PDA

View Full Version : Share a Technique!

Sean
19-10-2007, 07:25 AM
I thought it was time we all share one of our techniques with everyone.

Now what I am after, is some form of fishing that you might be quite good at, and detail how it's done....

eg. if someone out there is a particularly good blackfish fishermen, they can detail all the little intracasies involved in catching these fish.

Similarly Bream, whiting, Flahead....the list goes on.

It might just be a really good knot, a secret rig, Anything.

Most people might find it trivial, but there would be someone out there who will learn from it.

Thanks to all your replies, Sean:)

Sean
19-10-2007, 07:41 AM
I will share one a little later on, I'm in charge of my 2 little kiddies atm which doesn't allow for detail!!!LOL

finga
19-10-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm really good at the fat-a-sre fishing style/technique.
I sit in the boat on my large posteria with a dollop of bait (doesn't really matter what the bait is in this fishing style/technique) on a hook and chuck it in the drink, wait and hope for the best.
It's not as easy as it seems.
I have to remember to tie the hook onto some line and have the line attached to a reel which is usually attached to a rod.
The most important thing to remember in this style/technique is to pack the thermos (with some hot tea or coffee) and the anzac biccies or some SAO's with vegemite and cheese for your 8 hour long smoko break. :)
That all seems pretty simple but when your at my stage in life it's sometimes difficult remembering all this technical mumbo-jumbo :)

Now if you reckon that's hard you should try me on how I launch the boat.
So many things to remember, so many things to do.
Now that's hard :)
Tight lines :D

gunna
19-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Apologies to Webby but the best tip I've heard for a very long time is to super glue a dirty great hook on to the back of a crab and hang it over the side. Still amazed at that one after all this time :o :o .

LOCKEDUP
19-10-2007, 05:16 PM
not one i've tried yet but in theory it sounds good, its a tecnique i've heard about, past on through generations of murry cod fisherman. it involves like above super gluing or taping a hook to a chickens egg and pricking a small hole in it to let the yoke dribble out nice and slow. then to chuck it under a big willow tree and hang on. some old lads i know swear by it. geuss the cod are use to birds eggs falling out of the trees. i've been thinkinof testin it on impoundment barra, i'll keep u posted on how i go.

snelly1971
19-10-2007, 05:41 PM
I'm really good at the fat-a-sre fishing style/technique.
I sit in the boat on my large posteria with a dollop of bait (doesn't really matter what the bait is in this fishing style/technique) on a hook and chuck it in the drink, wait and hope for the best.
It's not as easy as it seems.
I have to remember to tie the hook onto some line and have the line attached to a reel which is usually attached to a rod.
The most important thing to remember in this style/technique is to pack the thermos (with some hot tea or coffee) and the anzac biccies or some SAO's with vegemite and cheese for your 8 hour long smoko break. :)
That all seems pretty simple but when your at my stage in life it's sometimes difficult remembering all this technical mumbo-jumbo :)

Now if you reckon that's hard you should try me on how I launch the boat.
So many things to remember, so many things to do.
Now that's hard :)
Tight lines :D

Ha....You fish like me....

mick

fish-n-dive
19-10-2007, 06:17 PM
My Whiting Techniques

Tip #1

Whiting like their food alive and wriggling and prefer worms, yabbies, shrimps and small live prawns.

Tip #2

The best time to fish for whiting is usually early morning with a rising tide although the fish will bite right through the day. When the tide falls, the fish retreat to the deeper water of the channels and drop offs. Do not discount fishing at night for Whiting. Too many people go home far too early when fishing during the afternoon. Many times I have bagged after a quiet afternoon just by waiting for the sun to fall below the horizon.

