PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Issues...

frankgrimes
14-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Hi Fellas,

Got a bit of an issue with my trailer...the rollers are an absolute pain in the arse(Pus a few of them fall off during launch/retreive, which is bloody enjoyable at a busy ramp!!), and make it near impossible to centre(See pic) my boat when retrieving(Especially when by myself)

I basically want a trailer that allows one person to simply launch+retrieve, without trying to line up rollers to get the keel centered.

My options:

1. Replace existing wobble rollers with new/adjustable ones?
2. Piss of the rollers all together and convert the trailer to skids?
3. Get a new trailer?

btw....boats a 4.3M Stacer tinnie

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

dnej
14-10-2007, 07:16 PM
frankgrimes,
Wobble rollers are a no no on tinnies,unless they are plate bottoms.Some manufacturers wont even give a warranty if they are used. The rollers put fat too much pressure on the bottom.

You need a combination of centre keel rollers,to take the weight,and skids,simply to keep the boat upright,on the sides.The skids dont take any weight,at all.
What is the condition of the trailer,as there is a fair bit of work involved,converting to centre rollers,if you dont have sufficient cross members.
David

frankgrimes
14-10-2007, 07:25 PM
frankgrimes,
Wobble rollers are a no no on tinnies,unless they are plate bottoms.Some manufacturers wont even give a warranty if they are used. The rollers put fat too much pressure on the bottom.

You need a combination of centre keel rollers,to take the weight,and skids,simply to keep the boat upright,on the sides.The skids dont take any weight,at all.
What is the condition of the trailer,as there is a fair bit of work involved,converting to centre rollers,if you dont have sufficient cross members.
David

Hey David,

Thanks for the info.

Trailer is in alright nick....but as you have said....converting is going to take a bit of work - am I better off selling this one and getting a skid/centre keel roller trailer?

Mick.

dnej
14-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Mick,
You need at least 4 rollers under the keel,more if possible.The thing is,where do you put them.
Attached is my set up.I used 50X 50 Angles,down the middle.
David

frankgrimes
14-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Mick,
You need at least 4 rollers under the keel,more if possible.The thing is,where do you put them.
Attached is my set up.I used 50X 50 Angles,down the middle.
David

Thanks mate....looks like I'm going to have to get a new trailer!

Luc
14-10-2007, 10:48 PM
You should'nt need to get a new trailer.

The setup that dnej uses is easily fitted to an existing trailer (you could do it yourelf) and much cheaper than buying a new one.

Also have a look at post No.8 in this tread http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=117973

Luc

finga
15-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Have a yarn to the blokes at Active Fab. at Beenleigh.
The price of conversion maybe very pleasant surprise.

dnej
15-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Mick,I have posted a close up of how to use the 50X50 Angle.I drilled the roller axle holes,with a drill press,and then had them galvanised. I used U bolts to hold the angles in place.
David

frankgrimes
15-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Mick,I have posted a close up of how to use the 50X50 Angle.I drilled the roller axle holes,with a drill press,and then had them galvanised. I used U bolts to hold the angles in place.
David

Thanks David - Appreciate it!