PDA

View Full Version : $1380 repairs excessive for trailer?

fender22
23-10-2007, 05:35 AM
HI all, looking for some feedback. Just had a fair bit of work done on my tandem trailer. Had the calipers done, discs machined, new brake lines done, wheel bearings and a roadworthy. Bill ended up $1380.00. I know there are a lot of variables here but it was all pretty standard work? Does this sound reasonable?

joeT
23-10-2007, 06:12 AM
Sounds expensive. Did they provide a breakdown of the work?

Chimo
23-10-2007, 06:27 AM
Did they advise you that the first time you drown the brakes in salt water your 12 month warranty on the brake job is void?

Do the brakes work like they never have before?

Costly but you do often get what you pay for.

Chimo

PADDLES
23-10-2007, 07:36 AM
labour's the killer fender. workshop chargeout can be anywhere from $65/hr to $85/hr and it soon adds up. 6 hours work can be $500 easy.

PeterInSA
23-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Had my single axle boat trailer fixed with a similar job in Feb for $640. one organisation that quoted on the job (similar price) does not do the work anymore saying that boaties do not wash down the wheels/brakes after the trailer has had a swim, then the owner blames them for brake problems.

In SA most boat ramps have washing facilities part of the $7 fee. I RP7/CRC the brakes before and after the trailer goes for a swim, don't know how long this will extend the life of the discs/ calipers..

In SA we don't have roadworthy's, all trailers are expected to be roadworthy

FNQCairns
23-10-2007, 09:26 AM
If a person assumes the $380 is for all parts and machining and brake line fitting /removal that still leaves $500 per axel in labour, so (and I know it wouldn't be) even at $100 per hour that's 2.5 hours per wheel, it's excesive IMO. Possibly by 25% - 40% depending on their hourly rate and the degree of 'trouble' they had which can be highly dependent on how good the mechanic is.

cheers fnq

gawby
23-10-2007, 09:45 AM
This trailer repair is a bit like this story.::)
My daughter just bought a realy good s/h vx commadore, purchased through a wholesale outlet so no warranty not that one is needed with quality of car.:D
The electric window arms slide in a plastic clip which were broken. I fixed the problem for $5-00.:)
A friend of my daughters had the same problem and was quoted $750-00 to have the problem fixed.:o :o
So at the end of the day i think the trailer repairs are a bit excessive but maybe they are right as if a detailed list was produced to see what realy went on a better judgement could be made.:-/

Graeme;)

bayfisher
23-10-2007, 02:11 PM
It does sounds excessive, a whole new axle, braked disk hubs and bearings are not overly expensive from some where like active fabrication. I suppose the labour must have been the killer component.

Cheers Chris

fender22
23-10-2007, 02:32 PM
I’ve had another look at it and it seems to stack up? Doesn’t look to bad when u break it down like that I suppose. He apparently used special non corrosive tubing and flexible hoses? I think if I got done anywhere it could have been in the pipe? Could be wrong but sounds like a lot for a bit of piddly tube and a few fittings? Don’t know what’s involved in recoing the calipers? Labor seemed reasonable and a fair hourly rate. I would have taken every one of those 5 hours just to do the bearings and would look like “mammy” afterwards and smell like axle grease for the next 3 weeks! To be honest, I can’t feel a great deal of difference in braking but I don’t like hydraulic trailer brakes anyway. All they seem to do is jerk your vehicle around?

$85 per hr labor (5hrs) $425
Tubing, bits and pcs $200
Flex hoses, bits and pcs $130
Bearings $119
Machining $ 77
Pads $ 55
Reco calipers $270
Roadworthy $ 75
Bits and pcs, grease, oil $ 32

$1382

gawby
23-10-2007, 05:34 PM
By the looks of the break down of your bill it doesn't look to bad as it would appear the the brakes and bearings were rooted.
Labour is the killer in any repair.
Lets hope you get a good run out of it now.
I always spend a bit of time at the carwash on the way home spraying heaps of water over the brakes to give them a good wash.
Graeme

shano
23-10-2007, 09:18 PM
yes that pipe and tubing is expensive.jus repaired a tandam and for that it was a little over $300

captain rednut
23-10-2007, 09:21 PM
hi fender sounds fair to me and dont forget labours not cheap anymore?