PDA

View Full Version : Mounting speed wheels near transducer?

bugman
11-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Hello all,

The new Lowrance has a speed wheel sensor.

How far away do I have to mount it from the transducer.

The new boat has a transducer mounting bracket. Can you mount both on the same brakcet - probably 12 cms apart.

I'd prefer that to drilling holes in the transom but will the wheel interfere with the sounder?

Bett

blaze
11-10-2007, 08:24 PM
I have mine on the other side, IMO it spins so it has to arate a bit
cheers
blaze

Chimo
11-10-2007, 08:30 PM
My Furuno triducer has all three mounted together with the wheel to the rear; never had a problem.

Chimo

MyEscape
12-10-2007, 05:38 AM
Bugman,

Need a photo? I can show you mine and it works well.

Steve

Roughasguts
12-10-2007, 09:10 AM
My speed wheel is mounted just behind my tranducer, it works.
But the speed ain't acurate it seems to read around 5 MPH faster than the GPS.

bugman
12-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Blaze,

Shouldn't you be here;D

Sea Jay - I'll take you up on the photo.

The Lowrance has two different brackets which need to be mounted separetely. I guess with the wheel behind the transduce on the other setups the transducer gets clean water first.

I'm wondering if side by side will cause problems.

I might have to suck it and see.

Brett

reel-em-in
13-10-2007, 06:01 PM
I have both a speed wheel and transducer mounted side by side (hummingbird) and have no problems with the soundings. As stated by Roughasguts the accuracy is variable. I only use mine as it also houses the temperature guage.

Also now that the speed wheel noise is quite noticable.

Dr Squid
13-10-2007, 06:18 PM
IMO speed wheels are a waste of time, because they measure speed through water. If you're heading directly into, say a five knot current, the speed will be out by five knots. Speed over ground, supplied by a gps, is way more accurate and reliable. But if you must use a speed wheel, i would measure a 45 deg angle from the place you want to mount the speed wheel. if it intersects with the transducer, move it till it doesn't.

My Furuno triducer has all three mounted together with the wheel to the rear; never had a problem.

Chimo

thats because the wheels mounted behind the transducer, the water that the speed wheel turbulates(if that is a word :)) has already passed over the transducer.

Roughasguts
14-10-2007, 09:58 AM
IMO speed wheels are a waste of time, because they measure speed through water. If you're heading directly into, say a five knot current, the speed will be out by five knots. Speed over ground, supplied by a gps, is way more accurate and reliable. But if you must use a speed wheel, i would measure a 45 deg angle from the place you want to mount the speed wheel. if it intersects with the transducer, move it till it doesn't.

thats because the wheels mounted behind the transducer, the water that the speed wheel turbulates(if that is a word :)) has already passed over the transducer.

I agree the speed wheel ain't accurate.
But when you look at a trip log Gps compared to me sounder temp speed reader the log is only a few points of a mile out in a short 30 mile trip, 10 hour day.
So I'm happy to use mine as a log.