36 PM
goot toooo go alongh wif teh texxt messges, them shite me toe teers.
ies ok wif teh spelin.

ceers

leppa

Marlin_Mike
26-10-2007, 05:56 PM
I find the comments offensive to those who may have a learning/intellectual disabilty.

Dont we have better things to whinge about? Granted, some are lazy spellers, but to poke fun at those who have no control over their intellect/learning?

Best stick to fishing if you ask me

Mike

Nic
26-10-2007, 07:21 PM
I thought Kingtin made a valid point -- if spelling isn't your strong point, why not use Firefox so other members can understand you better? Nobody is good at everything; there's no shame in it. Me, I'm slow at tying knots so I use a Tail-Knott-R tool.

Spell checkers aside though, I reckon Firefox is simply a better browser. Bill Gates needs to get his act together.

kingtin
26-10-2007, 07:24 PM
I find the comments offensive to those who may have a learning/intellectual disabilty.

Dont we have better things to whinge about? Granted, some are lazy spellers, but to poke fun at those who have no control over their intellect/learning?

Best stick to fishing if you ask me

Mike

Mike, I can't see that anyone is deliberately targeting the intellectually impaired. The whole object of the original post was to illustrate help for those who have trouble with spelling no matter what the reason.

One of my sons is intellectually impaired but he avails himself of anything that can make him better communicate with others, indeed, it was he who first showed me the spell checking available through Firefox, which in turn had been illustrated to him by his school.

It appears (to me) that you appear to have made a fairly innocent, helpful, and light hearted thread into something rather "heavy".

kev

Black_Rat
26-10-2007, 07:33 PM
G'day Kev, good to see your back mate ;)

Spelling aside, if you need a hand to get the Whitley wet (spelling ;D ) i'll give you a hand.

finga
26-10-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm one of those with dyslexia.
Thank goodness for the spell checker :)
Bummer it's US and not aussie though :(
I can forgive the innocent spelling mistake or grammar mistake but I also cannot stand the sms way that words are written sometimes.
I reckon it's a load of bollocks that was invented for lazy slugs by lazy slugs and has done absolutely nothing to help the youth of Australia spell or punctuate correctly in the official language of the nation.
We have a perfectly good language so why change it to that sms crap.
I'd look like a dill if I went up to my mates and said gidday m8 or said cu instead of see you.
I wonder how many resumes have been written with that sms crap in it??
I wonder how many applicants do not get a second look??

kingtin
26-10-2007, 07:37 PM
G'day Kev, good to see your back mate ;)

Spelling aside, if you need a hand to get the Whitley wet (spelling ;D ) i'll give you a hand.

Cheers Damo, but it'll be a month or so yet. I'll keep you in mind.

kev

PS Hope you're good at CPR :-)

kingtin
26-10-2007, 07:41 PM
[quote=finga;703712]

Scott, you can choose British/English if you want. Nobody has fully comprehended Aussie yet to make a dictionary. ;) :-*

kev

choppa
26-10-2007, 07:45 PM
it sometimes has the opposite effect as well,,,, it can be quite humourous

and i think we all get to see (myself included),,, if there's too many additives involved to numb the brain cells a bit with a post or thread reply

firefox is good,,, but its not the end of all our problems,,, i for one can't run firefox on the laptop,, as i have too many programmes associated with work that simply don't recognise it,,,,

and even on mrs choppa 'putor,, firefox still has drama's with the screen ""freezing"" halfway through a response,,, or at that crucial moment when chopjr is blasting away a few aliens in arcade

i still for the love of me am trying to overcome my addiction with the "comma" button,,,,,,,let alone go into spell check;D ;D ;D

choppa

kingtin
26-10-2007, 07:46 PM
[quote=finga;703712]

Scott, you can choose British/English if you want. Nobody has fully comprehended Aussie yet to make a dictionary. ;) :-*

kev

Well bugger me! ;D

"Microsoft has announced that it will include quintessential Aussie words, including g'day, sickie, jackaroo, dag, dinky-di, ute, sanga, wuss and cooee, in its next version of 2007 Microsoft Office System."

