PDA

View Full Version : Barra Records for Impoundments

crab man
10-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Hi all after reading the hot thread favorite impoundment barra lure. i got thinking of records :) , does anybody Know the Dam Records for barra in Monduron , Awoonga , Tinaroo ,Lake lenthals.And i would be really Interested in All fellow aus fishers P.Bs For Barra in the dams they have fished and the lure used.
I once Read that they grow at 3kg a year as well :o so that would mean there sould be bigger one to beat these records THIS YEAR!!
Should Be Interesting Guys
Cheers Craig

NAGG
10-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Proserpine @ 105cm on a Classic 120 ( colour = 67 tiger)14174 The lure is in the top right hand corner .... Nagg

BobbyJ123
11-10-2007, 05:58 AM
Proserpine @ 105cm on a Classic 120 ( colour = 67 tiger)14174 The lure is in the top right hand corner .... Nagg
The dam record is much bigger than that, mate. I have a 119 cm weighed 60 lb and two @ 117cm from there.
Have measured a dead one @ 129 cm.

NAGG
11-10-2007, 07:44 AM
The dam record is much bigger than that, mate. I have a 119 cm weighed 60 lb and two @ 117cm from there.
Have measured a dead one @ 129 cm.

no no no ..... Thats my PB for Proserpine ....:) .... The second part to the thread.
I have no doubt there are Barra swimming around that measure 140cm & would pull the scale down to 90lb+ ....... but is it possible to stop them::) .... Nagg

Peter4
11-10-2007, 07:56 AM
My 98cm PB at Monduran in March 2007 caught on a Predatek Viper in Grey Ghost colouring.

Pete

Poseidon
11-10-2007, 11:28 AM
My one and only from Monduran, a bit over 110cm. Caught on a technicolour slick rig.

Regards Cameron.

crab man
11-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Great stuff guys, boby that 130cm one you measured dead , why did it die ?? cold snap ? i agree nagg so many fish that would have to be just about unstopabe!!! i guess they dont get big for no reason !!!smart dirty fighters!
Iwatched that steve starling video on awoonga yesterday (getting keen foe late nov hehe) and he said that awoonga was around 34 kg record didn't catch the cm lenght, i thought it was a little small ?
Cheers

Peter4
11-10-2007, 12:34 PM
[quote=crab man;696531]Great stuff guys, boby that 130cm one you measured dead , why did it die ??

Old age perhaps?;D

Cam - that is one fat bugger of a barra!:o

nipsta
11-10-2007, 07:38 PM
[quote=crab man;696531]Great stuff guys, boby that 130cm one you measured dead , why did it die ??

Old age perhaps?;D

Cam - that is one fat bugger of a barra!:o

looking good for when we are alll up there after the comp

BobbyJ123
11-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Great stuff guys, boby that 130cm one you measured dead , why did it die ?? cold snap ? i agree nagg so many fish that would have to be just about unstopabe!!! i guess they dont get big for no reason !!!smart dirty fighters!
Iwatched that steve starling video on awoonga yesterday (getting keen foe late nov hehe) and he said that awoonga was around 34 kg record didn't catch the cm lenght, i thought it was a little small ?
Cheers
Not sure, only guessing that the bloke who caught it was so excited that he kept it out of the water for too long. And, it was in January 2006, so no chance of cold. Water temp was 32deg C.

showusyourcods
12-10-2007, 07:40 AM
My biggest at proserpine is 121cm about 65 pounds
they do get bigger the fisheries did electrofishing in tinaroo and found some hundred pounders but there are very close to the end of there life cycle. Now if we could just give them the same gene as a nile perch we would get up to 400 pounders
now that would be a real challenge!

Happy casting

Justin

black_sheep
12-10-2007, 08:55 AM
I caught a few metrey's but nothing close to a record.

What I have heard:

Monduran - Brett (ex Monduran guide) landed a 35kg and saw a 36kg landed on the same day.

Faust - Heard of DPI electrofishing a 150cm girl - not weighed.

Awoonga - heard of a 140cm but never saw photos on a brag mat. Biggest I heard of is from some of the regulars (around 130cm). I'll be there next weekend so hoping to beat my PB.

Tinaroo and current world record on line was by David Powell caught in 1999 and weighed in at 37.85kgs and from memory, was under 130cms (it looked like a barrell though - thick as).

A mate who fishes Tinaroo regularly landed a 135cm about 2 weeks ago. Didn't weigh it but recons it wouldn't have been as heavy as the record - not as thick a fish. Joe will send me down the 'Brag Mat' shot soon so I will post it for anyone who's interested.

Cheers
Navi

RayB
12-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Well if you are after PBs then my best and only barra is a 62cm Barra at Awoonga on a Barra classic. I am heading to the dam for 4 days starting tomorrow for chance to beat my PB. Wish me luck!

cheers
Raymond

TinarooTriumph
12-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Navi,

Dave Powells fish was 120cm... and yes, 37.85kg. Try lifting that!

Would like to see the pic of the 135cm fish. I believe that would be a new length Record for the Dam.

Heres a link for people Interested in Records. These plus about 4 others have come from Tinaroo.

http://www.tinaroobarra.com/barramundi.html

Theo.

crab man
12-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Wow all impressive stuff guys you know what this means .......> pull that 30lbs off your reel and respool it with the 50lbs braid!!!! there bigger one out there !!

