PDA

View Full Version : Free North Pine Dam

bruza80
21-10-2007, 03:59 PM
I have recently heard they are trying to get NPD and lake Kurwongbah in the SIPS program. This means all those families that head up to bullockies rest or McGaving view for the weekend bbq's are now gonna have to pay for the right to let their youngsters throw in a line and cut there teeth in a place a lot of us have been introduced to fishing in.

I personally think that a place that is set up and promoted as being a family freindly environment should not require a permit to allow poeple to wet a line.

I know the PRFMA have been struggling of late with the drought and the inability to have the boating access scheme to raise funds to keep the fingerlings coming and keep stocking this great lake but what is the point of filling the dam with quality fish when the youngsters cant even have a fish while dad cooks a barbie. I know the PRFMA needs money and maybe we can look at a donation scheme or small one off fee to have access on the day.

Anyway lets open this up and see what the public think and maybe we can do something about it and raise some valid points for both sides of the argument.

Cheers

Cammy
21-10-2007, 06:03 PM
thats stupid,>:( and unfair i think,>:( your dead right about the family friendly enviroment. if they need money there not gonna get much, by charging people to use the facilities.
try a fundraiser for the dam on ausfish and other sites im sure people will be willing to donate.

thats my opinion.

cam

zaraspook
21-10-2007, 07:17 PM
I personally dont fish at NPD so dont know the layout very well but i do know that all the dams that are apart of the SIP scheme are alot better off now that it has been introduced. the fishing in these dams are alot better than they used to be and also those under 18 do not need one. for the rest of us 35 bucks a year is cheap as chips

rayken1938
21-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Why shouldnt it be part of the SIP ?
The kids dont need a permit and why should the PRFMA bear the total cost of the stocking.
They are not a charity but a bunch of dedicated blokes who have done a great job in the past and I am certain they will continue in the future.
It must really gall them to see all the meat fisho families rapeing the place.
I wonder if they will pay their $35 to fish there?
Lets hope it will deter some of them.
If the cost of stocking and managing the fishery was born by the government or the council it may be argued that no permit is required but why should the PRFMA and its members bear the cost.
You do not need a sip if you are under 18 so that negates any arguement that it will deprive the kids.
Are you certain that you do not wish to pay a pittance of $35 per year?
Cheers
Ray

Cammy
21-10-2007, 11:28 PM
i think i got a bit overmad :-/, i thought it would be more money than that, like how you had to pay to use boats. i dont no anything about sips, and i judged them as bad poeple who want to wreck my fishing , but now i see they arent and i feel a bit embarrased:-[ :-[ lol. but yer if it improves the fishing im up for it, mabye a fundraiser on the net would help!;D

cam

jamie martin
22-10-2007, 07:59 AM
have a fishing comp to raise money, they did it every year at hinze. all you gotta do is get 1 sponser the rest will follow.
jamie

shayned
22-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Folks, the idea has been floated but it hasn't been set in stone as yet. Personally I'm just a johnny come lately to this fish stocking caper (and I blame Fitzy for getting me involved) but I now have a better understanding of how much effort goes into and has gone into getting NPD to the point it is now. For over 14 years this bunch of volunteers have worked tirelessly and with little or no thanks or recognition to produce a quality fishery right on our doorstep.
You hear stories of blokes tipping in their own money, holding chook raffles ect. so they could achieve what they have done. All of this prior to the boating access scheme which won't activate again until the dam is back over 50% full. Where the next lot of money is going to come from is always a worry as no one wants the impoundment to go backwards or at the absolute worst the association to stop being operational. Mind you if this occurs the debate on SIPS won't matter as there wont be a long term fishery there to argue over anyway.
The question of kids getting access was one of the first concerns raised, particularly as the members are committed to promoting fishing for kids and they do this by staffing fishing clinics and the on going Australia day Family day on Kurwongbah.
It's a tough call and what is the best solution?? Buggered if I know but if you have the solution and are willing to back your words with actions there are a bunch of dedicated people in the association who will back you and help out.

timddo
22-10-2007, 08:41 AM
I thoughts kids under age of 18 can fish for free. So long as the adults don't go fishing????

shayned
22-10-2007, 10:42 AM
I thoughts kids under age of 18 can fish for free. So long as the adults don't go fishing????

Exactly right, otherwise I don't believe the scheme would even be considered.

Fitzy
22-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Just some clarification.

