PDA

View Full Version : Miller rods

zaraspook
25-10-2007, 08:16 PM
has anybody ownded a miller rod and if so do you think they are worth the money. i am seriously considering a miller rod blademaster and just want to hear from some one who has had the pleasure to use one?

Franco
25-10-2007, 10:32 PM
Don't know about the blademaster mate, but I have 2 i.e.
- bream buster finesse
- jackxracta

Both absolutely unreal rods, but again very bloody expensive and probably not really value for money. But I love em and would buy them again without a second thought.

I have heard the after sale service is crap / next to hopeless if there is a problem, but can't say from personal experience.

What I can say is that you hardly see any for sale second hand - coz people keep em.

SimonT
26-10-2007, 08:30 AM
I have 2 - 1*Bream Buster and 1* Bream Buster finesse and love them too.

The standard Bream Buster is my favourite rod of all that I own.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the Blade you are chasing.

Like Franco said they are expensive, but in my opinion it is worth owning one if you can afford it.

Simon

Hardb8
26-10-2007, 09:16 PM
G'day Spook,
I've had a bash with a Blade Master Camoufish.It is a m8's,And I've used it for about 1/2 an hour.Not long enough for a good review but my thoughts are :- Very nice rod for casting and fishing the lighter end of the scale.Well suited to stuff like Bass and Bream if ya like ya rod to bend.

It seemed to cast 30m effortlessly lures around 1/2oz.And when a Bass of 35cm climbs on she buckles down nicely.Nice action.

Seemed to feel pretty light in weight for it's lenght too,From memory it's 7'6"???
It was paired with a Pixy at the time.

I was not a fan of the spiral wrap.The offset stripper (Righthand side) seemed to cause line bunching on the righthand side of the Pixy's spool through cast and retrieve.

I also thought that the guides themselves took some integrity away from the rod.The (Recoils) just look cheap and nasty.Although they seemed to perform O.K.

The binding also seemed a little excessive,With long overbinds on all the guides compared to what I've seen on all other top shelf stuff.

I am confused on weather I like this rod or not.

I spose I'd change the following for my personal preferences.

My ultimate Millerod

Change guides to Fuji titanium framed SIC's.And place them in the traditional format,No spiralwrap.Shorten up the bindings a bit.And possibly lose some of the excessive decals on the blank.Maybe even replace the split rear grip with a full grip reduced by 50mm in lenght.

Some of it cosmetic,And some performance changing.I know Mr Miller has forgotten more than I'll everknow about rod building.And everything is done as it is for a reason.But personally that is what I'd want as a consumer outlaying that kind of money.

Would I outlay that kind of cash for the production model Blademaster?No.
But If Mr Miller agreed to build me a custom,Yes I would.

On a whole it was nice to use.But I was happy to get my rod back in my hands.

Calling.................Hairypunt...What's ya thoughts on the Miller Ace???;D

zaraspook
26-10-2007, 11:13 PM
i think i might get something a little cheaper from the loomis stable

breamnut
27-10-2007, 08:01 AM
i dont think there are many people who dont like loomis.

landyman
27-10-2007, 11:14 AM
take a look at Black Diamond rods mate..

made by Steve Ross (the bloke who used to build Loomis rodes here) in NSW

AWSOME gear, built on US made blanks..

NAGG
27-10-2007, 11:15 AM
i think i might get something a little cheaper from the loomis stable

How much of a difference in price would there be between a top Loomis & Millerod ???? ..... not much I reckon
While I'm not familiar with the blademaster , the two millerods I own ( Breambuster brawler & Top end braid barra) are really smick rods ...... They stand out head & shoulder above any Loomis aesthetically ( Loomis always look cheap ... with very basic binding .. cork.. & butts) ..................... Are they ( Millerods) worth the $500 ( $600+ for some casting models) ... dunno:-/ But they are nice to use ..... but I'm always worried about breakage ...... Nagg

landyman
27-10-2007, 11:18 AM
How much of a difference in price would there be between a top Loomis & Millerod ???? ..... not much I reckon
While I'm not familiar with the blademaster , the two millerods I own ( Breambuster brawler & Top end braid barra) are really smick rods ...... They stand out head & shoulder above any Loomis aesthetically ( Loomis always look cheap ... with very basic binding .. cork.. & butts) ..................... Are they ( Millerods) worth the $500 ( $600+ for some casting models) ... dunno:-/ But they are nice to use ..... but I'm always worried about breakage ...... Nagg

I dont really care what the bindings etc look like.. its the weight of the rod, quality of the blank, action of the blank and components used that really get me to spend my $$..

