PDA

View Full Version : Hooking Yourself (or someone else)

fish-n-dive
13-10-2007, 06:25 PM
I recently saw a hardcore fishing DVD where some macho blokes were fishing around some bommies in the ocean on kayaks. Anyway this one guy managed to get a big hook caught in his chin and proceeded to work on getting it out with a pair of pliers (side cutters?).

So, it got me thinking how many of us have hooked ourselves or someone else?

Answer the pole and tell your story here.

Me; I've caught a couple of fingers while tying on lures......ouch!!8-)

wags on the water
13-10-2007, 07:13 PM
I think it should be Not yet instead of no. ;D

alleycat
13-10-2007, 07:24 PM
My grandparents had a farm right on a river so i used to go accross the road for a throw then come home and lay the rod on the veranda, twice when i was little i heard the rachet scream from the veranda as i had caught one of nans cats on a still baited hook, yep i copped it for that.

Davemclean
13-10-2007, 08:51 PM
many times, when I was learnig to cast, got myself on the back of my head, my best one was a great big hook right through the meaty part of my hand, between thumb and index finger, lol, I've also hooked my step dad a few times

fish-n-dive
13-10-2007, 09:02 PM
I think it should be Not yet instead of no. ;D

Yeah, I think your probably right..........;)

Volvo
13-10-2007, 09:21 PM
10/0 Black gamakatsu octopus in the palm of the hand with a nice Red on the other hook trying to bounce around and make it hurt even moreso..
Tad sore for awhile fer sure, initial pain so bad i just pulled it backout, backwards..
Didnt feel a thing while pulling it out but tell ya what!!?? tears in the eyebones afterwards..

lifestyle
13-10-2007, 09:29 PM
My father inlaw put a viper lure trebble through the top of my right ear while fishing for barra up at monduran. He put his rod over his shoulder to cast i here a rattle then a whack. The hook bit straight in as he contined this casting action. 50 pound braid has no give in it . Biggest thing he ever caught. lucky he diddn't try and bleed me.

pommy
13-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Greetings all!

Back in the old, cold UK as a teenager my brother managed to put a 6/0 baitholder half way up the shank into the ball of my thumb/palm as he cast out while cod fishing.:-X A few weeks before I'd manged to belt him in the kidneys with a 100g snapper lead whilst casting for maximum distance.:o

Much safer nowadays!

Rob.
Ballina

snelly1971
14-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Never been hooked or hooked anyone else.....I generally only use Circle hooks which probably have a less chance of hooking someone up...

Mick

FNQCairns
14-10-2007, 08:15 AM
I snagged my lure while trolling on someones silver rope they had cut away after their anchor snagged, alone on the boat the lure was around 4m down I pulled the lure in until I could grab the rope heaved that until it was taught and the lure could be just reached to unhook the trebles from in the rope, along comes a swell, the rope slips through one hand the lure hooks a finger on my working hand and I proceed to feel the need to follow the lure over the edge of the boat and into the water as the boat rises on the swell.

By the grace of god if I were not an athiest the lure caught only heavy skin (with a bit of blood) and pulled through at the moment I couldn't get any further over the side without going over proper, still shiver at the thought, it was the closest I have ever gone to saying goodbye, was almost surreal when it was happening, stupid act - lure is still there where it belongs, along with my too lazy to sharpen blunt hooks.

Never snagged myself or anyone with a free hook, but did get a mate in the chest with a shot of lead as a result of trying to dislodge a bad cast into a tree, being a teen at the time I rolled around the boat for an hour laughing. Still funny now looking back.

cheers fnq

ttone
14-10-2007, 08:17 AM
OUCH!!!!!!!

goddy100
14-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Have hooked myself a few times, mainly just light stuff and not deep. When I started out lure fishing for barra though, had an unfortunate incident. Was fishing up the gulf in a canoe, me in the front, a mate in the back. We were both casting lures at a snag when WHACK, straight into the back of my head. I turned around and said "Lucky it got stuck in the hat". Then I tried to get my hat off and realised it was well and truly embedded in my skull (lucky it is thick). Three hour drive to the nearest clinic. They got the gardener in with bolt cutters to cut the lure away (all those with owner trebles take note! The trebles were not as strong as owners, which were not available then, but still hard to cut).
Worst part was we got stuff all fish that trip. Squash all barbs now just to make it easier to get them out, but have never had the opportunity to try since then (thankfully).
Goddy

fish-n-dive
14-10-2007, 08:58 AM
I snagged my lure while trolling on someones silver rope they had cut away after their anchor snagged, alone on the boat the lure was around 4m down I pulled the lure in until I could grab the rope heaved that until it was taught and the lure could be just reached to unhook the trebles from in the rope, along comes a swell, the rope slips through one hand the lure hooks a finger on my working hand and I proceed to feel the need to follow the lure over the edge of the boat and into the water as the boat rises on the swell.

