PDA

View Full Version : Unhitching on a slope

ss--ss
12-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Hello, Just a question on unhitching a trailer on a slope.. I've got a 5.5metre boat which has quiet a bit of weight .. If I want to park it in a driveway which is fairly steep is there any tips to removing it from the bullbar .. I'm scared there will be too much force & it will spring up & wack the car or someones hand when I take it off the tow ball..

zigfreed
12-10-2007, 04:34 PM
If your worried about the drawbar going upwards maybe you need to move the axle towards the back of the trailer slighty to change the weight distrubution. By doing this you will effectively make the coupling end heavier thus making it want to fall down to ground not project past your head.

Couple of large wooden chocks for the wheels would'nt go astray either by the sounds of it.

Cheers

Mick

ss--ss
12-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Yes the axial is way back so I guess it won't flick up as most of the weight is on the towbar.. Think I may need a hydraulic car jack to lift it off..

troy
12-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Mate i have a similiar problem when i reverse into my garage the trailer is higger then my vehicle and when you try winding the jockey wheel the vehicle goes up with it.
I fluke it sometimes by having a lot of grease on the tow ball but not always.
Troy

ss--ss
13-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks guys, I decided to put the boat on a flat section it's a bit of a hassle getting into but I think I wont risk the hilly area..