PDA

View Full Version : Reccomended oil for 1987 Merc 135 OB?

fender22
22-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Hi fellers. I have a mate who cooked his merc and the mechanic at the dealers told him it was because he didn't use mercury two stroke oil? Is there any truth to this? I've always used Shell or BP.

Another issue...I suggested to someone today that from now on I will use premium unleaded fuel and was told outboards perform worse with premium? I assumed the higher octane would make it easier to start?

tez1
22-10-2007, 09:53 PM
hi fender22,i use regular fuel in my merc 90,never had any drama,100% Synthetic outboard oil will give you less smoke and sheen on the water and is bio-degradeable. and TC-W3. Semi-synthetic is almost as good.have a look here http://www.mercurymarine.com/serviceandwarranty/outboardfaqs/fuel.php#3 for merc recommended..the oil i use now is quicksilver..

tez

PADDLES
23-10-2007, 07:39 AM
no truth mate. as long as you use the tcw3 grade it should be ok. most people will recommend not mixing different grades of oil but i think that all of the tcw3 oils should do the job in a motor like that merc. use standard unleaded in it too, premium is a waste of money in an unmodified conventional 2s.

SO70
23-10-2007, 09:13 PM
sounds like oil injection failure if its still connected.
mercury v6 oil injection is guaranteed to fail at some time