PDA

View Full Version : NPD new Restrictions?

rayken1938
10-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Just been reading on another site that there are new signs and maps installed at all access points at NPD.
I have not been there to see them but apparently they have opened up some areas and closed others.
It is also reported that the maps are ambigious as they do not reflect the current water levels.
An other person who also posted on the thread also stated that a mate ran into " ranger darren " who stated that people caught outside the permitted area would now be fined and have their gear confiscated.
I have no beef about permitted areas but have a concern re the statement about the so called ranger whom there was a lot of controversity in the past when it was proved that he does not exist.
Does anyone have any info on whether the rangers have now been empowered to issue fines and confiscate gear?
The last info that I had was that they had no legal powers and could only ask you to move on and if you refused they could only call the police who could charge you with trespass.
Cheers
Ray

Little grey men
10-10-2007, 11:55 AM
I saw the signs on Sunday arvo. There is a red line drawn right around the back part of the dam, starting at the taped off area at Mcgavins and going right around and finishing about 2km walk from Forgans. Got a bit of a shock as I've fished way past these areas in the past.
Can't comment on the Ranger as I've only seen him once mucking around with the BBQ's at Mcgavins. I doubt if they'd try to confiscate any gear...I know I'd fall on the ground screaming and kicking until they gave it back.

shayned
10-10-2007, 09:54 PM
As to the legalities suggest you pm Fitzy from sweetwater, as to long term change I look foward to seeing you at the next meeting and getting your much needed input.
Cheers
Shayne

Nog
12-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Bugger I was planing on taking my 4 and 6 yo up for a fish on Saturday to an easily accessible spot (with Bass). are there any other easy access points to fish with a less than 10min walk in?

I usually go myself and take a thermos for the walks, so I'm not up with the closer spots.

Cheers

Norm

Little grey men
12-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Hey Norm, sent you a pm mate.

black_sheep
12-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Rangers are NOT empowered to give fines or confescate gear. They can tell you to leave or call the police - that's it.

As for the new signs, I have had several discussions with DPI, SEQWater, Pine Rivers Shire, BCC etc to ascertain who has jurisdiction over areas of the dam and evenn SEQWater have failed to produce this.

The problem with the Rangers get up people fishing outside of the picnic areas is that the signage at the time did not clearly define areas that resticted. It invited you to fish the whole dam.

If they have erected appopriate signs that CLEARLY state where you can and can't fish, you going to find it hard to argue the point unless you know where the 'ownership' boundaries fall i.e. who owns what land around the dam and even if you do find out - can you still gain access to those areas without trespassing through SEQWater land!!!!

It's been a hot topic for about 2 yrs now and I'm still yet to gain any solid information from anyone including SEQWater stating were they have jurisdiction over. As far I as have been able to ascertain, they really only have jurisdiction over the picnic areas. There main concerns are: Safety and vandilism

It's a shame that SEQWater have imposed these restrictions as NPD is becoming one hell of a good Bass fishery and given the chance, could overtake Big W. I think I've only caught 2 bass over 50cms in other waterways but have caught at least 15 or 20 over 50cms at NPD.

Fitzy
13-10-2007, 01:21 AM
If anyone wants some light reading, get a hold of the South East Queensland Waterboard Reformation Act & the Water Act. Been a while but there are loopholes there if you look hard enough.