The Aussie dictionary: ;D

http://www.amazingaustralia.com.au/language.htm

kev

nigelr
26-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Kev, respectfully think you may have missed the irony in Mikes' reply........
Cheers!

tigermullet
26-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Six munz ago I cudden even spel kaptin. Now I are wun.;D

Tailortaker
26-10-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm guilty for numerous spelling errors..... get over it. I think there are worse things in life is'nt there? It's a fishing forum not an english class..;D
________
Wendie 99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

choppa
26-10-2007, 10:20 PM
is it me,,,,,,,,,, ??????????

if you look under grants avatar,,, it says ""hexxagon champion"""

choppa

Horse
27-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Kev, respectfully think you may have missed the irony in Mikes' reply........
Cheers!
It must have been too subtle for me as well:-/
I have had great trouble spelling partially due to being part of a failed UK program called ITA (Initial Teaching Alphabet) where until grade 4 you spelt phonetically. I came back to Australia then to learn that this was not really the english language and had to learn the rules and proceedures for conventional spelling:-[ .
If you have a spelling or learning issue then please use the simple tools available as a badly spelt response lessens the impact of your message and is a definite barrier to successfully expressing your thoughts to others

BY tHe wAy mY PEt HaTe cURRenTly is ThE MisuSe oF CapiTal LEtTerS;D

Cheers

Neil

kingtin
27-10-2007, 09:28 AM
It must have been too subtle for me as well:-/
I have had great trouble spelling partially due to being part of a failed UK program called ITA (Initial Teaching Alphabet) where until grade 4 you spelt phonetically. I came back to Australia then to learn that this was not really the english language and had to learn the rules and proceedures for conventional spelling:-[ .

An absolute disaster Neil. My 3 older boys went through that, and then, on reaching senior school, had to start to learn all over again. A whole generation of kids blighted by a policy pressed on many, by a few. Now we're back to phonetics again via abbreviated text messages.

If you have a spelling or learning issue then please use the simple tools available as a badly spelt response lessens the impact of your message and is a definite barrier to successfully expressing your thoughts to others

BY tHe wAy mY PEt HaTe cURRenTly is ThE MisuSe oF CapiTal LEtTerS;D

Cheers

Neil

Thank you Neil. That's all I was trying to say. There is a tool to help, and if you fail to use those tools, then you are not doing yourself, or others, justice.

There have been threads in the past where someone has attempted to aid others only to be met with comments such as "get a life" or, "get over it".

It is often said that breakdowns in law and order, relationships, family etc are attributable to breakdowns in communication. If adults can't be bothered to use tools to better aid their communication with others, then what hope for our kids' education or their attitudes to others?

To my way of thinking, if you can't be bothered to make the slightest effort to communicate with others correctly, then that indicates that you are showing a lack of respect for those who you are communicating with. Talking or spelling in an appropriate manner is a common courtesy that should be afforded to others and that takes no great effort on anyone's part to achieve (with the aids now available). If the attitudes of those who feel differently are passed on to their kids, then is it any wonder that there is such high youth unemployment in areas other than manual labour?

It is obvious, based on some of the responses, that some folk somehow interpret a genuine concern for others and a desire to help them, either as personal criticism, or simply as something not worth bothering about. If it's not worth bothering about then why go out of your way to post comments such as, "get over it"? I really find this kind of thing no different than the slagging offs that appear in the reports section.

Yes, {quote}"there are worse things in life is'nt there?" but if we can't be bothered to correct the simple things, then we're hardly likely to give the more serious things our full attention are we?

Communication indicates how we relate to each other. If the communication is flawed, then so is the relationship.

That's all I have to say on the matter now I really must go and seek another life ;D

I'll keep my thoughts to myself in future as it's plainly obvious that there are those who think that they are in no need of a little help from others, that flawed communication is quite acceptable, and that others shouldn't be afforded a little courtesy by way of correct communication. If you are one of these, then don't whinge then next time you are in BCF and a couple of check out kids, with their mouths full of gum, are mumbling to each other, instead of paying attention to your good selves.

kev

Poodroo
27-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Kev I am for one very glad to see you back and posting again as Ausfish is not the same without your words of wisdom. I can see where you are coming from with this thread too. With no disrespect to those who can't spell or have dyslexia I have too found some posts hard to read through due to lack of punctuation and spelling. Kev I too use Mozilla Firefox because I find it is faster and not that I am a bad speller or anything but occasionally a word may stump me and the spell checker is right onto it. All I see is that you have offered to help those by bringing their attention to this "better" browser and I agree whole heartedly with you. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Regards,

Poodroo

DR
27-10-2007, 04:24 PM
don't blame disabilities, that is a typical copout type of an answer, there are waaaay too many instances for them all to have a disability, any kid with some sort of a problem & they are branded with an attention disorder. as the hubby of a school teacher i put most of it down to laziness & attitude from children whose parents just don't care... they do not see an education as important, the blame everyone else for their predicament & do absolutely nothing to help their kids, & so the circle goes, generation after generation. If you did it tough as a kid,make sure your kids get a better education than you & they can have a better life, but some just don't get it,& the kids are stuck in the same rut..
Having said that there is a lot who want their children to get a better education than they did, so they go out of their way to help..

my apologies to any with a learning disability.

