PDA

View Full Version : joining fireline to flurocarbon?

Sean
14-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Hi, i am after some knot reccomendations for doing the above......6lb fireline--8lb fluro......6lbfire-20lb fluro. i have been useing the knot from the berkley vid but when you get a snag or break the line for some reason it ALWAYS fails at the line-leader knot. Any better ones out there? Thanks Sean:D

Flattie Assassin
14-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Which knot from the berkley dvd sean? I use the 5 turn surgeons knot and it seems to work ok. Does fail there sometimes, but won't a line always break at the weakest point?. If there is a better leader knot out there. I'd love to hear about it.

Kleyny
14-10-2007, 12:59 PM
I was using the albright knot but it also failed everynow and again at the knot with my 8lb fireline.
i have started to use the uni to uni knot recommended by fireline (so far so good)

neil

Little grey men
15-10-2007, 08:38 AM
I've always used the albright for light lines and the improved albright for the heavier stuff. I've yet to see this knot fail. I tie it very slowly and try to keep it neat. I broke a 20lb fluro leader on a snag out on the river the other day ( Good fun getting that to break ) and the knot held firm. One thing I do is retie my knots before every trip.

Roo
15-10-2007, 10:38 AM
I've used the slim beauty for knots in as small as 8lb braid to 12lb fluoro. Has proved to be plenty strong and runs through the guides very well.

alleycat
15-10-2007, 10:46 AM
If you get a bad batch of braid it will pop everytime no matter what, allbright or double uni is good but i use crystal fireline coz its more reliable.

Whitto
15-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Hi, i am after some knot reccomendations for doing the above......6lb fireline--8lb fluro......6lbfire-20lb fluro. i have been useing the knot from the berkley vid but when you get a snag or break the line for some reason it ALWAYS fails at the line-leader knot. Any better ones out there? Thanks Sean:DG'Day Sean, I use the Albright knot for everthing and have not had a failure, Used on Bass and Barra gear. I have to ask the question and don't take this the wrong way but others have done this, are you tying your braid to the mono or vise-versa it's all to do inpart to the size of the dressed knot, Cheers Whitto

Timfishin4fun
15-10-2007, 02:13 PM
I use the double uni and had no probs with it.

Tim

reidy
15-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Good day,
I find the uni to uni good for lighter firelines/flurocarbon but it has to be spot on or the fireline will cut through the leader.(6 lb fireline- 6lb leader(trout))
Cheers
Reidy

xerubus
15-10-2007, 03:50 PM
i'm with Tim. Always use a uni to uni knot. Haven't had any problems yet.

Franco
15-10-2007, 04:20 PM
I am with the posts above re

1. Have used the albright (improved) knot for 10 years in all line classes and often without a double, and never with supaglue, and have NEVER had this knot fail. When busting a deep snag it always broke at the lure loop knot, never at the leader knot. I always tie the knot carefully with attention to detail (such as winding the braid symetrically up and down the leader, and pulling it up really carefully and tight with alternating pressure on the leader tag and the braid tag ends). Learn how to tie this knot in detail and then trust it!

2. In recent years after fishing for barra with rods that had small guides, I started trying the slim beauty (with or without a double depending on whether I was fishing in tiger country or not!) as it runs through the guides easier than the albright when using 40-50lb leader. It too has been an awesome knot in all line classes, except I do not find it as strong as the albright when using light braids and no double, as I do with flathead fishing. To be honest the albright is easier to tie and the stronger knot if you can't be bothered using a double in light tackle scenarios.

