PDA

View Full Version : how many people fish lures and how many fish bait?

breamnut
11-10-2007, 06:56 PM
just wondering how many people fish lures or bait? or you use bait and would rather catch fish on lures or vise versa.
i fish lures

Daniel_603
11-10-2007, 07:12 PM
I fish with both.It depends on what iam fishing for as to whether i prefer bait or lures.

finga
11-10-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm a stinker but would like to learn 'the darkside'
:)

Sean
11-10-2007, 07:17 PM
bit of both....mainly lures

Flattie Assassin
11-10-2007, 07:18 PM
I have not used live bait for over 2 yrs. I prefer to try and mimick the bait. It's way more fun. Plus lures are addictive.

imnotoriginal
11-10-2007, 07:37 PM
About 80% lures. I love using live bait when I can get it, but plastics and poppers are my main form of fishing.
Joel

bigdonk
11-10-2007, 08:05 PM
bait in my boat is not allowed...LOL:D i just prefer using lures, cant remember the last time i used bait...maby 3 years ago on a cherter boat....

cheers BD;D

onerabbit
11-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Good ol' mullet, the fish that everything likes to eat.

Gee I'd hate to come back as a mullet.

Muzz

breamnut
11-10-2007, 08:15 PM
haha
my new boat will have that same strict new rule! bait was taken into my old boat to show my mates how much li would outfish them using lures while they fished bait.
although i only took em flattie fishin. 10 fish in 10 casts and they soon switch to a lure!

Tailortaker
11-10-2007, 08:21 PM
I fish bait, I keep tryin SP's but with no success, I made a point the other day to NOT take any bait out just SP's but nothing. I need to learn.
________
Colorado marijuana dispensary (http://colorado.dispensaries.org/)

JT
11-10-2007, 10:42 PM
100% lures - haven't fished with bait for around 4 or 5 years I suppose.

Cheers

John

Tropicaltrout
11-10-2007, 10:45 PM
flick lures through the day and livey's at night, prefer lures though

Synful
12-10-2007, 06:34 AM
I generally like bait better but have been making a concerted effort to learn lures lately.
Had a few follows from some good fish, just haven't taken anything solid on a lure as yet - take both and you can't lose in my opinion ;D

My favourite is to drift with a bait in a rod holder and flick some lures; best of both wolds 8-)

blaze
12-10-2007, 07:55 AM
I reckon all these polls about SP, Bait, lures are a bit of a no brainer. Surely people fish what is best for the type of fishing to get best results. I love bait fishing because it suits what I try to achaive, relaxation and a feed. But at times I tow skirts for game fish, dabble with a plastic because I can, through metal slices because thats what works best, flick a fly to see if I can trick a fish (most times just tricking myself), even been know to hook up a life bait (nearly unheard of in tassie). So what ever it takes on the day is what I use.
cheers
blaze

nuggstar
12-10-2007, 08:04 AM
im a big fat lure junky. but i do use live bait once in a blue moon haha. i use poppers and bream hardbodys most of the time and if they dont work i use a plastic

Poseidon
12-10-2007, 09:08 AM
No bait in my boat either. I would once fish live bait however found myself spending most of the day chasing baits and not enough time fishing. When we got bait it was off to a hole or snag, anchor up and await some action. After a few years I was getting sick of chasing bait, bored off the dial waiting for hits, and annoyed at having to clean the entire inside of the boat to remove mud, sand and whatever else the cast-net would bring into the hull.
Then a whole new world opened up "LURES". I learnt so much from others more experienced in lure fishing, which I think is critical if you want to make a go of it, got rid of hooks and sinkers, ditched the floppy fibreglass rods and mono and have never looked back.
Lures have given me such a zest to get fair-dinkum with fishing, no more anchoring, rather moving and chasing fish. It has allowed me to fish many different locations and opened the world of impoundment freshwater fishing.
I don't think I could ever go back to bait.

STUIE63
12-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Bait for me nothing like a whole pillie
Stuie

Scott nthQld
12-10-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm more of a bait man, but I've just started to have a go at lures, and with my first lure caught Jack in the bag last week, I can't wait to get into a few more.

breamnut
12-10-2007, 05:36 PM
I reckon all these polls about SP, Bait, lures are a bit of a no brainer. Surely people fish what is best for the type of fishing to get best results. I love bait fishing because it suits what I try to achaive, relaxation and a feed. But at times I tow skirts for game fish, dabble with a plastic because I can, through metal slices because thats what works best, flick a fly to see if I can trick a fish (most times just tricking myself), even been know to hook up a life bait (nearly unheard of in tassie). So what ever it takes on the day is what I use.
cheers
blaze
then why reply to the forum???
nobody has asked how many people use lures or bait or even if someone would like to learn to use lures.
if you dont like a topic then dont go complaining about it just dont reply

Tailortaker
12-10-2007, 08:16 PM
then why reply to the forum???
nobody has asked how many people use lures or bait or even if someone would like to learn to use lures.
if you dont like a topic then dont go complaining about it just dont reply
I think you need to look at your question and dont winge when people are answering it ya d#*k.
________
Bondage Cam (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/fetish/bdsm/)

Cammy
12-10-2007, 08:16 PM
i like bait , relaxing and enjoying the scenery. i have fished lures before but i prefere bait

cam

fish-n-dive
13-10-2007, 08:54 AM
I use both and have no real preference because it really depends on what I'm targeting and what will give me the best chance of a catch..............

haggis
14-10-2007, 08:20 PM
I prefer bait but also use lures depending where I am fishing .
will have a go at most things . as long as iam fishing i am happy .
cheers haggis .........................