By the grace of god if I were not an athiest the lure caught only heavy skin (with a bit of blood) and pulled through at the moment I couldn't get any further over the side without going over proper, still shiver at the thought, it was the closest I have ever gone to saying goodbye, was almost surreal when it was happening, stupid act - lure is still there where it belongs, along with my too lazy to sharpen blunt hooks.

Never snagged myself or anyone with a free hook, but did get a mate in the chest with a shot of lead as a result of trying to dislodge a bad cast into a tree, being a teen at the time I rolled around the boat for an hour laughing. Still funny now looking back.

cheers fnq

LOL..........(sorry) mate, thats a great story and and even greater lesson!!;)

Kurichan
14-10-2007, 12:53 PM
I've been hooked - never hooked anyone else. (yet)

More importantly, what is this technique I've only heard of with wrapping a hand of line over the hook and backing it out (I really have no idea how it's done, just that such a technique does exist).

Most people I know know who've been in this pedicament have just cut off the eye and pushed the hook through.

fish-n-dive
14-10-2007, 01:27 PM
I've been hooked - never hooked anyone else. (yet)

More importantly, what is this technique I've only heard of with wrapping a hand of line over the hook and backing it out (I really have no idea how it's done, just that such a technique does exist).

Most people I know know who've been in this pedicament have just cut off the eye and pushed the hook through.

These guys are not the most proficient at it but here is the principle of how it's done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg0EYQOVRYg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_zAuQ2bm9U

barkers creek
14-10-2007, 07:09 PM
few years back we were walking up the mud banks to the barra spot me dad and dads mate up raglen creek when next thingh i new i had a trebble straight through my ear lobe clean out the other side hurt for about 5 mins then couldnt really feel it dads mate had a good old joke and said he wasnt taken it out and getting my ear peased was early crissy present .......off with the barbed end and slide straight back through

Little grey men
15-10-2007, 11:27 AM
My little boy turned to me the other day with his rod and I got two sets of trebles stuck in my stomach....needless to say, he had my full attention for a while. After yelling STAND STILL, he dropped his rod.....OOOUUUCCCHHHH !!!
Luckily I make all of his hooks barbless, to make it easy to get out of him.

I like to upgrade the trebles on certain smallish Bass lures while sitting in front of the telly at night. The family are getting used to my sudden swearing and bandaids.

Dr_Dan
15-10-2007, 12:17 PM
First time i hooked myself, i was still in a nappy. Went for big cast, jagged the backside of the nappy, couldn't figure out where the cast had gone

SgBFish
15-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Allycat.

Thatís a good looking fishing companion you have there.

Watch your bait board those healers have a habit of cleaning them for you when ever you look around then have the hide to look innocent.

Scott

reidy
15-10-2007, 01:36 PM
yo myself and others.
12 foot tinnie, 2x fly rods working,big wind.
a recipe for pain.Back and back of head.One good thing is that small dry fly hooks can be pulled with your fingers. ouch
A lead headed stripper hurts 10x more in the back of the head,just lacks the velocity to penetrate the skull. ha ha
all the best
Reidy

Guido
16-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Similar incident to yours FNQ...

Somehow a bigmouth hook got stuck in the anchor rope...and forgotten about. On the next drop I was letting the anchor rope out and guiding it through my hand when *WHAM* it went through the chunky flesh of my palm below the thumb.

I used a bit of ice from the esky to ease the pain, but I still couldn't pop this thing back the way it came. Along came a nice blunt filleting knife to open up the hole in my hand and it was out. My mate looked a bit green watching me hack away for 10 minutes!

Guido

Cammy
16-10-2007, 10:27 PM
from about 13 onwards i was hooking my self anyway i could,even in the car.

cam

reel scream
16-10-2007, 10:52 PM
OUCH!!!!!!!