Tip #3

Use a running sinker rig. Have the hook joined to the swivel by half a metre of 3kg line. The line above the sinker carries a free running sinker sitting right on the swivel. Use a long shank type hook which tends to suit both the baits being used and the feeding habits of whiting. The standard size for both worms and yabbies is a #4. Bigger baits like live prawns can be fished on #2 or tiny baits like shrimps on a #10. Use chemically sharpened, red coloured long shank hooks. Put a 3cm piece of red nylon tubing and 2 to 4 little red beads on the line just above the hook. This has two points in its favour. The red tubing and beads act as an attraction to the fish looking like an edible worm and drawing extra fish to the bait. The tubing, in particular, also protects the line just above the hook if a flathead takes the bait which is relatively common. Sinker size on the whiting rig also varies considerably depending on the conditions. In shallow water with only a small current or slow drift, sinkers like a #0 or #1 Ball or #1 Bug are about right. In more open water or where the drift or current is fast a #1, 2, or 3 Bean sinker is probably the best choice.

Good luck and tight lines

theclick
19-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Dont have any... i'm still figuring out how to catch a fish instead of a tree

oddbudman
19-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Go crabbin' on the incoming tide. Set them in a row so baits from one pot berly up the next. Setting the pots on a flat bottom is a good idea so plan your position.

If you have a newb in the boat, let the first muddy you catch run loose on the deck - always good for a laugh.

oddbudman

choppa
19-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Apologies to Webby but the best tip I've heard for a very long time is to super glue a dirty great hook on to the back of a crab and hang it over the side. Still amazed at that one after all this time :o :o .

gunna,,,, i kid you not,,,, swear on chopjrs little head,,,there now you know i'm telling the truth,,,,

my last trip out in the passage,,, i was anchored near the ""x"" marker near the mouth of ningi,,,, hooked a nice blue swimmer,,, and as i got it near the boat,,, i dropped the net,,,

by the time that i swung around to pick it up,,, i felt the old rod going berserk,,,,

a bloody great big squid came along and said """"thank you"""",,,,,,

never heard of it happening b4,,,,, makes ya wonder

choppa

killitfillit
19-10-2007, 07:54 PM
tip of the day...........use gulp as bait..........spray hard body lures with scent and use super sharp hooks.....it works

cuzzamundi
19-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Check and change your mono regularly! Same goes for knots.

Cuzza

nigelr
20-10-2007, 05:52 AM
Try this unusual approach for spotties.
Unweighted tailor strips on 80lb mono traces with 8/0 non-kirbed circle hooks, floated back in the burley trail. Main line of your choice, I use 15kg as I fish in 25-30mtr over pretty rough reef and kelp, and I am a self-confessed 'meat' fisho.
Caught a dozen or more this way last season, suprisingly very low bite-off rate, (only once from memory) which I put down to the circle hook being so effective at pinning the fish in the corner of the jaw. Several of these fish were approaching 7kg, I was impressed!
By-catch includes snapper, cobia, mac tuna, pearlies and sharks.
Enjoy!

Sean
20-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Ok, thanks for the replies so far, exactly what I was after, one day you might be wanting to try something new, you can check here.

Now here's mine:

Catching bream on bread. You might have heard me rabbit on about this in the past, but a couple of great techniques.

1. the bread HAS to be FRESH!

2. FRESH BAKERY BREAD!

3.I don't know hook sizes, so a long shank hook suitable for a worm in a fine guage. The hook needs to have a fairly wide gape to allow for plenty of hook exposure.

4. the lighter the line the more fun, and ease of casting.

so far the two techs. are the same to here, now I'll split......first of all, bream off the surface on un-weighted crusts.

5. tie the hook straight to the main line, no sinker no swivel (this will drag your line under).

6. rip one side of FRESH crust off a slice of bread, rip this in two.....2 baits! pass your hook right through the top of the crust carefully, then sort of sew it on the other end as you would a fillet, there you have your bait.

7. find a suitable place that will have bream, probably about 3-15 feet deep, 6 would be perfect. If it were me it would be High tide in a small creek with a good snag....with some current, no wind, especially on the water. Main sections of river aren't great as seagulls tend to turn up:-/ .

8.Anchor up from the snag in line with it about 10 meters or so from it with the current heading into it.

9.throw out some crust burley...def not too much as when the fish are tentative at first they will follow it back past the snag making it impossible for you to get your bait there. A good tip here is, if you see the bream there but they aren't rising to the surface, roll up a few little balls of bread, these should sink and start getting them feeding.

