PDA

View Full Version : Your fish or mine?

freddofrog
23-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Ok here’s a question, if you are fishing two rods, both of which are yours, you have chosen the type of terminal tackle you want to use (leaders, swivels, hooks, knot types etc..), you’ve tied everything, set the drag, baited it and cast it. If the fish self-hooks (think circle hooks) but your mate reels it in, whose fish it yours or his?

My thinking is you’ve done all the technical “stuff”, he’s just merely provided muscle power to wind her in, so by rights, it should be classified as your fish, not that I’m competitive mind you J .

What do you guys think?
ff

ashh
23-10-2007, 07:41 PM
I get just as much of a buz watching a mate pull in a nice fish like I do getting my own. All beit on my own rods and reels I dont mind at all, but if he catches it, and decides to keep it, rulz are rulz and he must gut, scale and fillet it. I have rods setup for the 'occasional' fisherman, cheapish rods and reels but with the same terminal tackle I use on my good personal setups. If they were to bring there own gear I doubt they would get many fish, and I do like the company so if they catch fish there likely to want to come out again.

ffejsmada
23-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Well I don't know whos fish it would be but I know one thing. And that is that if anyone grabbed my rod when I had a hit I'd tell them to f**k off!!!!!
The rod can stay there with fish attached until I'm ready to deal with it.
So I guess in that case it would be my fish;D;D;D

Cheers.

Tassie JR
23-10-2007, 07:56 PM
I think if your mate goes in halves with the bait and petrol, what fish you get should be split equally between you and him, dont matter who winds it in its all about teamwork. your mate might be winding him in on your rod but you might still have to help him gaff/net him. which therefore its both yours and his fish. yous can have a fillet each.

cheers tassie JR

fish-n-dive
23-10-2007, 08:07 PM
LOL....;D.......your scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to come up with new posts............LOL............but in the interests of the exercise, if he/she pulls it in then in my book it's theirs!!!............8-)

fish-n-dive
23-10-2007, 08:09 PM
PS......I'd never fish with a 'you snooze, you loose sunshine' person !!

Tailortaker
23-10-2007, 08:29 PM
When my mate and I are fishin for squire we use two rods each, If he has a hook up on one rod than his other goes off I'll reel it in for him but i claim it as HIS fish and vice versa....
________
Uggs (http://uggstoreshop.com/)

tunaticer
23-10-2007, 08:50 PM
If I take any mate out for a day fishing in my boat I only take a portion of the fish after the guest has got a feed at least for his family. I do not need to squabble over any fish caught ever, even if I caught them all and my friend caught nothing. The guest gets the first meals and I take a meal after he has taken his. If we have had a bountiful day and several feeds involved I will split right down the middle with him / her.

Enjoying the fishing is what it is all about, not who caught what crap. If that sentiment comes aboard my boat it is never an enjoyable day.

Jack.

Why-ting
23-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Well I don't know whos fish it would be but I know one thing. And that is that if anyone grabbed my rod when I had a hit I'd tell them to f**k off!!!!!
So I guess in that case it would be my fish;D;D;D

Cheers.

Funny stuff Jeff, I agree totally

Cammy
23-10-2007, 09:45 PM
when me and my mate go fishing, i would bring three rods and he would bring one, but i would give him a rod to use. and i dont care if he catches a fish on it and calls it his because he rigs the rod up himself lol, im too lazy.

cam

Jeremy87
23-10-2007, 09:53 PM
I had to choose the both option. While ultimately the person who winds in the fish is the person who catches it, in many ways it is the skipper who catches the fish and the crew are merely muscle. but in the situation you just stated i agree with ffejsmada, if someone took my rod without me asking them to or if i wasn't already playing a fish i'd tell them where to go if i was skipper. I like taking blokes out for a fish and i always run on the basis of 50% fuel share and you can use my gear if your willing to replace what you loose/brake, so i normally make it my mission as skipper to make sure my crew catch something and take home a feed when appropriate.

