PDA

View Full Version : raider rod - end bent.....?

yellahunter
21-10-2007, 04:19 PM
hey guys,

Ive got a couple of raider rods, which up until yesterday have been pretty happy with. I arrived at my spot yesterday to find the tip of my rod curved,

between the last two eyelets the rod turns, so if you look straight down the rod its straight except at then end where it turns probably 1/2 inch to the left.

has anyone had this happen....?
and would it be a warranty issue..ie: would i have a leg to stand on with this.

any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben

finga
21-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Has it been left in the sun or heat??

rockfisho
21-10-2007, 05:13 PM
As finga is suggesting with his question, heat can cause the epoxy in the blank to soften and allows the blank to adopt a new shape, which it will hold if it cools in that position.

I suppose you could try and straighten it out the same way. Just don't cook the blank

Cheers

Owen

Jeremy87
21-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Yep the only way this can happen is if it has been exposed to heat, generally in hot cars, i wouldn't try to fix it as you'll probably cause more harm than good, to avoid this in the future make sure all of your rods are stored flat in th car with no rigging attached to them. I have also heard that if your rods are left leaning up against a wall for a long time the same thing can happen.

No shimano will not accept it as a warrenty claim either.

yellahunter
21-10-2007, 06:42 PM
sits in a rod rack in my garage,
no rigging as i use lures.

So from the time i left home to the time i arrived at spot x (30mins) it cooked in the car.....?

no comeback there......wtf

Jeremy87
21-10-2007, 08:16 PM
If the car was hot yes it can happen over a very short period of time if it was bent, st it a gentle curve or does it sought of hinge at a guide? If it sits at home flat in a rod rack then heat stress softening the epoxy is the only way graphite rods can bend. How old is the rod?

yellahunter
21-10-2007, 08:22 PM
the rods about a year old and i love using it which is why im so cut.
it sits in a rack at home and was proababli in the car for 30odd minutes.
it wasnt even a real hot day so its got me beat.

the bend isnt real bad but its there, its a gentle curve which is evident between the last two eyelets

Roo
22-10-2007, 10:55 AM
I've had this happen to one of my rods.....a little Samurai. didn't hamper the action tho' and the rod is still catching fish.
cheers roo.