PDA

View Full Version : are salmon sharks maneaters??,,,,,,,,pity

choppa
15-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Fishermen risk death by using kayaks in quest to catch sharks

Last updated at 13:58pm on 8th October 2007

Brave fishermen set a new world first when they went hunting for sharks using simple rods and paddling in kayaks.
The extreme sportsmen shunned the traditional idea of a peaceful day's fishing when they rowed into the freezing shark-infested waters off Alaska.
The daring team of four were surrounded by 200 to 300 salmon sharks which were up to nine feet long and weighed between 400 and 1,000 lbs.
They baited their Avet 50 reels with large pieces of salmon, and managed to catch four of the sharks during their intrepid expedition near Hinchinbrook Island.

Captain Christopher Mautino said: "Sharks were thrashing around in the near distance and we couldn't help but wonder what was in store.
"They attack salmon just like great whites attack seals.
"They thrash around and jump completely out of the water.
"It is quite violent and impressive to watch."
Describing the expedition in July he added: "As I dropped the salmon down, feelings of 'what am I doing?' came over me.
"I could see the sharks, which looked to be the same size as the kayaks."

The fishermen spend an hour or more tackling each shark before reeling them in
The fishermen, who come from the American Ocean Kayak Fishing Team, spent an hour or more tackling each of the sharks they caught and reeling them in.
Two of the creatures were hauled in to the Prowler 13 kayaks and a further two were released again.
Mr Mautino added: "I intentionally kept the trip under wraps until everyone returned home in one piece - and we have.
"None of us knew what to expect since this was the first time we had fished together as a group as well as the first time a kayaker had fished for Salmon Sharks."

The team, which also included Allen Sansano, Chris Mautino and Allen Bushnell were taken by a Pacific Mountain Guides charter boat across Prince William Sound to the back of Hinchinbrook Island.
"We are all experienced anglers and kayakers so either as a whole or individually, we felt confident in our personal abilities and limits," said the captain.
"The sharks were concentrating on feeding on the Pink Salmon and I really don't think they gave us a second thought.
"We slow trolled the bait behind the kayaks with the rods laying across our laps.
"Our biggest concerns were staying upright in the kayaks and keeping from getting tangled up in the gear and pulled over as well.
"There were so many sharks thrashing around us it was crazy. Even while fighting these fish, others were crashing the surface only feet away."
The group's four sharks were thought to weigh between 375 and 350 pounds and were an average of 7ft 10ins in length.
"We all agreed that nobody caught the biggest one, and they were all relatively the same," said Mr Mautino.
"This has been my long term goal since coming to Alaska, and now its complete."

ya know,, i've read this article 3-4 times,,, i don't really know what to think,,,, are these blokes adventurers,,, fishermen,,,PETA bait,,, or just %$&*^% stupid,,,

i mention PETA,, as the responses that are posted alongside this article predominately come from,,,or have a background influenced by PETA

choppa

Little grey men
15-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Those blokes have to be as crazy as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs......Just heard on the news that some lady near Byron on a kayak got a little love bite on the hand from a three metre Great White.

el_carpo
15-10-2007, 01:55 PM
There are a great many reasons why I would never do that.

theclick
15-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Wow. Thats just a little bit more adventurous than the bream and flathead fishing i do in my yak

snelly1971
15-10-2007, 02:28 PM
I would love to try something like that....

Mick

cuzzamundi
15-10-2007, 03:32 PM
What a very interesting looking shark!!! Would've been a little more daring had they tagged and released, lol. thanks for sharing.

cuzza

flairj
16-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Kayak fishing for large fish (or sharks) is pretty big in the USA. It started because there are massive kelp forests around southern california that you simply couldn't get a regular boat into but there are big yellowtail kingfish which inhabit them and can't be caught easily by any other method.

PADDLES
16-10-2007, 10:31 AM
i love how the americans have branded this a "world first". correct me if i'm wrong but i'm thinking that the inuit and for that matter most indigenous people from this planet would have fished this way for many hundreds of years. but only in a canoe or small boat made of next to nothing as opposed to an unsinkable piece of yellow plastic.

that's why i have no problem with the japs going whaling, if it is the traditional thing to do then let em go out in a small timber boat with a sharp broomstick and do it, that'd make great tv.

either way they're all nuts, they're big munchy sharks and even if they're not maneaters choppa they'd give ya a nasty suck.

Luc
16-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Nut cases

They got more bXXXs than me.

I'd rather have a tinny around me when fishing the salty stuff.

I'll keep my canoe fishing for small waters.

Luc

Tropicaltrout
16-10-2007, 08:07 PM
sea going kayak $900, strong paddle $100 , offshore overhaed combo $300 doing a eskimo roll without a head pricless

szopen
17-10-2007, 09:47 AM
i love how the americans have branded this a "world first". correct me if i'm wrong but i'm thinking that the inuit and for that matter most indigenous people from this planet would have fished this way for many hundreds of years. but only in a canoe or small boat made of next to nothing as opposed to an unsinkable piece of yellow plastic.

I would guess that innuit would have fished for salmon and left the sharks alone.

onerabbit
17-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Not sure how secure I would feel dangling my feet in the water with a kayak full of blood????????????????????????? ( middle pic )

Muzz

PADDLES
17-10-2007, 04:20 PM
too true szopen, they probably would have left the sharks well alone. does that mean that the ancient inuit are smarter than these guys?

Blackened
17-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Not sure how secure I would feel dangling my feet in the water with a kayak full of blood????????????????????????? ( middle pic )

Muzz

G'day

Exactly my thoughts, but good on them, thanx for the post chop.

Dave

spinyeel
18-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Salmon sharks are the Great White Sharks closest relatives but they are purely fish eaters.Their teeth are made for holding not cutting but one hanging off your ankle after mistaking your leg for a fish doesn't bear thinking about::)

Cammy
20-10-2007, 02:07 PM
lol you wont find me in that yak with those fish around, bloody crazy.

wouldnt mind doin it if i was in a boat though that would be awsome

cam