PDA

View Full Version : Bertram 23

cyclone7332
26-10-2007, 11:33 AM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what tow capacity is required to tow a Bertram 23.

Does anyone have one that they could tell me what they are like.

Many thanks
Tony..

Noelm
26-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Big 4X4 or F100/250

Dirtysanchez
26-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Somthing rated to at least 3000kg+ I'd reckon ?

Landy disco, the new Patrols, or as Noel says, F250 or similar

Be careful also on width, I knew a guy who had a 25 and struggled with trailering it due to road regs. He ended up importing a 7.6mtr boat from the USA which is not as wide as a Berty so he could tow it with less hassle. If it is wide enough you need permits and flags etc and even a Wide load sign.. Load of BS I know, but yet another bizarre law to be aware of

Noelm
26-10-2007, 02:52 PM
don't think the 23 is too wide, but the 25 is , it does need a few fiddly things to make it legal, but not too bad.

boogsboat
26-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Hi Tony

My old man and I had a huntsman 23 which from what we could gather was basically out of the same mould. We had the fly bridge version with a 350 chev and bravo leg. Great little fishing boat that I wish we had never sold. But Dad wanted to upgrade.

Few Ideas you may wish to consider.

Single leg made it pretty ordinary to drive at low speed especially if there was any wind. Twin legs like in the 25 you drive by motors to keep boat going where you want.

Petrol was a concern wish we had converted it to 165 turbo diesel when we first got her.

They are starting to get a little old now check for osmosis if boat has been moored we had a little in ours.

Anyway it was a great boat and served us well

All the best
Nathan

BM
26-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Yep, the 23 is certainly trailable without any funky permits. Typically will need biminis and antennae and game poles etc down for transport or you would breach max height rules (4.3mtrs I think).

Ditto the remarks re single engine handling. Altohugh most 23's come standard with a 5.0ltr V8 typically.

Forget putting a 165hp turbo deisel into one. Unless you want to make it a displacement cruiser.

Osmosis should not be an issue with a Bertram since Bertrams were built using vinylester resin in the hull layup. Not saying it cannto happen but it is quite rare in a vinyl laid up boat. Much more common in a boat laid up with poly resin.

Towing weight should be under 3 ton also with a single power plant.

In terms of modifications etc any move away from standard (be it a Berty or any other brand) will severely damage the resale value. They are excellent boats and configured right from the factory.

I have seen some real abortions over the years. One goose in southern NSW had an ancient old 25 Berty (60's) with a single 165 turbo deisel. He spent 2 yrs trying to sell it and its no wonder because with such little power it couldn't plane. But it had great fuel economy......................

Cheers
Cheers