Tropicaltrout
27-10-2007, 04:50 PM
I am the worst speller and not up with the mumbo jumbo of the computer world.

Kintin you may be right, but for me I get on here when i can and belt out a reply or a post here and there, if its spelt wrong tuff. I am not A1 at computers and don't want to be, I just simply enjoy a read, and a conversation when its conveniant.

Iam not botherd by bad spelling just over active computer nerds posting this garbage on a fishing forum

kingtin
27-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Iam not botherd by bad spelling just over active computer nerds posting this garbage on a fishing forum

Like I said, some folk don't recognise when others are simply trying to help. Labeling them/me as a "computer nerd" simply because you can't be bothered with spelling, speaks volumes, and confirms what I have stated previously............if you aren't bothered, then why go out of your way to denigrate others and label their posts as "garbage"?

I rest my case.

kev

Ausfish
27-10-2007, 10:13 PM
If someone is that anal that they will not read a members contribution to a subject due to bad spelling or grammar then I say it is their loss.

I am a shocking speller, I use the spell check but a lot of time couldn't be bothered correcting it. Some times it is a keying error, some times a spelling mistake, but tuff, who cares. At least it is better than reading posts that always have a negative tone. Some people need to smile more.

buggerit
28-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Well said Steve .(previous post)

Maybe those who are really annoyed by spelling or grammar mistakes in this forum could fill in their day by correcting all our mistakes and reposting for us .

Thanks Buggerit

Tropicaltrout
28-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Like I said, some folk don't recognise when others are simply trying to help. Labeling them/me as a "computer nerd" simply because you can't be bothered with spelling, speaks volumes, and confirms what I have stated previously............if you aren't bothered, then why go out of your way to denigrate others and label their posts as "garbage"?

I rest my case.

kev

I just think you have far to much time on your hands if you fell the need to put this post up at all. and that part underlined is that I am not bothered about spelling mistakes and I was not denigrating anybody but you!

I think we have all had a say you more so then anyone so I say let sleeping dogs lie;) Let's just enjoy the forum for fishing rather then this!

el_carpo
28-10-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm a terrible speller too. I can never remember if a word ends in "le" or "el" or where to use double letters, etcetera. If it weren't for spell checker programs, I'd take forever looking up words in the dictionary.

My "tag line" at the bottom of all my posts comes from my uncle and my bad spelling. My uncle passed away a few months ago and he was wearing a t-shirt with the joke quote, "Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!" when I saw him last. I thought it was funny and it reminded me of my spelling woes. The line obviously is a play on words from the famous quote, "Workers of the world, unite!"

As far as bad spelling bothering me goes, I'm weird. I don't mind it if other people misspell words, but I can't stand it when I, myself spell words incorrectly. Just one of those quirky things with me. Obsessive compulsive disorder strikes again!

TIGERMULLET, your post cracked me up "kaptin"! Thanks for the laugh!

FUN FACT: I do use Firefox and the spell checker has just corrected me an embarrassing five, no six! (I misspelled embarrassing) times. LOL

DR
28-10-2007, 01:54 PM
i imagine a lot of the bad spellers spend a good amount on fishing gear. After a day out they come home & meticulously clean it & the boat, they probably point out to the children that this is how your gear should be treated & it will last a long time if looked after properly. Educating the kids about fishing..

When it comes to spelling they don't give a toss, it's not important to sit with your kids & check their spelling & homework, you don't need it. They find it offensive that someone pointed out that a lot of people see it as important. It's no good calling people nerds & saying things like lighten up etc. If you don't make an effort then your kids are going to do the same, they learn from their parents.
I would think that a lot of kids read theses boards & indifference to spelling is not going to be overly helpful to them..

