PDA

View Full Version : 100 Series.. is this what I need?

Spaniard_King
19-10-2007, 05:50 AM
Guys,

Have just upgraded to a larger boat and she goes 2.7T fully loaded on the weigh bridge which is just over my Pajero's capacity of 2500kg's. The 3.5l pajeros pulls and stops fine but I am worried about insurance if I have a whoops up::) .

I have been concidering the V8 cruiser, Is this the way to go?

What sort of fuel economy can I expect on the highway towing 2.7T.

What is the best way to source one? Has anyone tried a car broker?

cheers

Garry

Blackened
19-10-2007, 06:36 AM
G'day

Car brokers are the way to go, I can see u in a V8 Lexus garry, whaddaya say? :P

Dave

Spaniard_King
19-10-2007, 07:10 AM
Dave, I don't think the piggy bank will stretch that far :)

choppa
19-10-2007, 08:25 AM
garry,,,,, if you want to go with a car broker then do some homework first,,,, being in the trade for as long as i have,,, i've seen a lot of good and bad,,,,

brokers not only charge you a fee,,,, but also (in most cases) they charge the dealership a fee,,, all of which ends back in the purchase price

simply stated,,, you do have some reputable brokers that work for you,,,, and then you have some that just screw you,,,

we would receive 6-12 faxes a day from various brokers chasing particular cars for buyers,,,, not bad money when you think about it,,,, get the enquiry,,, fax out to every dealer a list of what you want,,, find it and charge away,,,,

choppa

4x4frog
19-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Why would you go the V8 Cruiser when there are other very capable turbo oil burners around with a tonne more torque than the V8??

A good friend of mine has an older Cruiser(diesel) with aftermarket turbo fitted and it returned close to 25mpg average to the cape and back towing a camper trailer with gear for 6.
I'd not think you'd get over 20mpg with that weight behind a 8 cyl petrol

Playdo98
19-10-2007, 11:43 AM
It really depends on what you intend to use the vehicle for? i.e. only a tow vehicle or will you be using it for touring as well.

Personally, I would not be looking at the 4.5l Cruiser is you intend to do long distance travelling especially towing a 2.7t boat. Although this motor is bullet proof, the fuel costs will put a major dint in the hip pocket. If you intend to travel long distances I would be looking at either a 4.2TD 100s Cruiser or GU Patrol (I am assuming that if you are looking 100s you are in the market for a wagon)

If you are chasing a tow vehicle there are a number of good vehicles out there with a few more KM on the clock at a reasonable price which will meet your needs i.e. 4.2TD 80s & 100s Cruiser, 4.2TD GQ or GU Patrol, 60s Cruiser or a F Truck.

As for going through a broker, personally I would rather deal direct with the owner privately. There are enough car sites availble on the web to make a selection (if you have to time to look through them that is :)). Just get it checked out by a qualified mechanic or car inspection agency. Prices are usually more negotiable this way also.

Happy Purchasing. By the way what brand of boat did you purchase Spaniard_King

Roughasguts
19-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Have you considered buying an old 4 tonne Toyota truck or similar just for towing the boat. You should save a bit on trying to trade up your Paj on a V8 cruiser.

FNQCairns
19-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Playdo98 good post, Gary I have a GQ, none of these came out with a 4.2 td engine and turbocharged. My car which is in great condition is 4.2td and as far as I am conserned wouldn't tow your rig, you would get there but the time spent in 3rd gear flat to the floor at 80kph would make it a real chore, the few GUs that are NA would do even worse as they are heavier but both of these cars with aftermarket turbo setups would do it fairly easily.

cheers fnq

lippa
19-10-2007, 04:11 PM
i'm getting 4k to the litre towing my boat garry, with a v6 prado.
im told the v8's are a little thirster. (petrol)
flottys got one of those new v8 diesel wagons, might be worth giving him a call to see how they tow. i know he puts a big cruise craft behind it reguarly.

cheers

lippa

chisel
19-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Good luck getting a second hand 100 4.2TD for a sensible price. Until the new 200 series are readily available, the 2nd hand market for these will be very tight. I've seen $72000 asked for a 2005 GXL TD with average kms (retail new was about $77k on the road I think and surely most were sold new at $70k or even less).
Even going back to 2001 they are still asking $$$$$.

Recent model V8 could be had for $35-45k.

Bring on the 200's ... should drop the 100 series prices a bit.

Spaniard_King
19-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Sorry to say but it's going to be the missus primary:( vehicle and fuel aint a problem(Besides she hates oil burners). So staying petrol and buying new.. So as they don't make the 6cyl guess I will have to get the V8 :D

gawby
19-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Garry,

As you know i deliver new cars around Qld and the new Toyota v8 diesel land cruisers are getting really good reviews.

Depends if you like driving utes or troopies i suppose.

There has been a lot of them go out to the mines and they reckon they carn't kill them.

I personally wouldn't use a broker, i would rather do my own business.

