PDA

View Full Version : 93 pajero

bay local
12-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Hi, I've been looking at getting a 4wd and was wondering how the pajero's compare to hilux's, 4 runners.I was looking at around the 93 model turbo diesel. I was wondering how they handle the beach, soft sand etc. I've looked at a few and they seem like they might be to heavy for the turbo diesel and is the standard height alright for soft sand as some seem pretty low?
Thanks.

Poodroo
12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Okay I'll go first. Most people on here know that I am the owner of that exact model in a 3.0 litre V6 and the wife has the 3.5 litre in a 95 model. Now here is where it all began. Many years ago my desire to own a vehicle to get off the bitumen started me looking for just a cheap vehicle and I came across one that was for sale by a work colleague. Unfortunately it was an old 72 Landcruiser that was a real money pit. The more rust I had cut out the more I realized it had. Ended up selling it to someone for parts in the end and then decided that I would buy something newer. But just what to buy was the big question. I had my heart set on a 60 series Cruiser or something similar however the 4wd people I knew back then said they were great cars but too thirsty. My brother had a 97 Model 2.8 litre Turbo diesel Pajero and invited me to go along with him to a fishing competition at Fraser Island. It was there that I truly realized that the Pajero was a very under rated 4wd. He did stuff in it that was to me very mind boggling. Even when the uncle played a trick on him by taking it out of 4wd whilst parked in loose sand while we were beach fishing we simply bogged in and realized we were in 2 wheel drive and just put it back in 4wd and climbed out easily. I was so sold on the performance that I decided I would buy one myself and it turned out to be one of my best decisions ever. The vehicle has served me well and I have clocked up 380,000klms (all original) and still on the original engine and gearbox. The only thing that isn't original is a new clutch and cam belt which I changed at 350,000klms (well overdue).
My brother is having a flawless run out of his turbo diesel to this day and I am more than happy with mine. My wifes 95 Pajero is going strong as well and never missed a beat for her either. Highly recommend them.

Poodroo

Roughasguts
12-10-2007, 05:21 PM
I got a 94 NJ 3.0 litre it handles the sand okay with desert duelers on it, got to let the air out though sometimes 13 Psi. They are a tad gutless once they run out of puff that's it for them don't matter if it's sand or a slight bitumen hill, once the rev's drop it's over for the power plant.

I got 240 K on mine replaced clutch, water pump timing belt.
I paid 17 K for it around 5 years ago, be lucky to get 6K for it now, they just don't hold there dollars.

SEC
13-10-2007, 09:28 AM
The Paj is a pretty good truck esspecially in the diesel for that year I work a Mitsu dealer as a mechanic and have been there almost ten years and very rarly see them fail at all only at extremly high K's the petol requires a bit more maintenance (tend to have oil leaks in hard to get places)but live on well into old age. Just get your suspention greased regularly or will go through ball joints and pitman arms pretty quick

shano
14-10-2007, 09:12 AM
i have a 96 3.5 pet in auto and am yet to get stuck on the sand! there a comfy car! only down point is there is not alot of cargo room in the back! i now have roof racks!

bay local
14-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Thank's for the info guy's, I might go see what I can find. It sound's like they would be suitable for the 4wd I'd be doing.