PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. The Pelican Man !!

chillihead
15-10-2007, 11:07 PM
The pelican man was a local identity in the Ballina region and surrounds, he died from a stroke then a heamorrage on the Saturday the 13 th of October.

His energy, perseverance and tireless energy which he dedicated to saving the water birds and sea life of this region will go unmatched.

He has rescued many an injured bird or sea creature from the perils of having hooks and fishing line entangled around there beaks and legs, which makes it almost impossible for them to eat or fly properly, alot of the time it was with his own saftey at risk!!

At this point I should mention that he was not alone in his crusade, he also had a worthy team of volunteers, how many i'm not sure but be sure to check out his website to be of help or support!!

This was a man of integrity, love, caring and dedication to gods creatures that had no advocate.

Over the time he has been saving injured wildlife which spans more than 15 years, he has saved over 500 individual animals.

Now in anyones books that is a phonomenal effort, if life didn't cut his devotion short i'm sure he would be out there now doing what he loved most.....saving the injured and bereft animals that had no one to care for them.

At this point he should be mentioned in name, although he tended to shy away from the limelight of the good work he had done over the years.

His name was Lance Ferris..a name which will be long remembered in this area, although he may be gone the volunteers will carry on his work in his name, it is what he would have wanted i'm sure!!

I only met him on 2 occasions but the passion he had for his work was outstanding, i had talked to him about his work albeit through a web site it was still amazing to feel the love the man had for the creatures with which he did such an amazing job.

Pelicans are so much a part of Ballina and the Richmond river and in the same breath Lance Ferris was so much a part of the Pelicans and other sea creatures that Ballina and the Richmond would not be what they are today without his undying dedication to there cause!

Thank you from the heart of all of us here at Ausfish Lance, you will be fondly remembered!!

Rest in peace, in the knowledge that your tireless work will continue for generations to come!!

We may be saddened by your loss but with that thought in mind i'm sure one and all will be your eyes on the water from now on!!

Here is a link to his website if you wish to support or get involved.
http://www.seabirdrescue.org/

Here is the man in the right of the photo holding the Pelican of course!!
http://www.fishingaustralia.com.au/phpbb/userpix/641_lance_1.jpg

el_carpo
16-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Sounds like he made the world a better place with his time spent on it.

themissus
16-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Well said chillihead. He was a champion, may not have been as well know as The Croc Hunter, but just a passionate and committed to the cause. RIP.
Kim.

finga
16-10-2007, 07:24 PM
The man will continue live on through the acts of the many people who's lives have been changed by his inspiration.
I know mine was after I first meet him when his crusade was just in the beginning stages those many years ago.
I'm saddened by this news.
Thanks old mate for everything.
R.I.P.

mono
16-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Well said Chilli, I was also shocked to hear the news about Lance. I've known him for over 20 years, from his early days entertaining us at the Byron Services club to his heartfelt energy to saving our wildlife. I used to release some of his turtles on board my charter boat and his energy was very infectious.
The world is a sadder place without him.

RIP Lance.

Capt Mark Mono Stewart

onerabbit
17-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Greatly saddened to hear of Lance's passing,

Aside from being a champion to his cause, he was the nicest bloke you could ever care to meet.
Someone who always had time to try to share his knowledge, even though his personal schedule probably didn't allow.
Such was his passion that he probably spent more of his own time & money than he probably could afford, in an effort to protect our native wildlife.

Ballina & the rest of the world will be a lesser place without him.

Sleep well Seabird.