PDA

View Full Version : Hard to steer to port

chris_s
15-10-2007, 11:01 AM
I was wondering if i might have a problem with the hydraulic steering (seastar). when i turn to port (left hand down) there seems to be alot of resistance. This is a brand new system and only been on the water 4 times. Turning to starboard is very easy but the other way is quite tight. Its hooked up to a 200hp 4 stroke, and doesnt matter whether im doing 2 knots or 30 knots.
Thanks in advance to anyone with advice.

PADDLES
15-10-2007, 12:13 PM
could just be a bit of effect from engine torque chris, does the load change with different trims of the motor? if so then that's all it probably is. mine does this a little too. you could try adjusting the trim tab to port a little, be careful with this though, small adjustments only.

finga
15-10-2007, 12:47 PM
There's no air locks in the system is there??

Greg P
15-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Chris

What type of cylinder is it ? Some unbalanced systems will be quicker one way as the steer motor fills less oil on the rod side.

Cheers

Greg

TOPAZ
15-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Sorry Paddles, but you have your trim fin direction wrong!
It should be to the RIGHT of centre on the outboard - hard to figure out, but what you are trying to achieve is to assist the movement of the leg to the LEFT (port turn), and to do this the fin must go to the right.

Richard.

PADDLES
15-10-2007, 01:40 PM
woops, yeah you're right rich. you move the tab in the same direction as you are torque steering, so yeah if it's hard to turn to the left it's torque steering to the right, sorry for the confusion (mainly to myself)

jez and suze
15-10-2007, 04:26 PM
you may just need to trim the motor up higher

revs57
16-10-2007, 06:53 AM
Hey Chris,

I've got the same system and have no problems, I fthere are no air locks and you've set it up according to specifications, I reckon I'd be ont sea star or their rep for some input. No point in spending a motza and not gettign a result.

Still waiting for them photies mate

Glad you're up and running. Had any blood and guts on her yet?

Cheers

Rhys

gofishin
16-10-2007, 09:09 AM
I...doesnt matter whether im doing 2 knots or 30 knots...

If it happens at 2 knots it's not torque steer and adjusting the trim fin won't help.

has it done it from day-dot? does the motor seem to move at the same rate relative to the wheen turns, port and starboard? if not re-bleed.

disconnect steering arm, is it any different? is the motor hard to move to port with it disconnected? is there a kink in one of the HP hoses?

any info in the manual? as it is new talk to the equipment supplier and or whoever fitted it.

mirage
16-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi Chris,
I had the same problem on a new boat with a seastar system fitted.
The dealer eventually replaced the helm, the hyd jack and re-bled the thing 3 times but never really solved the problem. We adjusted the trim as well. Turning to the right was always easier with a a ratchet feel and sound coming from the helm. Sea Star said they were getting new shuttle valves, I think, for inside the helm but I never saw them.
Sold the boat now so not sure what happened.

TOPAZ
16-10-2007, 11:13 AM
It should be easy to eliminate torque steer by checking the steering from lock to lock whilst the boat is on the trailer. If the problem shows up then, it has to be an issue with the hydraulic steering, or the pivoting of the motor on it's bearings (port/starboard).
If it's fine on the trailer, then it MUST be torque steer.
The description of "2 knots or 20 knots" may have been a figure of speech (slow or fast) rather than definitive speeds.

Richard

revs57
16-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Yep,

I reckon Topaz is on the money, 2 knots or 30, trim fin or trim out wont change that...need to look deeper!

Cheers

Rhys

chris_s
16-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Hey thanks to everyone who has replied and offered suggestions. Time permitting on the weekend I will start with some basic fault finding ie, bleed system, disconnect ram etc. I'm sure i will sort it. Was just wondering if there was something i hadn't thought of.

Rhys i do have photo's (see below) that i posted some time ago, and yes she has been blooded ;D nothing great but it's happened. Planning a trip to the hards in a couple of weekends time, i think Dave said he was interested as well, so if you're not busy come along (I'll follow ;) ).

Dan5
16-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Mate i could be a bent ram on the port side and it's not sliding into the cylinder smoothly.Some one may have acciedently stood on it getting over the transom instead of using the door.I had a brand new cable driven one wrecked this way.Dan............

Greg P
16-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Chris - nothing binding on the outboard steer link to the cylinder - like the bolt

revs57
16-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks Chris,

Don't know how i missed the photos' must've been when i was away...looking good...need a maroon flame job to offset all that blue though mate;D;D;D, yeah, If I'm available, love to tag along.

Looks like a nice fit out Chris, you'd have to be happy with that!

Keep us posted about the trip

Cheers

Rhys