Volvo
23-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Sometimes there's more of knack to landing the fish than the way the tackle was masde up..
Your mates offcourse and sharing in the thrill as well as the fish as far as i'm concerned is only way ta go...
My opnion mindya...

VoodooChile78
23-10-2007, 10:49 PM
The question is...why aren't you catching the fish?? If it was "your" rod...what were you doing while he took it?

The fish is not caught until you touch the leader...so if he winds it in, in my book it's his catch...though if it was your boat and he was a guest he probably should hand it over as thanks for taking him along.

finga
24-10-2007, 06:16 AM
Doesn't really matter to me.
I only ever fish one rod.
I get too confused with more then one :dizzy:

Cobia Kid
24-10-2007, 07:01 AM
Mate Alex (sik008) HAayden and I, were fishing at a jetty one day. As the bite rate was low, Hayden decided to go for a swim, he hands the rod to Alex and says *watch this for me* just as Hayden was about to get in, his rod having 12 pound line on it, his reel starts screaming. Alex has already started to play the fish from the snags etc, and Hayden raced back to grab the rod. hayden restled Alex for about 15 secs to get the rod off him, Alex was the bigger person and stepped back and said *fine, just land the fish* and by some miracle he landed the fish and it was a 38 cm trevally. Has this happened to anyone else and how did you deal with it?
Cheers
Jamie

Sean
24-10-2007, 07:38 AM
i voted his, but would constantly remind him it was mine

bayfisher
24-10-2007, 07:50 AM
Its neither here nor there to me who winds the fish in, I usually fish off one side of the boat and the deckie off the other and look after my rods and they after theirs but if I'm busy or already hooked up then i would expect them to grab my rod, there's no point losing a fish in the boat because the rod is being unattended too. There is more to fishing then winding them in anyway, You have to know the area your fishing, know what the weather is doing and how best to fish an area, then of coarse find the fish and bait schools etc etc. Then if you hook something big some one has to clear the other lines and has to drive the boat to give chase, which find is just as important to catching the fish as winding it in. Hence fishing out of my boat is generally a team effort anyway. Further more some of my mates that come out with me don't have there own gear so they use mine and my plastics. I'm happy to put them on to some good fish as some don't fish very often and get just as much enjoyment seeing them land a big fish as i do out of landing one myself.

freddofrog
24-10-2007, 09:02 AM
LOL...some very interesting replies guys. To shed a bit more light on my views, I'm more interested in bragging rights (in jest naturally ;D ) rather than anything else. Somehow when we go fishing it seems to end up in some friendly competition so deciding whose fish it is can be amusing ::) . (On the weekend I got pipped at the post by a double header-haha you win some you loose some!)

Definately agree that with bigger fish it is a team effort but I never caught anything that required skipper intevention (yet!), only a gaff man. And wrt to who keeps the fish, depends on who comes out, if it's fishing virgins they generally get the lot including not having to contribute for fuel - more important they just have a good day. For fisho mates fish, fuel and bait is generally split evenly and any takers are also split evenly.

cya
ff

mini696
24-10-2007, 10:00 AM
He who reels the fish, keeps the fish. A couple of times I have been fishing with friends and he'll be off pissing or whatever, so I will grab his rod if it goes off. However, if he returns I will offer it back to him.

Usually if I am away from my rod I ask my mate to look after it, and he knows any fish caught during that time is his.

bayfisher
24-10-2007, 10:21 AM
If your worried about bragging rights get some one to take a photo of both of you holding the fish (if its big enough) then each can tell their own story ;D .

Little grey men
24-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Good manners would dictate that the catch should go to the person attending the rod. But having said that, I guess it would depend on how violently the rod tip was pulled down into the water. In that case it would be.....THAT"S MY BLOODY ROD, GET THE HELL AWAY FROM IT YA MONGREL.>:(

Scott nthQld
24-10-2007, 11:06 AM
I've been arguing with my dad over this very subject for a couple of years now.