PinHead
14-10-2007, 08:23 PM
bait only..none of that artificial stuff for me

Timmy94
14-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Bait for me Lures can Go to Hell. Dont like my opinion meet me after dark.

breamnut
15-10-2007, 04:46 PM
all i wanted to see was how many guys fished bait and how many gyus fished lures. it was not intended to be a bait vs lures topic
and all i was refering to before was the ''bait and lures topic being a no brainer''
geez

Why-ting
15-10-2007, 10:02 PM
No bait in my boat. Artificials all the way.

Whytey

breamnut
16-10-2007, 11:48 AM
i guess its a pritty even field in both worlds.
some guys really like to chase the fish while others just like to relax a bit more.
both methods catch plenty of fish for different people

Sean
16-10-2007, 07:42 PM
yeah, i guess some people like using the good method amd some the bad.....you can fight amongst yourselves as to which is which, Sean

jackextracter
17-10-2007, 12:26 AM
the only bait i use sometimes is live mullet for jacks.

Stottles
17-10-2007, 12:08 PM
I use both, depending on the wheather, time, factors in to what i use. sometimes ill even use both throwing a baited line in then goin off around the rocks or river and try my luck with a soft plastic. from my experience in the places i've fished in lures are good at certin times of day but other then that they dont do much i usually fish with bait during the afternoon and just on nite fall will go and throw some soft plastics around and get some falttys. biggest so far was 45cm which aint to bad outa tuggerah lakes, still not big enough to take home tho =(

BigE
18-10-2007, 06:04 PM
I use lures to catch my bait :)

BigE

Skip cliche
20-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Last 6 months have been SP's and hard bodies. 90% SP's.....catch rate is only now starting to pick up using SP's. I'd have to say its about even with bait however it has taken a lot of learning and changes in gear/technique to get to where i am now.
Bait is only on board now for berlying up or if i'm doing an overnighter as i'm far from convinced at this stage about the benefits of SP's at night.

tunaticer
20-10-2007, 07:27 PM
I am taking the kids father out for a fish tomorrow and he is definitely not a lure fisho, I might end up playing with the smelly stuff for a change. That would be a novelty.

Jack.

Captain_Zero
20-10-2007, 07:46 PM
I fish both and sometimes I have a bait out and flick SP's around while waiting for a hit on the bait (I used to smoke while waiting for a bite so flicking lures is a lot healthier).

I have caught quite a few fish on SP's but a good fish on bait is still good fun. I would like to do more fishing with hard body lures though as I have only caught two fish (and one was a grinner) casting hard bodies.

Regards

Chris

Davemclean
21-10-2007, 08:42 PM
I use both depending on species

chrisallangler
21-10-2007, 09:16 PM
I love my artificials, however the only time i will use bait ( and it will only be live bait) is when im fishing in the upper reaches of the brissy and logan rivers as the water clarity is literally up sh**s creek. I know alot of people will say plastics and lures work in darker water but i will keep trying with sp's in the dirtier water however i will have a live prawn in the water waiting for a salmon. The other time i would use live bait is in the same area fishing for sharks, artificials don't work quite aswell with harks lol. But when push comes to shove GO THE ARTIFICIALS! and when i get my boat i will most probably emply the no bait rule aswell.

plaztix
22-10-2007, 06:26 PM
The last couple of times i have been out i have taken a bit of bait out for a ride. :P

Both times, at the end of the session i dumped the whole lot. ::)

Gotta fatten up the fish, so i can come back and catch them on SP's.;);)

the gecko
24-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Both. I use lures for the first 2 hrs of a session while I motor around with the electric. When I get tired of casting, I anchor up and use bait.

The lures get more fish in the boat, but mullet flesh gets the bigger ones. Also gets more vermin too.

cheers
Andrew

NAGG
25-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Lures for the majority of my fishing:) The exceptions are when I take non fisher folks or when I go Game fishing in a mates boat (YFT / Marlin) & use live baits ... Nagg

Great White
29-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Both ways ;D

Have caught most of my fish on the stink stuff, but now tend to try and use SP's

Leighton
11-12-2007, 04:58 PM
The only bait on my boat is for the crab pots and all the bait I get is caught on lures

ryansrods
11-12-2007, 05:06 PM
mate i use both but reakon nothin beats free swimmin a livy the strikes are bone shaterin

barra_mauler001
11-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Yea I use both most of the time.. just chuck the bait out and leave it while lureing.
cheers barra

Wheelchairguy
18-12-2007, 09:28 AM
I fish primarily bait but would LOVE to learn how to use lures if anyone out there is willing to share their tips on lure types and styles for estuary fishing the tweed then that would be GREAT.