PDA

View Full Version : new braid form sunline.

breamnut
22-10-2007, 03:40 PM
i have said good bye to fireline forever after finding the new sunline super pe
the 8lb is as thin as 2lb fireline:o its not an igfa braid so the 8lb breaks for about 12lb breaking strain.
super thin and super soft.
it also casts a mile but the best thing about it is it is almost as cheap as fireline and the bulk spools even cheaper! $50 at narang camping disposils for a 300m spool.

Fafnir
22-10-2007, 05:09 PM
$50 at narang camping disposils for a 300m spool.

That is cheap. Sunline is top quality line, knots well, casts beautifully. Can't go wrong at that price.

Flattie Assassin
22-10-2007, 06:10 PM
thanks for the heads up breamnut... ;D

Tangles
22-10-2007, 08:10 PM
yep ill sing the praises of sunline as well, top stuff, have the 16lb stuff, brilliant, also their leader isnt too bad either
mike

mattooty
22-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Its one of the best things ive ever used! Compared to fireline, this stuff is heaven.
Ive got 22lb (i think) on one of my spinning reels and 8lb on my flathead gear.
Ive also found sunlines mono to be very good quality and cheap!

Captain Jack Zero
22-10-2007, 09:34 PM
i have been using the 10 pound sunline for about 5 months now.yes it is the most brilliant line ever used for me, but i put a couple of extra twists in a uni knot.because ive had a couple of breaks there.also it deteriorates quicker than fireline.good luck.

nigelr
23-10-2007, 06:12 AM
Will agree with the quality of Sunline mono, prob the best I've ever used.
Haven't seen it down our way for several years unfortunately, Siglon I think it was called, fantastic stuff. The super pe sounds like another excellent product.
Cheers.

breamnut
23-10-2007, 10:08 AM
i use the sunline fluro the herd rock fish and its the best leader ive ever used.
the sunline cast away looks awsome to but at $60 for 1 spool is also expensive!

Fafnir
23-10-2007, 12:00 PM
I use Sunline cast away and their Siglon fluro. It's great stuff. Pretty much only use Sunline on my better reels.

Splash
25-12-2007, 09:36 AM
i have been using the 10 pound sunline for about 5 months now.yes it is the most brilliant line ever used for me, but i put a couple of extra twists in a uni knot.because ive had a couple of breaks there.also it deteriorates quicker than fireline.good luck.

This quote concerns me - if it so good - but yet deterioates quickly.::)

SPlash

breamnut
25-12-2007, 10:00 AM
ive still got that same sunline from when i wrote this post and its fine.
i will never use foreline again

Splash
25-12-2007, 10:37 AM
How does it comapre to braid?

Is sunline a form of fireline and nto braid?

Splash

disorderly
25-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Splash I've just started using braid this year.
After trying a cheaper brand (it kept breaking)I've found that suffix braid is great for what I use it for,which is deeper water fishing off the reefs.
For most every thing else I use mono as its cheaper,more durable and lasts for a long,long time.
In fact I still have and use spools of unused mono in many different poundages left over from when my dad had a small tackle store when I was knee high to a grasshopper.Its over 30 years old!!!and I have no problems with it.
BTW a happy Xmas to benji and the rest of the family.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Scott

MY-TopEnder
25-12-2007, 11:12 AM
I'll also sing the praises of Sunline.

I've got Castaway spooled on my Emeraldas with Yamatoyo leader and absolutely love the stuff.

Leighton
25-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Its very similar to Nitlon Pe but cheaper, good stuff

Splash
25-12-2007, 12:36 PM
why is it soooo good - as opposed to others though?

SPlash

breamnut
25-12-2007, 01:06 PM
How does it comapre to braid?

Is sunline a form of fireline and nto braid?

Splash
i havent used good braid like cast away i i really like it.

nuggstar
25-12-2007, 05:09 PM
cast away is so so good, its worth the $65

Tangles
25-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Why is it so good? its the vibe;D, well my first braid experience was fireline which was like old rope, then repooled to fireline crystal which i thought was pretty good then got put onto Sunline Castaway, magic, great to cast and good feel. I prefer mono myself but if using braid around the Bay its brilliant stuff, as to offshore dont know

Flattie Assassin
27-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Yeah, the word is out. Castaway is really good line, but a little expensive. It's so fine and soft. It just fly's off the spool. The diameter of sunline is the selling point though. It's just so thin compared to fireline. I did have a few problems changing over from fireline, being used to the stiffness. Found myself getting knots upon casting. All good now though. I'm leaning more towards braids and away from fireline at the moment. Not that i don't like fireline, it's just experimentation i guess.

FA

Scorpion1080
27-12-2007, 10:26 AM
For most of my fishing I use "Famell SW Super PE" from Yamatoyo.

It is expensive but I find I can cast at least 1/3 longer with it than fire-line and it is a sexy sexy line to use.

Expensive though, around $60 for 150m of 8lb braid.

Splash
27-12-2007, 11:10 AM
All sounds good but is there a certain criteris for braids on threadlines as opposed to braid on overheads..?

I am pretty sure differnt braid types/designs suit the way both reel types work and peel off line...

SPlash

Flattie Assassin
27-12-2007, 02:53 PM
It's a original thing in each case. I have read of guys trying a few different lines on certain reels, till they work out which one casts best on that reel etc.