We were both fishing for barra with live baits, when one of his rod gets a hit, he picks it up and starts fighting, then his other rod hes a bigger hit, which I pick up and offer to him, "here this fish is bigger" to which he replies as his fish jumps, "no way this is a barra, go boil you head", ok so I start fighting the obviously larger fish. Dad boats his fish to measure a 57cm barra, and a shor time after mine is netted and measured at 83cm, also a barra.

Of course, being not only our first barra's since we moved from Wollongong but our one and only double barra hook up to date I still lay claim to the fish, I fought it, I netted it, I measured it, dad just did all the technical stuff (rigs etc.), I even offered to swap fish when the fished was first hooked which as I said he turned down (idiot) But he still insists that the fish was his for the reason that it was his gear it was caught on etc. but then I remind him, I caught the livies in my cast net (he can't throw one, bad back) and the fish would never have been hooked if there was no live bait (I am very careful with my wording here, in case I slip up and mistakenly admit defeat).

We have taken our case to other family members and freinds and it is still a split decision, though I know I'm right. The stupid thing is about 10 years ago, when I was a kid, dad caught a monster lizard on mum's rod (it went just under a metre) and happily claimed the fish as his own, every time I mention this, he just says, times have changed, that was just a flathead??!??! Bull, that is NOT just a flathead, but a fish of a lifetime that many anglers aspire to. (BTW flathead was of course released)

So what do you reckon? Even after I offered the fish when it was hooked and he refused, is the fish still mine? I don't think so, I KNOW so.

the gecko
24-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Hmmm, I agree with jeff, what was he doing touching your rod?

A few years ago I was fishing with a mate, and my rod went off while I was busy pissing over the side. He just looked at me, and I said 'its ok, I'll deal with it in a minute". It never occured to him to pick up my rod......because he was considerate, and would not want to claim a fish on someone elses rod.

I reckon you should have screamed louder when he went for your rod. When in doubt, refer to rule no 1, the skipper is always right.

cheers
Andrew

Fafnir
24-10-2007, 04:22 PM
I would always check with the person who owns the rod first, to see if they want me to leave it for them, commence playing the fish for them, or if they want me to land the fish. If they say 'You take it' because they are busy, then it's my fish for the purpose of bragging rights, and visa versa if someone else takes my rod. I would always expect the person to ask first, but if they land a fish on my rod, it's their fish.

Bragging rights over a beer at the end of the day are very important. I can see how this could cause some ongoing debate. The main thing to keep in mind is that your rules around this are always correct and you should be as pig headed and uncompromising in defending them as is humanly possible.

tunaticer
24-10-2007, 06:12 PM
I couldnt give two rats arses about bragging rights. I fish for the pleasure and have no need to catch the biggest or the best of anything. Been there done that and got well and truly over it. If im busy the deckie can take the fish no probs. If he is using one of my rods he is entitled to land whatever takes the bait.

I would think twice about being the deckie with some of the answers here.

Jack.

boogsboat
24-10-2007, 06:49 PM
I don't think there is anything funnier then watching the look on my best mate and fishing partner's face as he returns from taking a leak and seeing me land a decent tailor on his rod. He always claims it as his and then the war of words begins. what a great way to spend an early morning on the beach taking the piss out of each other and our fishing styles. Good Fun. Even funnier when his old man is there and he takes my side.

Cheers Nathan

polky
24-10-2007, 07:01 PM
When I take a mate to the reef we go halfs in fuel and bait, halfs in fish fillets, we both fillet and wash boat down.Onl time this would change is if it is there first red or trout. We have that much fun who realy cares.

freddofrog
24-10-2007, 08:25 PM
...what a great way to spend an early morning on the beach taking the piss out of each other and our fishing styles. Good Fun...

Here here, piss taking is all part of the good ol' aussie culture ;D

Tropicaltrout
24-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Finga got it only one rod for me aswell.

TT

oldboot
24-10-2007, 10:16 PM
A but a more important question.

If he didn't touch your rod and he didnt land the fish and either the fish was lost or the fish took the rod & reel over the side home with him.