Not using the spell checker is just plain lazy, might even help some learn.

personally, if i had to make the choice between fishing & my kids education i would have a garage sale tomorrow..but that's just me..

disorderly
28-10-2007, 04:12 PM
I am a shocking speller, I use the spell check but a lot of time couldn't be bothered correcting it. S

Please don't ban me for this Steve, but as you are a businessman why not put in the effort to improve yourself and over time become better at spelling and grammer?.
I'm no genius either, but I do enjoy the opportunity to better myself in regards to self improvement when it comes to the english language.
I have 2 little ones counting on me to help them grow up with a decent education.

I also hate it when people use text shorthand or american gangsta type english.

Scott

PinHead
28-10-2007, 05:19 PM
I can spell but I am the world's worst typist..seek and hit mission on that front..and at times I am too lazy to proof read..I refuse to use a spell check...I have to use correct spelling and grammar as I deal a lot with so called professionals (engineers) and if it is not spelt out correctly to them they have huge problems getting the drift of the message. As for here..I don't care about spelling or grammar mistakes as long as I can follow the gist of the message.

el_carpo
29-10-2007, 07:43 AM
I know I'm digressing here and I'm sorry but this thread just reminded me of my junior college English professor. He was absolutely strict when it came to spelling. He told us in the first class that if you handed in ANY paper with ANY misspelled words, you would FAIL THE CLASS (not just get an F on the paper) automatically. He said if anyone had a problem with that, they had to change classes then and there or live with it. The class started with 35 students, at the end, there were five of us left. He said none of us would get an "A" because he prided himself on being the, "toughest grader in the country." I think he did it to challenge us. He knew that everyone looks down on the junior college kids and doesn't expect anything from them.

His tactic worked on me. Even though I was scared to death of misspelling something and failing, I was totally motivated to get an "A" and I did. I used a spell-check program, a dictionary, a thesaurus, anything I could find to help me. He told me that I was the second "A" student he ever had in his career and that my "A" was harder to earn than an "Ivy League A." (Ivy league schools are the top schools in the country.)

Telling me I couldn't do something and the added fear of, "instant grade death" pushed me to do my best. It was one of the toughest classes I've ever had but it was also the most rewarding.

The "A" I earned didn't count for more than any of the other "A's" earned by students of easier teachers, but it did to me.

Little grey men
29-10-2007, 03:24 PM
I use the good old dictionary. Spelling is something that I struggle with.
I figure that if I make the effort to look it up I might just retain it for a little while. The spelling of others doesn't worry me too much, unless someone else jumps on it and makes them feel like a goose ( but I'll tell you what, I'm typing this carefully now ) The text thing has me stumped though, it took me quite a while to work out what LMFAO was, and I thought LOL meant "Luscious old ladies".:-/

Tailortaker
30-10-2007, 12:15 PM
After my reply to this thread the other day I have taken some time to think about kingtin's point.. My reply was a bit ridiculous and I have decided to trial fire fox. I realized what he meant and since than I've picked up on a lot of spelling errors which have made me understand. I apologize for my reply and the "get over it" statement. It will make my life easier for me as well as the people that read my posts and now I can start using some bigger words that I couldn't even begin to spell previously...;D
Cheers TT
________
Toyota trekker history (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Trekker)

T1
31-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Hi All

I must agree that 'bad' spelling can be a real blight while trying to fathom what someone is saying and an indication as DR alluded to that is becoming today's generation... rather unfortunate! What happened to the good old days of spelling competitions etc? You don't mind the occassional mis-spelt word as that is the price of typing on a keyboard - fact is it happens and will always as you're trying to type quickly on a pad that was really invented for secretaries...

But simple words like CONGRATULATIONS become CONGRADULATIONS (or CONGRAD'S) are really just words that people believe are correct when they are incorrect. There are many examples but we all get the message of the thread.

Take Care T

Nic
31-10-2007, 11:15 PM
After my reply to this thread the other day I have taken some time to think about kingtin's point.. My reply was a bit ridiculous and I have decided to trial fire fox. I realized what he meant and since than I've picked up on a lot of spelling errors which have made me understand. I apologize for my reply and the "get over it" statement. It will make my life easier for me as well as the people that read my posts and now I can start using some bigger words that I couldn't even begin to spell previously...;D
Cheers TT

Good on ya TT for having the grit to say what you said, and for actually giving it a go... it's a win-win situation ain't it. 8-)

STUIE63
06-11-2007, 03:49 PM
I Think The Capital Thing Is Because People Use Caps Lock
When I typed the line above every letter was in capitals not just the first letter in every word
Stuie

bdowdy
07-11-2007, 10:20 AM
as long as you can read and half understand what the person is saying well its all good i say. lol cheers bdowdy..brett