PDA

View Full Version : A fuse problem .. well maybe an issue in future ?

Black_Rat
20-10-2007, 09:38 PM
All,

Before the Agnes Water / 1770 M&G I installed a new sounder, transducer, new live well pump and a set of new batteries. All ran smooth on a trip to Hutchies a couple of weeks before the M&G however on two ocassions (once on the first day and the next on the 2nd day out) when the boat was out off 1770 the 15 amp fuse inside the cowel on a 2005 90 Merc 2 stroke decided to blow ???? The next 2 trips after that it was fine. :-/

Any ideas on why I had 2 blown fuses after 3 years of use with the new goddies ? It blew after turning the motor over ?((Motor Started (Tried to adjust the trim after starting the motor, then nothing?))

PS: A spare 5 pack of fuses comes in handy ;)

Simmo2
20-10-2007, 10:56 PM
If you can absolutely isolate the problem as being 'Tried to adjust trim' then I would take a look at that side of the boat. If something is amiss there, the motor will draw more current, therefore blow the fuse. Can you lift the motor 'by hand'? does it feel like it is binding? Get an auto elec to clamp the battery lead, maybe you are right on threshold?
Dunno mate, guessing here!

Black_Rat
20-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks Simmo2,

It just happens to blow after starting the motor or when I went to adjust the trim so I'm asumming thats where the problem lies ? Either with the controlls on the console or a surge through the new batteries :-/

Roughasguts
20-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Mate check the output voltage on your motor. 15.5 volt Max bet it's charging higher.

I think the voltage regulator or stator might be stuffed or getting close to it.

If you got duel batteries and there constantly charging this seems to bugger up the outboards charging system in the long run.

Black_Rat
20-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Mate check the output voltage on your motor. 15.5 volt Max bet it's charging higher.

I think the voltage regulator or stator might be stuffed or getting close to it.

If you got duel batteries and there constantly charging this seems to bugger up the outboards charging system in the long run.

Guts,

Could be something there :-/

I was reading 15v on the sounder whilst she was running