Jeremy87
13-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Not my pb, This fish was landed in awoonga last april by the guy sitting down. the size was never properly measured as the fin rays of the tail (black part of tail) hung entirely over the end of the brag mat. estimated to be about 135cm give or take.

Whitto
14-10-2007, 06:33 AM
Not my pb, This fish was landed in awoonga last april by the guy sitting down. the size was never properly measured as the fin rays of the tail (black part of tail) hung entirely over the end of the brag mat. estimated to be about 135cm give or take.:D Gee's no wonder he's sitting down that is a magnificant Barra, I bet he had too have a lay down after that or at least a beer, Beautiful, Cheers Whitto

fish_on
14-10-2007, 09:32 AM
biggest i heard come out of awoonga was early this year or late last year i cant remember but she went 142 or 144 cm one of the two anyway. a mate of mine has pulled a 124 out of monduran

Bad_Bubby
14-10-2007, 12:01 PM
My PB is 123cm from Tinaroo (it weighed in at 30.2kg). At the time I was using a gold classic 120 in 10+. Hope you like the pic!

Dave Powell's 38kg barra from Tinaroo still stands as the biggest recorded barra to my knowledge.

Awoonga
14-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Gee,,,, l only catch little fish.....

bigdanbassman
14-10-2007, 11:14 PM
I seen a bloke bring in this unit, at the monduran comp on saturday, it came in at 130cm. unfortunately it was after 5 oclock so it wasn't included as an entry, he would have won a thousand bucks, catching this baby would have been just as good though.
As you can see in the pics the weighmaster looks dumbfounded as the official scales were screaming for mercy and could not handle the weight of this fish, and would not register weight and the measuring tray was to short. It would have been well over 30 kgs though in my opinion. I think they might have to look at upgraging scales next year. How big are they going to be in another 5-10 years???? exciting stuff. For those of you who are wondering the big girl was released. It made my 94cm look pretty insignificant but I am still happy with that, for now. can't wait to get my arse back there for another trip. I must apolagize for the photography, will try an improve next time.

:o :o :o

black_sheep
16-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks TinarooT.

Joe hasn't sent me a brag mat photo but I certainly don't doubt him for a second as he has caught dozens off 120+barra.

I will post the pics as soon as I get them.

That Monduran monster is huge - was it pulled from the main basin or the sticks???

bigdanbassman
18-10-2007, 07:48 PM
I think it was caught in the sticks, the pics don't do it justice it was truly a big fish.

Dan

LOCKEDUP
19-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Want To See What I Think Is A Record. Check Out The Lake Monduran Web Site, Lake M. It As Far As I Know Was Never Weighed In Or Measured But I Recon It Would Be 140+ And Break The Scales. It Was Caught Only A Few Weeks Ago. Recon Its A Sign Of A Woppen Future For These Mighty Fish. Let Me Know What U Think.

gladbream
19-10-2007, 06:09 PM
me too trevor (bloddy tiddlers), and i stock the bloody lake. nah got some nice ones (6) out at awoonga on tuesday night with the smallest stretching the brag mat to 116cm and the biggest to 122.7cm. i dont quite qualify for you regular guys record books yet. a couple stretched my slick rig hooks just about dead straight. oh well hopefully bash a few more this week and replace 200,000 more in the next fortnight.

cheers

vet
22-10-2007, 02:30 PM
to gladbream, if you need a hand getting those barra spread out over the lake, I'm only too pleased to help out. Give us a call or a pm if you want help. cheers scott.

crab man
22-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Great stuff guys thanks for posting your records keep them coming !!! im not even gunna put my pb on here ....... you alll will think its a live bait!!!!!

bigdanbassman
22-10-2007, 05:29 PM
This one must be close to being a record!!!!:o :o :o

LOCKEDUP
22-10-2007, 06:00 PM
DAM STRAIGHT, THATS THE BIG GIRL OFF THE LAKE MONDURAN WEB SITE I'VE BEEN TALKIN ABOUT. RECON ITS THAT BIG YA NEARLY MISTAKE IT FOR A VERY LOST NILE PERCH. SHES A TRUE MONDURAN MONSTER! :o

gladbream
22-10-2007, 07:16 PM
holy shyt wehere did ya get that one bigdan. thats huge.

bigdanbassman
22-10-2007, 10:10 PM
holy shyt wehere did ya get that one bigdan. thats huge.

unfortunately its not a fish I caught gladbream, as much as I would like to take credit for catching this Animal, but I can confirm it was caught at Monduran approx 3-4 weeks ago, in the sticks , certainly a trophy size fish by anyones standards.

Dan

Barraboss
22-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Black_Sheep and TT,

I saw the pics of Joe's fish from Tinaroo and its pretty massive. Dam impressive stuff (pardon the pun). Overhangs the brag mat and is a healthy looking fish.

Matt

TinarooTriumph
25-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Navi and Matt,

Think I saw a pic of Joe's fish yesterday arvo in Atherton Bait 'n Tackle. Was next to a pic of a solid Jack caught in the Dam about 2 weeks ago. Im guessing it's Joe's fish as Darryl (shop owner) said it was caught by a bloke called Joseph not long back. Bloody nice fish... but 135? It was a portrait pic of him holding the fish vertically (wouldnt of done it any good!) so got a good look at it, but I put a question mark next to it! :D Never the less many fish of that size are caught yearly at the Dam... only problem is that many of them are killed and get thrown up the bank. Sad, but true.

Cheers

Theo.