PDA

View Full Version : Question that really needs to be answered

troy
14-10-2007, 07:57 PM
This topic has been discussed on many occasions but i really believe it has not been fully answered.
I have sensaway breaks on my trailer and members have talked about the wheels locking up.
Is this caused by dunking your trailer.
Being from a small town and the ramp is about an hours drive and this happened to me i really would not no what to do and there is no tradesman that has the knowledge of this set up.
MY question is it is caused by dunking your trailer.
Thanks
Troy

Kleyny
14-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Brakes locking up on any brake type can be caused by lots of things but on a boat trailer the dunking them in salt water would be 90% of the cause.
IMO you can dunk the whole trailer under the water but you want a real good cleaning method to ensure that all the salt water is flushed away. personally i don't go near the axle in my boat but its only a light 15ft tinny.

If i was in your shoes i would learn how to remove and clean/inspect/lube both your brakes and bearings and do this on a very regular basis. this would bring your odds of having a brake failure down dramatically.

so to answer your question if you are not at least cleaning your brakes after each use YES dunking them will cause a failure sooner or later.

neil