PDA

View Full Version : Boat down, life lost at Smithton

blaze
09-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Tassie Lost a deckie today off a 6m pro abalone boat at smithton today. The ab diver survived. Havnt seen any details yet other than they were from the south of the state and the boat went down last night. Hyperphermia would no doubt played a part.
blaze

Timmy94
09-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Dam, Not good.

bugman
09-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Blaze,

I know the weather had been really crap when I left - was it still that way?.

I was up at Temma recently and watched the pro guys put to sea in a 5m runabout off the beach to ab the surrounding headland.

It was a great day the day we were there but was thinking all the while that these guys must have the wits frightened out of them for half their working lifes down there.

Very sad.

Brett

blaze
09-10-2007, 07:40 PM
I took some vidio today to bring up so people can have a look at some of our ramps etc, I havnt seen it so flat for along time, like a mirror. Yesterday morning was a fine day with flat seas (was doing a job overlooking rocky cape), wind did come up a little in the afternoon but I dont think there would have been much of a sea but it also dosnt take much when the wind and tide apose each other around the islands. So to answer the question, dont really know as I wasnt out.
blaze

snelly1971
09-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Hi Blaze...One of my buddies was diving up there near them...

Mick

Tropicaltrout
09-10-2007, 09:26 PM
sad news mate those ab boys do it tuff, I know of a few blokes that do it and they deserve every penny they ern, sympathy's to his family and friends.

Regards Nath

bondy99
09-10-2007, 11:33 PM
So sad to hear that, I use to get Abs around Port Stephens NSW and Catherine Hill Bay (NSW) in my younger days for a feed. The only run ins I had was with the odd wobbegong, but those guys down south, have white pointers to contend with (Shivers up my spine) I have respect for those guys. Peter

nigelr
10-10-2007, 06:03 AM
Very sad to hear, Blaze, sincere sympathy to all loved ones and families.
Definitely not an easy way to make a living.
N.

ColacGirl
10-10-2007, 06:26 AM
Always sad to be reminded life is short, and really brings the message home even more so when it happens in your own backyard blaze :-(

Condolences to the young deckies family & friends.

--
Bev

blaze
10-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Hi Blaze...One of my buddies was diving up there near them...

Mick
Hi Mick
Turns out I know the diver from my ANSA days, top bloke and will find it tough to deal with losing his deckie.
It happened in a channel between 2 island where the tide really rips through so with a bit of swell and wind in the wrong direction it gets rough very quick.
blaze

snelly1971
10-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Hi Mick
Turns out I know the diver from my ANSA days, top bloke and will find it tough to deal with losing his deckie.
It happened in a channel between 2 island where the tide really rips through so with a bit of swell and wind in the wrong direction it gets rough very quick.
blaze

Not much i can really say....Does not matter how much experience you have..Things can go wrong so quickly, especially down here..

I have made that point several times on Ausfish...We usually dont get a second chance here ...

Mick

rob tranter
10-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Sad news guy's

The seas play no Favourites

Condolences to the Family of the young fellow.

Rob

snelly1971
13-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Hi Blaze...just got the full story from a fellow diver who was there at the time....they had approx 800 kg of abs in a 15 foot dingy...and this same diver....not sure about the deckie was rescued here out of Strahan in a 27 ? Edencraft last year....

I feel really sorry for the poor old deckies Family....

Mick