I hope thats a knee in the 1st photo and not one of the one's between our legs:'( :'( :'( .

Cheers Scott

nigelr
17-10-2007, 06:00 AM
Painful subject.
This link is a worthwhile download, IMO.
Keep a copy on board!
Cheers!
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010601/2231.pdf

Flattie Assassin
17-10-2007, 06:13 AM
I put a treble in my thumb yesterday!!! Barbs and all. Had to take time to recompose before pulling it out. >:(

Tailortaker
17-10-2007, 01:58 PM
I once went fishing with an exgirlfreinds father, he thought it would be good to take his young son and teach him how to fish, the young fella went to cast with his dad standing behind him talking him through it, he swang the rod back and went for a big cast. on the swing the hook went straight through the old boy's nose barb and all ! a quick trip to the local ambo and they had to snip the hook to remove it. What a great way for a young fella to start fishing.
Cheers TT
________
Ass Milf (http://www.####tube.com/categories/158/milf/videos/1)

ffejsmada
18-10-2007, 07:06 PM
7/0 Mustad Tarpon, straight up my nose!!!!

theclick
18-10-2007, 09:51 PM
7/0 Mustad Tarpon, straight up my nose!!!!.....and you look happy about it.....

Isnt through the nose like the easiest way to get to the brain.. kinda dangerous

LostNearBribie
18-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Bream, trebles, thumb, hospital.
Managed to get the bream off and he swam away quite happy...

avagowal
19-10-2007, 05:22 AM
:'( yeh the wife got me what ever she had on the line let go the 2/0 chemical sharpened went straight in me upper lip and ripped straight out while the sinker knocked me tooth out 4 stiches later i still duck when she winds in :o

the other was sometime back fishing for blue groper was very lucky had 50lb line on the alvey 8/0 hook running sinker i was stuck on a rock a short way out i give me 9wrap rod a couple of good yanks and bang it come off hitting me fair in the nuts very soarr but very glad the hook didnt go in;D

preso
20-10-2007, 07:27 AM
Yeh. Fly fishing, back cast, gust of wind ouch!!!
Inside top lip. Very funny. Released what I caught to fish another day.

username_taken
21-10-2007, 06:19 PM
I remember seeing on TV, I think it was one of those 'medical emergency' shows a guy who caught a squid-jig in his mouth, apparently lodged at the top of his throat. I reckon you'd wish you were dead!

Davemclean
21-10-2007, 08:40 PM
another time, I had a 50g sinker belt me on the back of the head and the hook lodged in my cheek, lol

no wonder my mates call me calamity dave...

boogsboat
30-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi all,

Not to proud to admit that I have hooked my self lucky enough not to deep and just pulled it out, I have also hooked rods in rocket holders and the ocassional car seat when Iam to lazy to lures off. Had to attack the lovely wifes car seat with my sharpest knife to get my lure back. That will teach the seat for getting in the way of my lure and yes I did get yelled at again.

Nathan

Eagle
30-10-2007, 09:23 PM
I was standing on a small bridge that a creek passed under when it was in flood from a cyclone that came in. The creek was now flowing and barra were being caught with lures. A young boy got a single hook from a treble stuck in his finger and couldnt get it out. An old bloke took the boys hand and simply ripped the hook out, tearing the flesh of the young boys finger :o . I never did find out if the old bloke was a relative or a stranger. I have never seen anyone be as cruel as this in removing a hook and I felt so sorry for the boy. Not five minutes later, the old bloke gets a treble logged in the back of his finger. ( ;D You're gonna like this part ). So he says to me, "Can you get it out?"
"Oh, yes, I can get it out," I replied, ;D and held his finger while I tried to rip the hook out the same way he did for the young boy. This blokes finger was so tough that all I managed to do was wave his finger/hand all over the sky in my attempt to remove the hook. This was obviously creating a great deal of (well deserved) pain :'( , so he says, "Let me do it". >:(
He then bent over, placed his foot on his finger and gave the lure one mighty great ripping heave. Nothing happened. He stands on his finger and hand once more and with a terrific rip, he tore the hook out of his finger. He was very lucky the hook hadn't gone under a tendon or he would have ripped that out as well. I left the secne then, the young boy also went off with his gear. This was the greatest piece of poetic justice I have ever seen ;D and I remember it like yesterday even though it happened in '76.
Joe

