PDA

View Full Version : best bass lure for heavy weed ??

jamie martin
15-10-2007, 10:53 AM
can anyone please tell me a good bass lure (preferably weedless) for very weedy fishing ? i know spinnerbaits are great but theres gotta be something else out there ? the bass where i fish are getting used to spinner baits. help i'm desperate, haha !
jamie :'(

Jeremy87
15-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Take both trebles off your ordinary minnows and replace the rear one with an upwards facing single. either that or rig up some weedless placies but you need to strike hard to set the hook.

bdowdy
15-10-2007, 01:42 PM
try chatterbaits they work atreat on cod bass and yellas in weedy areas, vibration is twice as good as normal spinnerbait i think. cheers bdowdy

basskid
15-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Mate thats a good question in my opinion i would go with a very lightweight plastic such as a 16th oz with a three inch ecograss minnow or simalar or even a twitch bait such as the jackall water moccassion and just hard twith it hope this helps mate.

MitchCalcutt
15-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Hi Jamie,
Without any hesitation i would softies with the type of hooks that are bedded into to body. There are some jigs that allow your lure to rise over the weed without draging it.
Finde the holes in the weed and let the jig sink as far as posable, then just light twitches without lifting the lure out of the hole. When you get hooked up you get the fish and 50kg of weed but it works well

Good fishing
Mitch Calcutt

zaraspook
15-10-2007, 06:36 PM
i think plastics are the go, plastics and frogs can be rigged pretty weedless with the right head

Sean
15-10-2007, 07:07 PM
I've got some frogs from usa that are weedless. I'll try to post a pic. Sean

Sean
15-10-2007, 07:13 PM
frogs.:D The hook point sits in the 'valley' on the back.

Luc
15-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Frogs are great !!

The ones I use are called 'scum frogs' basically a soft hollow body that protect a double hook with the points uppermost. When a bass bites down on the body, the hooks are exposed.

They're a surface lure that work a treat where there's lots of waterlilies.

Luc

tiges
16-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Get your hands on some beetlespin frames. Split thru the weed nicely like a spinnerbait, and better still you can customise it with the plastic and jighead of your choice.

jamie martin
17-10-2007, 07:10 AM
thanks tiges, i bought some of those yesterday before i read your reply. i hope i'm on the right track.
jamie

Herby13
17-10-2007, 07:40 AM
What about "Scum frogs" i find them magic at Lenthalls.

tiges
17-10-2007, 08:21 AM
thanks tiges, i bought some of those yesterday before i read your reply. i hope i'm on the right track.
jamie

No worries Jamie, think you'll find them very versatile. I usually match them with a 1/4 oz jighead and a paddletail plastic like a slider/ecogear/atomic. But that's usually for weed edge in 10ft+ of water. If your gunna fish more over or thru the weed you could drop back to an 1/8 oz jighead, probably better in creeek situations.