PDA

View Full Version : New cable and helm or hydraulic for 115 Yammy

ozscott
16-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi all - I have freed up my steering (another thread below). It works again as well as it ever did. The motor turns much easier when the telescopic ram is collapsing as opposed to extending, which is probably just a product of that type of steering (the steering would have to be 20 years old).

I stuck a 2000 Merc 60 stroke on my Haines a few years back and went from old cable and helm to a new Teleflex Safe-T-Helm. I couldnt believe the difference. I was able to sit in the boat on the trailer and easily turn lock to lock with one finger in a spoke.

The problem with mine is not under way - at speed its fine. The problem is stationery or near to it; fair bit of effort to turn the wheel left and extend the tube - makes docking a nuisance.

I wonder how a new cable steer would go or whether its a waste of $. I know that hydraulic would be feather light but its X'y. I guess that the extra weight of the V4 over the 60 3 cyl would mean that I cannot hope to achieve steering quite as good as the Haines, even if I hone out the tilt tube in preparation and use only oil in the thing,...but I wonder how much less flash it would be.

Has anyone fitted new cable steering (and if so what type) to a V4 or similar weight engine and can you tell me whether its easy steering at stationery, and how it compares to hydraulic etc.

Thanks all.

Oz

PS. Tough decison this is (unlike the trim tabs decision) because although the steering now is ok its does not make for a pleasant day out, particularly around Marinas etc, and yet I cannot seem to convince myself to justify hydraulic. I guess that I could go a half way point with unequal steering and get the hydraulic ram with cable into the tilt tube as per Hydrive's latest set up...I assume that its just as powerful and easy to use as say a bullhorn set up...just have to make sure the tilt tube is well honed!

ozscott
16-10-2007, 02:52 PM
...Oh just noticed that Im now a...goldmember...I must have the midas touch (or touched it too much).

ozscott
16-10-2007, 03:22 PM
I contacted Hydrive who reckon that the side mount cylinder is not worth it and wont give me much more oomph than a good cable drive. They reckon bullhorn is the go, but unfortunately (or fortunately for the wallet) my splash back area angles up at the sides so that my clearance is insufficient at the ends of the bullhorn on full tilt to accommodate the unit - its fine except for the last couple of inches. So it looks like any replacement will have to be cable or cable and helm.

TOPAZ
16-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Ozscott,
Years ago I fitted a new cable to my Swiftcraft SeaHawk, (115HP Evinrude V4), and I was easily able to turn the wheel lock to lock with one finger.
This was a Teleflex push/pull cable arrangement.
The outer cable is nylon lined, and does NOT require lubrication.
The only part that you should lubricate with LIGHT oil, is the slider thingy at the engine end.

Richard

ozscott
16-10-2007, 04:20 PM
I believe that the helm is a Steermaster Mark II (discontinued now for over 15 years) and the cable is a Steermaster Mark III which is pretty old also.

Cheers

FNQCairns
16-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Ozi, did you consider the solid mount cylinder, it's a far better design than the bullhorn types and I think either Hydrive or Hynautic does a compact one. (google, "hynautic" "K6" ) to see the typical design.

Apart from price I think the only drawback with hydraulic is the number of turns lock to lock, if you are used to around 3 you will need to get used to 5 or so, big pain in the behind IMO, would suit a barge pretty well though.

The new cable setups are lightyears ahead of the ones of days past, the no feedback rack and pinion is a beaut as is the other no feedback types, but cannot say how much better than what you have ATM.

cheers fnq

ozscott
16-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks FNQ. I reckon I will go to somthing like a Teleflex NFB helm and cable. I like the quick steering. If I oil it up and keep and eye on it it should last ok.

Cheers matey.

ozscott
16-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Sorry Richard - didnt see you post mate. Thanks very much for that...really appreciate the assistance.

PADDLES
16-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Oz, i've just replaced my cable steering on a 140 sooz with the hydrive side mount cylinder and it's heaps better to drive than the cable was. i don't know how hydrive can say there's no difference. there's a couple of extra turns lock to lock but it's just so smooth. the cable and helm i replaced was pretty much brand new as well (and is for sale in the for sale section if ya want it). i have the same problem you have in that the motor well was too skinny for the bullhorn setup and wouldn't have allowed the motor to tilt past a certain point so i went for the side mount cylinder. i only replaced mine so it would be easier for wifey to steer and i reckon it's made a difference for sure.

ozscott
16-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Cheers Paddles.

Teleflex has 2 different helms that seem to be very similar - the NFB4.2 and the NFB Safe-T-II 3.0 - the 4.2 has about 1.2 turns more lock to lock and is a bit dearer and is rated to V6 whereas the Safe-T-II is rated to V4 - my motor is V4. Is it safe to assume that if your prepared to put up with higher turns lock to lock the 4.2 system will provide more steering power and will be easier to turn the wheel?

Cheers

PADDLES
17-10-2007, 07:48 AM
i'd be assuming that too. the gearing would have to be shorter if there's more turns for the same cable travel.

ozscott
17-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Ta mate. Spoke to Gary at control connections and he is very helpful and reccomended the teleflex Safe-T-II helm and cable kit with 3.0 turns lock to lock (planetary gears). He said its very smooth and light. He reckons that its a better system than going cheap hydraulic (ie 600-700 bucks worth). He reckons the cheap hyro is a temporary fix. He sells both but would rather see me with the good cable. I am going to go that way at about $316 for all the gear. Going to treat myself to a new (softer) wheel as well.

Cheers

FNQCairns
17-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Ta mate. Spoke to Gary at control connections and he is very helpful and reccomended the teleflex Safe-T-II helm and cable kit with 3.0 turns lock to lock (planetary gears). He said its very smooth and light. He reckons that its a better system than going cheap hydraulic (ie 600-700 bucks worth). He reckons the cheap hyro is a temporary fix. He sells both but would rather see me with the good cable. I am going to go that way at about $316 for all the gear. Going to treat myself to a new (softer) wheel as well.

Cheers

Sounds great! Think you will be happy with what you end up with, if I didn't have the time to save towards a relatively expensive Hydraulic setup during my boat fit-out doubt I could have justified the cheaper hydraulic over the system you have chosen.

The more spokes the nicer the wheel -splash out!:)

Look forward to hearing what your thoughts are when up and running.

cheers fnq

ozscott
17-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Cheers mate - will let you know. I am not sure about the wheel - I like the multi - spoke with soft grip but I also like the more car like 3 spokers - but the multi would make it easier to spin the wheel with a finger at any given position when docking!

Cheers