PDA

View Full Version : Johnson 1992 2.3 hp water flow?

fender22
21-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Per previous post, mucking around with a 1992 2.3hp which hasn't been used for a while. There is water coming out of the tell tale but just a constant dribble really, it's not spraying out like other out boards? Is this the way it is with the smaller outboards or do I need to get the water pump looked at?

v8torrie
21-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Mate, more than likely there is some kind of restriction in the flow system. My 8hp spat a w/pump recently, so put new one it. Tested good in the tank. Took it out and water flow dribbled. ROWED home, pulled it apart and found tiny little pieces of the old impellor blocking the thermostat.

If your engine has been sitting for a while, it is very possible that something biological has blocked/restricted the system. Definately get it checked out.

Hope this helps..

Chimo
21-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Hi Fender

My 2.3 also has a limited flow out of the tell tale.

They seem to work better when they are moving thather than in a drum; its a pretty basic system really not like the bigger o/bs

Starting also involves setting the throttle and choke in the right spots; if you are still having problems let me know and I'll go and have a look and give you more detail.

When I got it as a 2nd hand thing too I took it to my marine tech. He told me to pull it apart and then showed me how to put it together so it would work. Neat trick really I guess as it stoped me bothering him with it so it probably did what he wanted.

Cheers
Chimo

fender22
22-10-2007, 06:25 AM
Mate, would love any help you can give, once I did get it going yesterday it was running perfectly and I thought i must have cleared some crap out of it or something and took it to the ramp, carried the inflatable down etc and the damn thing wouldn't start again. Not sure if I'm flooding or starving it? I'm going to get a new plug today and get some fresh fuel and see if that makes a difference but any help you can give would be appreciated. Rgds Craig