PDA

View Full Version : Drawer bar to extend the length of trailer when retrieving?

fender22
13-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Guys, I've seen a few boats advertised with "drawer bars", 2 or 3 metres long that you can use on the ramp so you don't have to back your car down so far ro the water. Per my previous post I have a big boat and find I have to drive back until my car back wheels are nearly in the water. I have known guys with ski boats who have used a similar thing. Is their such a thing available or would someone know how to make one? Is it safe?

Pirate_Pete_Tas
13-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi fender22

I have seen some like this rough sketch. It hinges off the side of the draw bar & has a ball on it that hooks into the coupling of the trailer. When its not being used the extension coupling hooks onto another ball mounted on the mud guard.
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/pldutton/images/Trailerext.JPG

Hamish73
13-10-2007, 06:56 PM
The ones I have seen are folding. You have the normal draw bar for towing, then there is another one that pivots from the front which gives you a few extra metres, designed for beach launching. Probably a bit of an overkill for a ramp.

edit: like petes drawing

seatime
13-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Yes, I have one like Pete's drawing, used for beach launching at places like Waddy Pt & Pt Lookout where it's shallow in the gutters. Also works well at ramps with a small incline angle (or really low tide with silt build-up at end of ramp). I drive-on/off so it's especially useful when working solo.
Only rig up the drawbar when you have lined up the trailer on the ramp or beach to launch as it's not legal to tow anywhere with the extension (no brakes, etc).
I had mine custom built for the trailer by Belco.

snelly1971
13-10-2007, 09:34 PM
The ab boys use them here alot...they have the drawbar which slides inside itself....pull it out to the length you want and put a pin through it...I have also seen some where they have a fold down spare wheel which helps carry the load on the extendable bar..

MIck

predator
14-10-2007, 12:14 PM
A pic for ya.

Alan TSV
14-10-2007, 12:51 PM
my old trailer. this one actually stuffed my boat

Al