It could be pink with purple dots all over it - I couldn't care less if it was an AWSOME rod

NAGG
27-10-2007, 05:27 PM
I dont really care what the bindings etc look like.. its the weight of the rod, quality of the blank, action of the blank and components used that really get me to spend my $$..

It could be pink with purple dots all over it - I couldn't care less if it was an AWSOME rod
:o
Gee I would have expected a good finish to go along with the performance ( I dont think too many would complain about the blank & componantry on a miller) .... Nagg
PS .... I'll look out for that Pink rod with purple dots for you - - - I think a couple of the Japanese manufacturers make Jig sticks that look like that ;)

landyman
27-10-2007, 05:35 PM
:o
Gee I would have expected a good finish to go along with the performance ( I dont think too many would complain about the blank & componantry on a miller) .... Nagg
PS .... I'll look out for that Pink rod with purple dots for you - - - I think a couple of the Japanese manufacturers make Jig sticks that look like that ;)

LOLOL - a good finish does not neccesarily mean a flashy finish..

the Black Diamond I have is excellently finished but not flashy.. and there is no questioning the performance

tully
27-10-2007, 06:33 PM
There is always the option of a custom rod Zara. Miller doesn't make blanks. You should be able to find someone in your area who can build you a decent rod on a quality blank with your choice of hardware and grip lengths and materials etc., probably for less $.

NAGG
27-10-2007, 06:57 PM
LOLOL - a good finish does not neccesarily mean a flashy finish..

the Black Diamond I have is excellently finished but not flashy.. and there is no questioning the performance

Have you seen those Jap jig sticks ???? .... whooo ...talk about over the top ::)
Mate I know what you mean ..... I've got a nitro ( not flashy ... but it uses an IM8 blank) .... & pretty good for $200.... 8-) Nagg

mungindi
27-10-2007, 07:51 PM
G/Day Zaraspook
Mate the Egrell rods are definetly worth a look another good Aussie rod if you are not sure about the Millers
Gary

spinyeel
28-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Just out of curiosity,what blanks are Miller Rods built on?

zaraspook
30-10-2007, 07:16 AM
i asked ian which blanks the rods were built on annd he replies custom made us blank. didnt say which maybe its a trade secret?

spinyeel
30-10-2007, 03:04 PM
I think if you were paying $800 for a rod,you'd want to know what blank it's built on.::) ::)

landyman
30-10-2007, 03:14 PM
I think if you were paying $800 for a rod,you'd want to know what blank it's built on.::) ::)

agree 100%

he'll gladly tell you which guides and seats he uses though :-/

NAGG
30-10-2007, 04:37 PM
i asked ian which blanks the rods were built on annd he replies custom made us blank. didnt say which maybe its a trade secret?

I have a feeling that they are Calstar blanks ( manufactured by) ...... I know that Ian had a bit to do with them prior to him setting up Millerods ( back in his Harbord tackle days) ...... Nagg

finga
30-10-2007, 06:03 PM
The secret maybe the tapers used, the materials used such as matting and resins and the curing process.
Lots of good rodbuilders get blanks made to their own specs and keep them very secret.

Steve B
31-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Zaraspook, Definatly check out the EGrell range. I have the barra rods and they are brilliant. I used to have Loomis and would never go back. I know a few bream, snapper and pelagic guys who rate the Egrell spin range very highly. Cost way less than Millerods! Definatly worth a look and compare the feel. The builder lives and FISHES salt water alot. He spends a lot of time gaining info from fishermen and their needs in a fishing rods. His designs and construction are maticulous and reflect the local fishing styles.

Hardb8
02-11-2007, 07:50 PM
G'day Spook,
Took a few shots of the Blademaster for ya today so ya can have a bit of a gander.

I recall hearing in a conversation somewhere the U.S. blank company Hastings being mentioned in conjunction with Millerods.

I can't say this is a fact though.Mr Miller is probably only one of a few that know for sure.I dig the secrecy.....Kinda 8-) .

Regards. B8.;)