PDA

View Full Version : Lyons Fishing Comp

QUITCHABITCHEN
25-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Anyone going to the lyons fishing comp at Awonga dam this weekend. Come and say hello to us we will be in THERENOVATIONS. Will be happy to recieve any advice and to meet you. We have our game plan, but are always subject to change.

Awoonga
26-10-2007, 08:47 AM
l could give you a piece of advice....But.....l will just say ...The 2008 event will be a bit more ABT style l hope.....The GAWB are looking at a plan for fishing Comps at Awoonga.... They will be based on catch and release only....

waggy
30-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Hope it's sooner rather then later. Digital camera/brag mat comps are the way to go. Any attempt to bring back Barra alive will result in deaths and thus a waste. If the angler isn't prepared to eat the fish, it should be quickly released. Comps run by ignorant people give all comps a bad name..
Ray

the_matrix
30-10-2007, 03:49 PM
I agree waggy.
Although I support the Lions club effort, I will not support this annual Barra cullfest until they get with the times.
Kill comps are a thing of the past, and family events like the Lions club barrafest are custom made for familys and kids.
That in itself is awesome, but it sends the wrong message to the grass roots of our sport, and that is its ok to kill fish for comps and then throw them in the bin.

The organisers of the Boyne Tannum Hook-up did an awesome thing this year and made the Barra section brag mat/photo instead of dead weigh in.
Bloody awesome.

Vote with ya feet I reckon, support the comps that support the future of fishing.
Cheers
Jas

deefa66
08-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Yeh Matrix totally agree with changing to C & R, we did fish the comp and my wife weighed in one 106cm although she didn't want to ( she did feel a little better when a fellow fisher said he would take it to eat instead of going into bin)
My young 8yr old son caught his first barra( which is why we go to this comp, have been doing it since the begining) he also didn't want to kill his fish (70cm) so he kept it alive in tank, had it tagged, named it and let it go with his best mate.

cheers Deefa

Awoonga
08-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Word off the grapevine is ...... l hope its right....GAWB Management Plan 2008... All fishing competitions will be Catch and release only based on ABT Format was passed by the board ....... Tuesday

SeekingBarradise
08-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Hi after Jas (matrix) excellent talk on thursday night at the L A D Y F I S H E R S COMP about catch & release events. The Manager of the family Lions event was present & decided then and there that next year would be catch & release.

He knows an incredible amount about the Gladstone regions history (from great grandpa's to 8 year old kids) and it's hard for us to find someone in the area that hasn't met him!!!! He is passionate about the environment & has done countless hours of unpaid work for the Gladstone region & Baffle Creek over 40 years etc.

Hats off to him for being positive-having humility & changing things. Based in Brisbane we think the Gladstone region is lucky to have people like this in the area. He is a great bloke & rates as one of the nicest & humble people we have met anywhere - he would give you the shirt of his back..

Support this change with your feet & we look forward to seeing everyone on here thats in to catch & release support the lions event next year.

Cheers Kel&Lyndon.

deefa66
08-11-2007, 07:34 PM
We were considering not doing next years comp, but if they change to C & R might have to show our support ( We had 15 people travel from Maleny for this comp )

Maleny Fishing Fanatics

the_matrix
08-11-2007, 09:20 PM
If it goes catch and release I will support it 100%, as would many others on this website and locally I'd think.

Hi lyndon and Kel, was good to catch up again.
Your 100% right the guy from Lions (who I did not know was present at the time) was a very genuine person. Top bloke actually.
He came over for a chat after the talk and was very positve about C&R.
Hope it happens, if it doesnt I am under the impression that GAWB will not let it proceed anyhow. Good on them, its the way of the future.
No more sulo bins with metre fish flapping around alive in them thank god!

As you say Lyndon, vote with your feet. Support the comps that support Catch and release.
Cheers
Jas