PDA

View Full Version : cania fishing

muddypete
18-10-2007, 07:33 PM
heading up to cania gorge to look at the sights and do a bit of fishing (naturally)
I havent done any freshwater fishing since my days in mananui NZ
I know there are saratoga and different types of perch but dont know what is a good eating fish and what should be returned to the water.
Any help would be appreciated.
Will talk to the locals but don't want to feel a ######## cause I am on unfamiliar ground
regards
peter

ttone
18-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Hi Peter,
Mate dont be afraid to ask the locals in Monto, as they are up for a good chat. I use to live up that way and "we" love to brag about the fishing.
Eel tailed jew, silver and golden perch(yellowbelly) and the common local perch are all good eating. Dont go much on the Saratoga though!!! You may even get the occasional Eel also.
Enjoy the area Mate, there is plenty to do re-walks etc AND FISHING.
Good Luck,
Cheers ttone

Mike Delisser
18-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Gday Peter
Like most dams you'll catch fish on live shrimp if you can catch or buy them but if you'd like to land some fish on lures at Cania take along a spinnerbait. They are a good alround lure for this dam and almost snag free. I would suggest 1/2 oz in a dark natural colour like black, brown , green or dark purple and cast it towards the edge then use a very slow retrieve, can't miss out.
Good luck
Mike