- No SIP required under 18 years old
- Only 1 permit for husband/wife
- A permit is not required to access facilities at NPD
- Bass, Golden Perch, Silver Perch, Mary River Cod & Saratoga in this lake have ALL been purchased by PRFMA members, they require on-going restocking.
- A SIP introduction on Lake Samsonvale would see a much needed injection of fish (the fishery would get better)

I can tell all & sundry that without the SIP being in place, there would now be many lakes without fish being stocked. So please consider this before complaining about it. The meat on that BBQ probably cost more than a weekly SIP. If its that big an issue to anyone personally, dont go fishing there or go to the river down stream for a BBQ.

Cheers,

fitzy..

bruza80
22-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Hey Guys
To start with i did not start this to bash the PRFMA in any way. I applaud them for what they have done and as my dad was one of the original members and still is to this day i have been helping them out with many many things over the years whether its raising money or down at the working days at boral landing with the brush cutter.

All i was wondering is what people felt about the idea of sips for NPD and i also wanted to gain more info on the topic from other people who share the same passion for fishing in general so thanks to everyone who posted info on this page its great to see that the NPD means so much to people and i think even if we all have different opinions on what should happen, if we all have this much passion about it then the dam will be safe for years to come

bdowdy
22-10-2007, 07:18 PM
sip is agood thing i fish 99per cent of dams that have sip and they help restock the water , cant see a problem as ive been doing it for years,cheers bdowdy

Cammy
22-10-2007, 09:24 PM
does anyone have a sip website that can help me to understand it more.
and i dont have anything against sip, they do a good job by the sounds of things.

cam

Fitzy
22-10-2007, 09:39 PM
does anyone have a sip website that can help me to understand it more.
and i dont have anything against sip, they do a good job by the sounds of things.

cam

Here ya go Cam

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/1339.html

Cheers,

fitz..

Cammy
22-10-2007, 09:45 PM
thanx fitzy, i just had a look at the site and i didnt realize how many dams they have fixed up.

cam

Little grey men
23-10-2007, 08:57 AM
This is something I've thought about a lot as my mates all fish in places where permits are required, but I really wouldn't mind paying what would be a very small fee. For the amount of fun that my boy and I have out there almost every weekend it would be nothing to fork over a few bucks a year. These beautiful fish have to come from somewhere. Imagine what could happen if their was more funding for the folks stocking this place with fish. The place holds some serious fish now but it would only get better with a little help.

cqfreshie
23-10-2007, 05:22 PM
I think that all dams should be on SIP. ...... no mater how big or small. That way, there would be a future for all waterways. Just a thought from a member of a community relying entirely on the local fish restocking group..Cheers

lifestyle
23-10-2007, 07:18 PM
to buy a permit to fish in a dam will only cost what a carton of beer would cost. No sip permit no barra in monduran. Every dam should have a sip. Scarry thought no barra in monduran

fishfreak
24-10-2007, 11:43 AM
How does someone become a member or volunteer for prfma. I have been fishing npd for years and would like to contribute somehow? What are the fees ?

shayned
24-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Good man, sounds like where I was a while ago. Mate email to prfma@hotmail.com and Johm or Simon will send out the info to you. We all contribute $20.00 a year to pay for various insurances and other running costs associated with the group. Everything else goes to fish, the all important fish!!!

oceanic21
24-10-2007, 04:12 PM
What's the go with access to NPD in the "better areas" ie where the new signs say we can't go and the rangers are now policing more?
Does anyone know what has caused this recent clamp down on access?
Is anyone lobbying to open this up a more at least to the well known bass spots?
Is there a legal way to get access to the "red zones" eg a permit or membership?

shayned
24-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Purchase a farm lease or pray for rain and PRFMA can reactivate their access scheme. We need 50% water level to restart.

oceanic21
29-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Where can you find details on what the access scheme was when it was still running?

Fitzy
30-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Where can you find details on what the access scheme was when it was still running?

Here's an info page from the first year.
Should give you some idea.

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/northpine/info.htm

Cheers,

fitz..

Luc
30-10-2007, 07:52 PM
$35/year for a SIP is nothing and it gives you access to all the SIP dams.

I'd be quite happy for NPD to be on the SIP scheme.

Luc

Fishoboy11
04-02-2008, 07:47 AM
One of the PRFMA guys may be able to answer this question. It has been suggested that the North Pine may be getting close to the 50% required to reopen the permit scheme. THe SEQ Water site however shows it at about 20% only. Am I missing something?