Graeme

KAGEY1
19-10-2007, 11:28 PM
get a v6 pathfinder. bulk grunt and nimble too. not as harsh on fuel as the v8 100
pulls 3t easy.
cheers geoff

luckyone
20-10-2007, 04:32 AM
i would be going the td 100 auto . i have one and till you drive one you dont realise how good they are and my better half wouldnt have one , till she started to drive it and now wont drive anything elese come on the 200 series

4x4frog
20-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Sorry to say but it's going to be the missus primary:( vehicle and fuel aint a problem(Besides she hates oil burners). So staying petrol and buying new.. So as they don't make the 6cyl guess I will have to get the V8 :D
:oOMG, why would you give a woman a V8 4WD as any vehicle? New common rail diesel technology these days is as good pick-up wise as petrol V8 and thriftier too.
I am all for 4WD vehicles but they don't need to be more prominent on our roads than they already are, especially with females at the wheel driving around schools.

trevcob
20-10-2007, 09:09 AM
I just sold a 100 series 99 model 4.5 lt wagon 98 000km one oner .
Top wagon we towed a 20ft Jayco caravan it was around 3000kg loaded.as well as the 19ft glass boat we had at the time. 1 year after buying the wagon we had to by a falcon wagon on LPG to drive around . The $30 000 i lost when i sold it was the best money i have ever spent.

Towing van 25lt to 30lt per 100km.
around town 18lt to 22lt per 100 km .
Normal servise around $200 to $300 by Toyota .
Major 80 000km by Toyota $ 1600.
Price of Toyota parts we wont go there .

gawby
20-10-2007, 09:14 AM
This is my opinion only but towing close to 3 tonnes with a V6, you would need a fuel bowser following you.
The likes of a pathfinder would be to light and would be like towing a 26 foot caravan with a datsun 120Y.
I have had 3 tonnes behind my Rodeo and it was not easy to keep under control.
I know a lot of ladies that drive 4x4s and can say that they do a good job at it as well. I might go as far to say that they do a better job than a lot of males i have seen trying hard to handle the beasts.

Graeme

bustastu
20-10-2007, 07:05 PM
New 100 series v8's in the paper today for $58k plus extras. Good price and a beautiful car but there a little on the thirsty side.

If you'd only kept your 580 breeze, you would have to worry about a new rig......

Spaniard_King
20-10-2007, 08:43 PM
:oOMG, why would you give a woman a V8 4WD as any vehicle? New common rail diesel technology these days is as good pick-up wise as petrol V8 and thriftier too.
I am all for 4WD vehicles but they don't need to be more prominent on our roads than they already are, especially with females at the wheel driving around schools.

Frog are you worried there are better female drivers around than you :)

Spaniard_King
20-10-2007, 09:16 PM
New 100 series v8's in the paper today for $58k plus extras. Good price and a beautiful car but there a little on the thirsty side.

If you'd only kept your 580 breeze, you would have to worry about a new rig......

Yeh mate it was a ll a plot from the missus in the first place I recon.. let me have a new boat and she will get a new car ;)

chisel
21-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Have seen the 100 V8 for $55k on the road new. Sci-fleet I think. They are in runout so could have sold them all by now.
I guess the 200 V8 petrol would be in the $65-70k region after some haggling.

4x4frog
22-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Frog are you worried there are better female drivers around than you :)
Nope, not worried at all, I know my better half is twice the driver I am and she learnt to drive in a Peugeot 505 wagon....her driving ability would outshine every woman I have ever seen try to park a huge 4x4 luxo barge anyday. 4x4 are great in the right place, the shopping centre or around schools that aint..(my 2c worth.)

Wno't drag this any further off topic.....
Had a drive in a new Patrol turbo diesel the other day, very nice. Seemed to go well through all gears, had plenty of poke too.
Do Nissan use 2 diesel engines still, a 4cyl and a 6cyl, or just the largest they have?
Why doesn't your Mrs like oil burners? if it's been mentioned I missed it.

Spaniard_King
22-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Why doesn't your Mrs like oil burners? if it's been mentioned I missed it.

I think she's worried about choosing the right oil to put in at the servo::)

gawby
28-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Just a bit of info on the 200 series, they weigh in at over 2.75 tonnes.
So power to weight ratio here would not seem to be a problem for towing most larger boats.
Two of them on the top decks of our trailers are to much weight as the hydrolics wont lift them.

Graeme

ozscott
28-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Garry - on the 4WD Aust Monthly tow tests (available online) the TDV6 Discovery 3 soundly beat the V8 cruiser and 4.6 Patrol and made their TDs look sad. Its tow capacity is 3500kg and they are about the same price model for model as the Cruiser. Its on road manners is better than the 100 series too - and its a stylish bugger which would make the wife happy. Having said that (and Im a 2 land rover household fella so I biased) if you are a Toyota fella then go that way - they are both very good vehicles and it comes down to personal preference. If it were me I would go a base model TDV6 without the air suspension and get a locker in the rear to go with the traction control and centre diff lock. I would probably get her raised by a couple of inches for sand use and having only 17s on instead of bigger rims allows better range of tyres. It would be a nice combination. Interestingly the cloth and simulated leather on the backs of the seats etc int he Discos looks the business and lasts - just take a look at the classy interiors of the series 2 Discos that are now up to 8 years old and still look bloody nice (my 02 is dark grey and people still get in and comment on what a nice interior it has) - so leather is not necessary in them to look the ducks nuts. 2CW.

Cheers and good luck mate.