Leighton
27-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Flattie are you tieing your leader straight to the braid in a single strand or doubling the line. I ran 20lbs Cast away for a while but had issues with my 16lbs leader being cut by the main, changed to Nitlon and have not had an issue although I prefer the feel of Cast Away

Flattie Assassin
27-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Flattie are you tieing your leader straight to the braid in a single strand or doubling the line.

Single strand, five turn surgeons knot.

banshee
27-12-2007, 05:27 PM
why is it soooo good - as opposed to others though?

SPlash

The thing that sets Castaway apart from the others is it's composition.In the industry it is known as a 'HG-PE typeII' as opposed to a 'Super PE'(entry level),HG-PE (one before castaway) or HG-PE typeIII(one after Castaway and top of the tree).Castaway is different from base PE/Braids because for starters it's HG,meaning High Grade consisting of 8 carriers instead of the standard 4 and it is typeII wich means it is a hybrid consisting of pollyethelene mixed with polyester.

Splash
27-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Splash I've just started using braid this year.
After trying a cheaper brand (it kept breaking)I've found that suffix braid is great for what I use it for,which is deeper water fishing off the reefs.
For most every thing else I use mono as its cheaper,more durable and lasts for a long,long time.
In fact I still have and use spools of unused mono in many different poundages left over from when my dad had a small tackle store when I was knee high to a grasshopper.Its over 30 years old!!!and I have no problems with it.
BTW a happy Xmas to benji and the rest of the family.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Scott

Thanks Disorderly.

Hope Santa has been kind to you!

Splash

5Zigen
28-12-2007, 06:57 PM
HG-PE typeIII(one after Castaway and top of the tree)

Some useful info there Banshee...thanks.

I've been using Castaway for over a year now, but havent seen any of the Type IIIs, can you name a few brands/models? These are 10 or 12 strand braid right?

Cheers

plaztix
28-12-2007, 11:28 PM
got a spool of 10lb sunline super pe today. Looks and feels good. Keen to see how it flies off the new sol.:P

banshee
29-12-2007, 12:14 AM
Some useful info there Banshee...thanks.

I've been using Castaway for over a year now, but havent seen any of the Type IIIs, can you name a few brands/models? These are 10 or 12 strand braid right?

Cheers

G'day 5Zigen,as far as I know none of this product has hit our shores yet,it was rumoured to be released mid '08 but there is no certainty that it will make it here at all as importers may see it as being very slow moving due to it's price.The only one that Ive had any knowledge of is the Sunline product called 'PE-EGI Hybrid',this lines composition will consist of a single strand core of ultra thin Flurocarbon encased/sheathed in carriers of HG-PE typeII,exactly how many carriers will be used is anyones guess but like the other HG's it will be a tight weave/braiding.The Aim of this process is to produce a braid that is resistent to cross section distortion so it will remain round no mater what,it will also have a faster sink rate than the other braids and it will be a little less supple than Castaway but like castaway it will have a better abraision resistance due to the inclusion of the polyester,I don't know if it will be better or just different being better suited to different applications.Hope this info helps.

Splash
29-12-2007, 05:51 AM
The thing that sets Castaway apart from the others is it's composition.In the industry it is known as a 'HG-PE typeII' as opposed to a 'Super PE'(entry level),HG-PE (one before castaway) or HG-PE typeIII(one after Castaway and top of the tree).Castaway is different from base PE/Braids because for starters it's HG,meaning High Grade consisting of 8 carriers instead of the standard 4 and it is typeII wich means it is a hybrid consisting of pollyethelene mixed with polyester.

That's the answer I was looking for! Much appreciated.

How do u know all this Banshee?

SPlash

5Zigen
29-12-2007, 08:33 AM
G'day 5Zigen,as far as I know none of this product has hit our shores yet,it was rumoured to be released mid '08 but there is no certainty that it will make it here at all as importers may see it as being very slow moving due to it's price.The only one that Ive had any knowledge of is the Sunline product called 'PE-EGI Hybrid',this lines composition will consist of a single strand core of ultra thin Flurocarbon encased/sheathed in carriers of HG-PE typeII,exactly how many carriers will be used is anyones guess but like the other HG's it will be a tight weave/braiding.The Aim of this process is to produce a braid that is resistent to cross section distortion so it will remain round no mater what,it will also have a faster sink rate than the other braids and it will be a little less supple than Castaway but like castaway it will have a better abraision resistance due to the inclusion of the polyester,I don't know if it will be better or just different being better suited to different applications.Hope this info helps.

Thanks Banshee.

Its already a foregone conclusion that these kinds of lines usually take a lot longer to reach our shores, if at all, so I'm usually looking around in Japan for different lines to try.

The PE-EGI Hybrid does sound interesting, it being less supple than Castaway wouldnt really be an issue with me but its faster sink rate and added abrasion resistance is pretty attractive!

If u ever get a spool of this line, or any other interesting line, do post up pics:D

Cheers

bugman
29-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Bought myself a spool of castaway today from the Nerang camping/fishing store.

My god that stuff is fine - it's the thinnest line I've seen for poundage.

It feels good and looks good - hope it casts the same. Some new flouro carbon leader toppped of the purchases

Brett

Flattie Assassin
30-12-2007, 05:52 AM
Just don't spool it to close to the lip. I was getting a few cast knots. All good now though.