10. Cast your bread in and let it drift back to the snag, if there is a bit of wind dunk the crust in the water just before you cast it for a split second this will add some weight.

11. After each retreival you will need a new bait.

I will post some pics and the rest soon

Sean:D

Sean
20-10-2007, 02:42 PM
pics..........................

Sean
20-10-2007, 02:46 PM
BTW, the hook in the pic is probably a touch too big....especially the guage (thickness) of it

Sean
20-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Now, the second technique:

Catching bream on bread in deeper situations.

1. Find any spot you would normally fish at for bream.

2. Rip all crusts off a slice of bread

3 rip the bread in two

4 lay the hook along the bread and roll the bread around it....kind of like a pastry around a sausage roll.

5. Squeeze the bread and knead all the air out of it so it looks like a cigar.

6. this bait will be easy to cast, will sink slowly and stay on the hook for a bit.

7. you can use this unweighted or with a sinker.

8. the bream kind of tap tap............................................... ..............................tap tap tap............................................... ..........................then they sort of move off with it, I drop my rod tip slowly with them then strike.

I hope this helps to catch someone some Bream, I personally like the surface fishing the best as you are right on top of the snag so even a small fish can bust you up pretty quick, plus, they really smash it off the surface.

*Bread doesn't seem to work as well at night.

*If you are at a snag for more than about 15mins move to the next one.

Good luck, Sean:D

theclick
20-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Fresh bakery bread wouldnt last long enough around me to end up in the water

Marlin_Mike
20-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Dont forget the sausage sangas finga :)

rando
20-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Find a bloke who really knows hows tocatch fish and go fishing with him, till you start telling him what he should do next,,, might take a few years, in the meantime you,ll have a good mate;)

finga
20-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Dont forget the sausage sangas finga :)
Maaaattttteee....
Gees....first law of a tradey.....don't ever, ever, ever give all ya secrets out ...ever::)

Marlin_Mike
20-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Oopsssssssssssssssss sorry mate :)

Skip cliche
20-10-2007, 07:01 PM
I always catch fish when the conditions are less then good and ive drifted away from any structure and i'm not paying attention.

imnotoriginal
20-10-2007, 07:52 PM
A trick Gunna and I used a few weeks back.

Step 1- find a school of pike

Step 2- cast among the pike until you hook one, then bring it next to the boat, but leave it in the water.

Step 3- drop the next line(s) in the water next to the pike

Step 4- reel in all the pike

Step 5- repeat until you have your supply for the next trip outside

Too bloody easy!
Joel

imnotoriginal
20-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Now, the second technique:

Catching bream on bread in deeper situations.

1. Find any spot you would normally fish at for bream.

2. Rip all crusts off a slice of bread

3 rip the bread in two

4 lay the hook along the bread and roll the bread around it....kind of like a pastry around a sausage roll.

5. Squeeze the bread and knead all the air out of it so it looks like a cigar.

6. this bait will be easy to cast, will sink slowly and stay on the hook for a bit.

7. you can use this unweighted or with a sinker.

8. the bream kind of tap tap............................................... ..............................tap tap tap............................................... ..........................then they sort of move off with it, I drop my rod tip slowly with them then strike.

I hope this helps to catch someone some Bream, I personally like the surface fishing the best as you are right on top of the snag so even a small fish can bust you up pretty quick, plus, they really smash it off the surface.

*Bread doesn't seem to work as well at night.

*If you are at a snag for more than about 15mins move to the next one.

Good luck, Sean:D

Works well this technique, but I've found I have to switch down to a luderick hook and hide it in some of the heavier fished areas. I also use dough if I'm fishing deeper water, sometimes with a bit of cheese to spice it up. I was told by one lady angler the cheese "has to be coon, they don't eat that other sh*t"::) . I wait for some serious line movement before I strike because I have to hide the hook so much.
Joel

BilgeBoy
21-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Ok...I 'll give ya one!!

Take the plastic off ya hook and replace with ANYTHING that lives in the sea. I Guarantee that you will increase your catch rate;).

BilgeBoy

plaztix
22-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Yeah BB, i heard about that technique once.

Tried it, still can't get the stink off my fingers.:P