Who's fault is it:-/

cheers

Pretzil
24-10-2007, 10:25 PM
I dont know whos fish it should be, but in my experience the handover of a rod more likely to give the fish a chance to get off than anything else, the slight drop of the rod and it has slack line.

I only ever hand a rod back to some1 if i have picked it up first if it is running fast, if not, im not risking it

JRBK
25-10-2007, 10:52 AM
So long as there is fish in the esky at the end of the day, we ususally just split them even. Depends on the fish also. If all the same species are being pulled in, the yeah split evenly. If a 1 of species gets landed, then whoevers gear catches it, then it goes them.

Cobia Kid, in your case, i'd be saying that Hayden went for the swim, then he loses the fish.
Cheers
Homerjrb

NAGG
29-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Quite often this happens .... My gear , tie lure , make rig , make suggestions etc ! ..... But if I don't make the cast ..... its not mine! ...... & I wouldn't have it any way!
I got my butt kicked at Lake Cania ..... When I ripped off a mates prawn imitation SP .... & changed it over to a lighter weighted bass minnow in pumpkin seed! ...... I fished Spinnerbaits & HBs ...... The end result ... I was out fished 11 - 2.5 ( but I have the satisfaction in knowing the reality) .... Nagg

Lovey80
29-10-2007, 06:44 PM
I think this topic is very funny and am sure this has taken on many a "debate" with fisho's over the year. I'm on a similar lines with Bayfisher. When I take someone out with me we fish 4 rods. Although all 4 are mine for that day two of them are the deckies. He/She rigs, baits, castes etc "his" 2 rods all day. Anything that is landed on those two rods are his to keep. If there is a double hook up where I am needed to fight on his second rod I would not be handing it over until it is landed and I suppose I would have bragging rights if it was a tropy fish but at the end of the day he would be eating the fish. He rigged, baited and cast it I just helped reel it in.

Thats my take and the rules on my boat.

P.S. If my deckie was a complete novice where i had to rig, bait and cast then it would still be his fish because they are "his" rods for the day.

Cheers Chris

jtpython
29-10-2007, 06:53 PM
When going out on a trip we are there to catch fish and relax and enjoy the day.
I usauly that my father cause he always took me as a kid and taught me everything i know, And if a mate comes along they throw in for petrol and usauly the rigs are all made up and i have spare gear in the boat at all times.
So to answer the question the fish are filleted the boat cleaned and the fillets divided up between us . So i don't claim a fish wether mate caught it or not (unless it's a big one then out comes the camera for heaps of pics) cause if we catch a small reef i always put a livey on the bottom and if someone else caught the bait and i get a trout or cod off the bottom on it does it make it my fish or half fishes lol.
Everyone gives a hand in some way or another i guess in every situation
Cheers JT

Dunco
29-10-2007, 08:09 PM
If it is a big enough fish I surpose you can share. But if it is pan size, you snooze you loose. Or you say give me that rod or I'll crush your windpipe! (if your bigger than him!!!)

Covertfly
12-11-2007, 07:56 AM
For me its, share and share alike, A share in fuel, bait etc, (dead or live). Share the driving if your trolling, take turns on strike (As they do on big game boats - Allocated time slots on strike - if your rod goes off too bad your not on strike,
unless its a double hook up of course - then its closest to it with possible use of a careful shoulder to make your way to your rod)

Thats game fishing, if your fishing for bread and butter or dropping deep bottom bouncing or even jigging, you should be holding your rod or be in reach of it. If not you snooze your loose, But those fish etc that are kept for a feed should be split up as even as possible.

Also as previously stated, even if your not on the rod you may still be need to help land/trace the fish etc. In the case of Large game fish it is a real team effort and all involved are equally important to either the capture or the tagging and releasing of the fish.