NAGG
03-11-2007, 08:51 PM
On my first to NZ ... to fly fish the Tongariro River ..... I tonked my self in the back of the head with one of their big tungsten bead head nymphs ( known as bombs)..... 15464They use these 1/12th oz bombs to get down in the deep & fast flowing rivers ................. Even through a thick beanie it still stunned me ( like a ball bearing fired through a sling shot) ..... I was seeing stars ......... Apparently the local doctor had a collection of these bombs that had been removed from heads , ears , necks & backs::) .... Nagg

1lastcast
06-11-2007, 03:13 PM
I was fishing a rock ledge at jervis bay a few years ago with some mates and other land based game fishos .
This asian fella had a 14 foot surf rod fitted with a float and a yakka he went for a hell cast out in the ocean and the poor bastard standing behind him copped a 12/0 live bait hook straight in the knee the hook was firmly lodged deep under his knee cap the poor bloke was in agony and couldnt move his leg so three poeple had to carry the poor fella out ( 2 km back to the carpark ) and of to hospital .
A sure fire way to stuff up a trip.
I now own a boat and will never stand shoulder to shoulder trying to live bait again.

Peter4
06-11-2007, 03:17 PM
I responded 'no' to this poll and two weeks later did this at Monduran. First time I've ever hooked myself in 35 years of fishing!!

Pete

Spiero
06-11-2007, 08:20 PM
When i was a young fella, was fishing at the local weir and managed to snag my favourite stump jumper in what i thought was fairly shallow water. So in my moronic youth i thought i would be smart to jump in and run the line between my big toe and the next one, was all good until the trebble got stuck in my foot and my mount was just out of water with my head tilted right back, thank god a mate was with me and jumped in and cut the line otherwise i think i could have been in a spot of bother, all that for a $10 lure, but back then that was a full weeks pay on the paper round!!!!

And hooking myself was my reason for putting flyfishing on hold, only so many times can a bloke peice his ear!

tully
07-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Was waiting in casualty ward once with the missus who had dropped something on her big toe and ripped the nail off (women have a high tolerance for pain, she really toughed it out). A guy walked in with a big salt water fly right in the middle of his back, and was still wearing his flyfishing club T-shirt. The picture of the fly on his shirt was identical to the real thing, which was stuck directly over the picture. Freaky.

turtleshead
08-11-2007, 10:16 PM
When i was a young fella, was fishing at the local weir and managed to snag my favourite stump jumper in what i thought was fairly shallow water. So in my moronic youth i thought i would be smart to jump in and run the line between my big toe and the next one, was all good until the trebble got stuck in my foot and my mount was just out of water with my head tilted right back, thank god a mate was with me and jumped in and cut the line otherwise i think i could have been in a spot of bother, all that for a $10 lure, but back then that was a full weeks pay on the paper round!!!!

And hooking myself was my reason for putting flyfishing on hold, only so many times can a bloke peice his ear!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

oldboot
12-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Isn't this how body pearcing was invented.

A bloke catches himself thru the eybrow....... tooo woosy to pull it out ... too stingy to pay for the dock....... left it there and said it looked good and was on perpose

cheers

Stottles
12-11-2007, 09:32 PM
was riging up last nite at the north entrance beach (central coast nsw) and managed to hook myself just above my top lip on the right hand side. went in nicely just under the barb of my 1/0 chem sharpened hurt like a bitch, strangely enough not as much blood as i'd expected lol guess thats a good thing.

vector
13-11-2007, 04:56 PM
i was trying to pull a metal slug off a rock, lure let go and was hurtling toward my face, put my hand up to stop it and the hook buried itself in my hand, spent about 3hrs in hospital they tryed cuttting it out with a scalpel, eventually she cut the hook and pushed it all the way through, the slug was a big one aswell.