Thanks heaps.

rayken1938
04-02-2008, 08:34 AM
The PRFMA is prepared for when the Dam reaches 50%.This means that they can get the boating access permits up an running as soon as possible.
The dam levels are still way down without any significant inflow.
Cheers
Ray

Fishoboy11
04-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Poo - got a bit excited when I saw something in here about the levels getting close to 50%, but had a major downer when I saw the levels on the water site. Thumbs up to you guys for keeping the ramp and stuff maintained to be able to get things going quickly.

Cammy
04-02-2008, 06:30 PM
last time i went to NPD i went to mcgavins, and on the righthand side of the lake in the middle, it looks like tehre is an island appearing out of know where, and i didnt see it on the trip before that. so i hope it tops up more.

cam

Luc
04-02-2008, 06:42 PM
My Wife & I went for a drive around the dam this afternoon and the good news is the North Pine as well as Kobble creek are both flowing well and the dam has definitely risen.

If the ranges in the Dayboro Samford area keep on getting good rain, things are looking optimistic.

Luc

Cammy
04-02-2008, 06:59 PM
thats very good to hear, its up to like 21% now? im not sure, heard it off an unrealiable source today at school.

cam

ernie cox
08-03-2008, 09:04 AM
I personally would not like to pay to fish at NPD considering you are restricted to where you can fish anyway. I have never been able to figure out why they have not allowed boating on the dam, all other dams allow petrol or electric motors, whatever.
The dam is over 30yrs old & there must be a lot of fish in there & I know a lot of fisho's would love to put a boat in & wet a line,
This dam has great potential for boating & I feel a lot more people would use the dam if this was the case, If you want to charge a fee for fishing make it worth while, I dont see why you couldnt have a simular set up as summerset dam, Kiosk & camping with a daily permit for the use of the dam, this i feel would be a better way of charging people to use the dam. I just think its a waste of a good dam.
I know I wont be fishing there if they introduce a fee I would rather go to a dam which at least gives you the option of bank or boat access for your money.

shayned
08-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Exactly Ernie, thats the choice you would get to make if the Lake goes to a SIPS scheme. Alternatively you could put your money where your mouth is by joining up and trying to effect the changes that would make you happy.

As stated earlier the group is staffed by volunteers, who do a lot more things than just tip a bucket of fingerlings in the dam occasionally. As most of us also work, time is in short supply to work on effecting all the changes we would like to make. Hell, occasionally we even like to go fishing.

In amongst all that we can have to satisfy up to 4 different government bodies at any one point in time. At an absolute minimum we need to constantly meet the constraints placed on us by SEQ Water and DPI.

Changes can be effected, it does require work though. So what do you reckon suits you best????:)

Rodman
08-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Hey guys
If they allowed normally powered motor boats on the lake and charged a extra permit fee on top of the normal SIP fee they would raise more money.
They would have to limit the number of boats allowed...
I know that they will allow electric motors on the lake with a limited number and they charge a permit fee.
They could limit the speed

Ken

shayned
08-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Ken,
What you are proposing falls directly into the lap of SEQ Water and their policies; and these days, who knows, EPA might even pop it's head up as well.

It's a great idea which would probably get a lot of support, all you need do is plan a lobbying campaign and present a solution and structure allowing it to happen. Then find a way to drive the campaign foward in a manner which will achieve the result you require.

I say get organised and get to it, I wish you every success.8-)

ernie cox
08-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Hi Rodman'
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think they allow electrics on the dam now,
I was one of 100 lucky enough to hold a permit the first year it was introduced, and you were restricted to a designated area of the lake. I only had a kayak so it was a bit hard for me, I found that after a few hours paddling around trying to find fish,my but got kinda numb as you weren't allowed to pull up at a bank for a rest, I think the scheme only lasted a couple of yrs so I was told. I would like to see the boating in all areas of the lake as I said in my last post, there is great potential for recreational boating & I for one would be more than happy to pay a fee if this was to happen.

Luc
08-03-2008, 07:58 PM
The only reason the permit scheme lapsed was due to the low water level.

If the dam goes to 50% or more, the permitt scheme would be re-started.

As far as opening the dam generally, I think that due to its proximity to Brisbane, there will never be 'open slather'. The number of boats allowed on the water will always be limited and will never be opened to power boats other than electrics.

Even if NPD ends up on the SIP, I would have no problems if the permit scheme is still used to control numbers.

As far as I'm aware, the stocking group has never issued the full number of permits.

Luc