Whichever you choose good luck with it. Pick one knot and learn to tie it to perfection and trust it is the best advice you can get. It might be worthwhile watching exactly how others pull up the knot tight, as this is crucial for the knot to perform to capacity.

nuggstar
15-10-2007, 04:56 PM
double uni ways it has been good to me. i take my time tieing them and use heaps of spit

carving it up
15-10-2007, 05:04 PM
hi Sean
I use the knot your talking about off the vid and haven't had any real problems. Obviously though it is the weakest point in the line so if something is going to let you down it usually will be that knot. When i'm chasing jew i only put on a foot of leader on and i leave 5mm excess on knot overhanging that way it's not going through any runners to hinder performance and it definately won't come undone if there is a bit of give in it. Have not had a problem since doing that.
Cheers

Horse
15-10-2007, 06:50 PM
I have tried most and have gone back to imroved albright with about 8 turns up and 8 back. Lubricate and pull up carefully. If it looks dodgy then cut it off and do it again

imnotoriginal
15-10-2007, 07:10 PM
I haven't tried the albright, but I've tried double uni and the stren knot. For me, the stren knot wins hands down. The point about pulling the knot together neatly and carefully is a good one, if it doesn't clinch right it's not going to hold correctly. I always take my time,pulling one end then the other, making the knot slide in to the correct position. Nothing hurts more than losing a fish to bad knots or faulty gear!
Joel

ezza600
20-10-2007, 02:05 PM
I am with the posts above re

1. Have used the albright (improved) knot for 10 years in all line classes and often without a double, and never with supaglue, and have NEVER had this knot fail. When busting a deep snag it always broke at the lure loop knot, never at the leader knot. I always tie the knot carefully with attention to detail (such as winding the braid symetrically up and down the leader, and pulling it up really carefully and tight with alternating pressure on the leader tag and the braid tag ends). Learn how to tie this knot in detail and then trust it!

2. In recent years after fishing for barra with rods that had small guides, I started trying the slim beauty (with or without a double depending on whether I was fishing in tiger country or not!) as it runs through the guides easier than the albright when using 40-50lb leader. It too has been an awesome knot in all line classes, except I do not find it as strong as the albright when using light braids and no double, as I do with flathead fishing. To be honest the albright is easier to tie and the stronger knot if you can't be bothered using a double in light tackle scenarios.

Whichever you choose good luck with it. Pick one knot and learn to tie it to perfection and trust it is the best advice you can get. It might be worthwhile watching exactly how others pull up the knot tight, as this is crucial for the knot to perform to capacity.

Franco, you said it all and said it well!
No further comments required in my opinion.

ffejsmada
20-10-2007, 03:24 PM
As far as I'm concerned there is only one knot for tying light braid to light flourocarbon, and that is the slim beauty.

No double, straight through to flouro.

I find that the Albright catches on the tag end and I get a few tangles around the guides. The slim beauty goes through the guides better when casting and I have never had the knot break. Mind you I have never had an albright break either.

Both are great knots, the only two I use for leader knots, but for light braid to light leader, for me its Slim Beauty all the way.

Cheers Jeff.

Sean
20-10-2007, 03:37 PM
thanks everyone, Sean......looks like im looking for a slim beauty

zaraspook
20-10-2007, 04:32 PM
have you tried making a double in your line such as a bimini twist albright combination works good on the light stuff such as 4lb, that and a double uni quick and easy to tie and have had it rarely break under stress

tunaticer
20-10-2007, 06:22 PM
I tie my variation of the albright and have no dramas with it. I always test each knot i tie to almost breaking strain to be satisfied its good. Basically the difference i make to the albright is to have the tag and the main line coming out opposite sides of the loop and do a half hitch in the tag and melt the very tip of the tag. Yet to have one unravel and often when i get a breakoff its either somewhere on the fireline or down near the jig/snap.

Jack.

reidy_g
20-10-2007, 06:35 PM
double uni ways it has been good to me. i take my time tieing them and use heaps of spit Ditto for me.

Vindicator
01-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Which knot from the berkley dvd sean? I use the 5 turn surgeons knot and it seems to work ok. Does fail there sometimes, but won't a line always break at the weakest point?. If there is a better leader knot out there. I'd love to hear about it.

The best knot for leader to braid is the ducknose. Not known to many but my brother-in-law used to be a pro and he showed me. If you're interested I could send a video somehow.

Kezza

Vindicator
01-11-2007, 08:25 PM

The best knot for leader to braid is the ducknose. Not known to many but my brother-in-law used to be a pro and he showed me. If you're interested I could send a video somehow.

Kezza