reidy
19-11-2007, 02:59 PM
On my first to NZ ... to fly fish the Tongariro River ..... I tonked my self in the back of the head with one of their big tungsten bead head nymphs ( known as bombs)..... 15464They use these 1/12th oz bombs to get down in the deep & fast flowing rivers ................. Even through a thick beanie it still stunned me ( like a ball bearing fired through a sling shot) ..... I was seeing stars ......... Apparently the local doctor had a collection of these bombs that had been removed from heads , ears , necks & backs::) .... Nagg
To right Nagg
Lead/tung. heads (as stated in my previous post) only just lack the velocity to penetrate the skull.
You forgot to mention the golf ball sized lump that goes with the impact. LOL:)
Hope your lump is gone.
And by the way it will happen again:o
Cheers
Reidy

horseboy
21-11-2007, 10:29 PM
I have hooked myself a couple of times as well as been hooked by other people.
The first bad one was in the middle of the Kimberlys and we had been catching big queenie i was fiching with a big gold scorpian(rmg) when i tried to get the hook out of a fishh with pliers it kicked driving the front treble into my thumb. i cut the split ring with the pliers so the fish didnt rip my thumb of then cut the hook and pushed it through. Another time i was working as a guide in Arnham land one of my clients caught a 90cm barra i was just i had just lip grabed the fish to get the hook out when my client lifted the rod i still dont know why. it drove the front treble again into the webbing between the index and ring finger so again i cut the rings and kept the clients fishing it was not until they saw the blood after i had pulled the hook out they even knew it happened. i could not tell them it was his fault but they thought i was a legend after that and gave me some good tips.

Wade

hookinin
21-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Have removed hooks a few times on others(self inflicted) but in the case of trebles have always removed them from the lure especially if the lure has more than one treble. I use a good pair of side cutters to cut through the eye of the hook and the other points. Then use the fishing line and pressure to the shank method. When ready to pull out lay a towel or rag over it to stop the hook flying off

basskid
22-11-2007, 08:06 PM
The worst thing that happened to me, it was on Christmas night, i was ripping open my presents ever so sneakily when,............ AHHH Crap i some how ripped open a Tilsan Bass Minnow, when i had my fingers in the present and some how managed to get a treble in my finger..... after a quick ring to the Ambulance Officer and i was rushed to Caloundra Hospital on Christmas night!!!!! What an experiance if you have a youn Child who like sneaking into there presents, let em read this. Haha this will get em' fixed up............ P.S thans to Ambo's for taking me on Christmas Night and i hope some of you guys get a laught out of this because when it first happened i could but help have a Giggle,
Cheers!

geoff72
22-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Caught my first ever giant herring on a popper,landed him,good couple of kilos,while getting the hook out, the bugger jumped around sticking the bottom treble in my finger,all you could see was the straight if the hook,couple of good blokes and a council worker tried to pull it out but wouldnt budge,got it cut off at the leader and drove myself to the docs with the popper still in my finger,couple of local injections later it gets cut out and bandaged up,went straight back and tried to get another,untill the locals wore off and i called it quits.

4x4frog
24-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Luckily, no real hookings to write about or remember for me, touch wood.
I remember one time I was in the PA years ago for an eye operation, they brought in this guy from Rockhampton who had been out fishing. He had been snagged and gave the rod an almighty tug and the whole lot came loose and came sailing through the air, toward him. Sinker took his right eye out:'(:o

laney
25-11-2007, 10:59 AM
ive never hooked myself but i did hook one of my good mates only a few weeks ago. three of us were fishing with poppers out of my tinny i had been real careful all afternoon when casting making sure it wasnt going to clean someone up.

i put the rod back ready to throw checked to see if one of my mates were there, check, no one there so its time to cast. so i go to throw the lure than as i got the rod just past vertical i feel this big pull i knew straight away what had happened so dropped the rod. i got my mate just above the eye with two of the hooks. i felt pretty bad for a while thats for sure but he was a good sport and he still insits on me having my popper back.

and a picture

Gamble
26-11-2007, 10:42 AM
I was surf fishing and to get a really good long cast out over the waves i left about a metre of line out. i brought my rod back and as i rip the rod around to cast the hook got caugh in my heal. Went straight through the area between the bone and the ligiment. Add abit of sand and salt water to the equation it was a hell of a good time

Little grey men
26-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Reading all of these stories and seeing some of the pretty pictures makes me think of the flying hooks on chain scene from the first Hellraiser movie:o ....ouch !!!

Davemclean
28-11-2007, 06:11 AM
hahaha, great movies

lol

I didn't hook myself, but sunday I accidently stabbed myself in the leg, an 3cm deep lol

Little grey men
28-11-2007, 08:36 AM
hahaha, great movies

Movies created by a fellow countrymen of yours I believe.
The very talented and twisted Mr Clive Barker..