Cheers Craig

Davemclean
13-11-2007, 03:28 AM
if a mate lands a fish, on my gear, it his fish

baitwaster
13-11-2007, 05:22 AM
yep - whoever is holding the rod when the fish comes in owns it

Member101
17-02-2010, 04:52 PM
maybe there should be a 4th option... 'we rarely catch a fish worth keeping so it has never really been a problem'

Steve

finding_time
18-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Ok here’s a question, if you are fishing two rods, both of which are yours, you have chosen the type of terminal tackle you want to use (leaders, swivels, hooks, knot types etc..), you’ve tied everything, set the drag, baited it and cast it. If the fish self-hooks (think circle hooks) but your mate reels it in, whose fish it yours or his?

My thinking is you’ve done all the technical “stuff”, he’s just merely provided muscle power to wind her in, so by rights, it should be classified as your fish, not that I’m competitive mind you J .

What do you guys think?
ff

Well come to the world of game fishing!!! Well it's so similar it's not funny! When i take people out on my boat, they fish my rods, using my lures that i've rigged or my bait's that i've rigged ,i leave the helm to set the spread then return there asap, i drive over my marks and spend all day looking out for signs of fish, once the fish is hooked drive the boat as best a possible to secure the catch then reset the spread and return to the helm!!! All of this is good i love putting newby's onto the biggest fish they'll ever catch but when you get back to the ramp it's a bit much when they give you shite because they caught more fish than you!!:o

trymyluck
18-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi
Last September we (Apollo and I) were trolling back into 1770 with 2 lines out when the rod on my side gets hit and starts tearing line off. No discussion was needed, Steve grabbed the other rod and reeled it in while I grabbed the rod in question. The end result was a small marlin. Now I could say it is my fish because I reeled him in but end of the day it was teamwork and luck so in my mind it belongs to both of us. We also as a rule share our catch, trophy fish aside.

Mark

timddo
19-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Interesting topic.

If i go fishing with my dad or family - they get all the glory and can claim all the fishes if they want. Coz i know it's going to one location for lunch ( usually a family gathering on weekends and all fishes are consumed.

With Deckies, we usually split the fishes equally after a day's fishing as i usually go 3-4 people anyway. My deckies usually bring their own rods and i have my own collection and will only allow the use of my rods if asked. Some rods are out of bounds regardless if i fish or not as they are my favourites ( now thats an old 7'6 foot ugly stick ( got from alchemy) and a TSS4.

As for deckies grabbing rods, If the deckies rod goes off while he is pissing, i would gladly start the procedure and hand it back. There is no skill in picking up the rod from the rod holder as the fish goes for a run ( assuming drag has been set properly) and vice versa.

tropicrows
19-02-2010, 12:41 PM
So I guess in that case it would be my fish

Cheers.

Yep I agree with you, my rod so bloody leave it alone unless I say you can play with it. However if I give the OK and then they hook a fish, then it's theirs.

TimiBoy
19-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Here's the picture.

Wags is fighting a fish on the Port side. His plastic kit goes off, but it's unattended. I grabbed it, and had a decent fight getting a 6 kg Snapper off the bottom in 80 metres.

I've got the fish half way up, and Wags comes over, "hand it over buddy." Oh yeah right, response unprintable!

My boat, MY FISH, MATE!

Cheers,

Tim

tropicrows
19-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Yep, I should have known you bring that up.

Fishing rule no 5, If your in another boat, and the skipper grabs your rod let him reel it in, otherwise it could be a long swim home. ;D

trymyluck
19-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Yep, I should have known you bring that up.

Fishing rule no 5, If your in another boat, and the skipper grabs your rod let him reel it in, otherwise it could be a long swim home. ;D

Whats the 4 rules before No 5??????????;D

TimiBoy
19-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Whats the 4 rules before No 5??????????;D

Who cares? My Boat, MY FISH!!!

;D;D;D;D

Tim

trymyluck
19-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Who cares? My Boat, MY FISH!!!

;D;D;D;D

Tim

Wasn't that what Capt Bligh sort of said many years ago, just before they threw him over the side...........;D

TimiBoy
20-02-2010, 08:52 AM
and to those who say it's both folks fish, there's no competition, I say BOLLOCKS! EVERYTHING in life is a competition!

;D;D;D;D

Cheers,

Tim