PDA

View Full Version : 4.5 mtr Brooker Safari.........Comments Please

Reel Nauti
22-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi all

In our quest to find something to replace Reel Nauti (4.4 Savage Jabiru) we have looked at a considerable number of boats. Quinnies, Sea Jay, Stessco, Stessl, Stacer to name most, but it seems at this stage that what appears to be the best value for money may lie with the Brooker.

With pedestal seats, front casting deck, rear casting deck, wide coamins, rear boarding step, side pockets, anchor well, bow and side rails and the high sides we were after etc this boat seems good value at around $5800. Add another $1750 for the trailer. We don't need a motor as we intend using the new 40hp 4 stroke Yammie which we bought last Christmas. A dealer has also offered to consider trading Reel Nauti's hull and trailer.

As an open boat, I should imagine the Brooker may be inclined to be a little wet in a chop, but generally speaking what does everyone think? Does it sound good value to you? Does anyone have one? I'd really appreciate your comments with no punches pulled!

Cheers and thanks in advance

Dave

joeT
22-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Brookers are good value. Owned a 4.1 Fisherman and the pricing was on par with other brands, but you get a lot of goodies thrown in. Build quality was comparable to other mass produced brands and didn't have any issues during the 2 years I had it. Brooker trailer was also well built and came with free alloys.

However, is there any particular reason for the upgrade? Your existing boat seems to be of similar size.

Reel Nauti
22-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks JoeT

The Jabiru is a v nosed punt. Low sides and not such a lot of boat. My wife wants higher sides and as we do quite a bit of camping we often have the boat well loaded. The different configuration of the Brooker and co provides for a vastly different boat with higher sides, huge floor space, width, depth etc.

Cheers

Dave

joeT
22-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Understood. Brooker sounds like a good choice for your needs. The 4.1 got me out in the bay to Mud, Peel, Green etc. and got me home through some rough afternoons as well. As you mentioned it is a wet boat because it is an open boat but no wetter than other comparable tinnies.

My only other comment is to have a chat with the guys at Marine Tune in Burleigh before you commit. They did me a great deal and a good trade in price, and were honest guys to deal with - promises kept (including delivery time) which is the way it should be.

gawby
23-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Dave,

I bought a 5mt brooker a couple of boat shows ago and am very happy with it.:D
I went around the boat show for 2 days and couldn't get a better deal.:)
I bought it from Marine Tune at Burleigh Heads. I think with the package $12k.
I looked at the one you are looking at and it was about the $10,500-
Graeme;)

bay_firey
23-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Dave

Why you want a new boat ??
You haven't been fishing since moving to the big smoke ??

MyWay
23-10-2007, 11:21 PM
i got 4.5 safari
and i can tall you i m very happy whit it
i got it now for 6 mounts and

there is no much deference than rest of boats same size
part of the brooker 450 is 3 mm bottom and sides are 2 mm
and rest boats are( Quinnies, Sea Jay, Stessco, Stessl, Stacer) 3 and 1.6 or 2 and 1.6 etc
u will not look back

no luck

boogsboat
24-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Hey Dave,

Iam Waiting on the delivery of BoogsBoat my new 5m Discovery centre console. Absolute bargain in terms of what I am getting with all the mods I have asked for like extending the motor splash well to just below the transom as the boat is quite open there.

The only thing that I can say is wrong with the boats is they are not deep enough I would have liked an extra 100mm or so of freeboard. But apart from that you won't find a better priced boat. I Know because I tried.

All the best Nathan

Reel Nauti
24-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Mark we want to upgrade Reel Nauti for the reasons previously stated, although we haven't hit the water since we moved here things are about to change after Christmas. Work has been extremely demanding and I have to admit I have been fairly struggling with coping with my new position in the 'corporate' world. I have found the pressure to be immense and I'm still not completely confident or secure in my new role. Things aren't always prettier further up the ladder, and it seems there's quite a few at the bottom who enjoy shaking it!!

The New Year will see my load ease up and I have promised the troops that we will be spending time on the water. Hopefully at least every second weekend.

Checked out the prices at Marine Tune and a couple of others but no one could come even remotely close to the well known dealer at Clontarf.

It looks as though we will go with the 4.5 Safari but I'll make a definate decision on the weekend.

Cheers and thanks everyone for your comments and Graeme for the pics. Nice looking boat mate!

Cheers all

Dave