PDA

View Full Version : fishing spots on sunshine coast

crowser
09-10-2007, 04:28 PM
hey boys,

just moved up, wondering if I could possible get some tips on some great fishing spots on the coast or just around. Looking for a few flatty, mackerel and crabs.

thx,
crowser

Timmy94
09-10-2007, 05:08 PM
What kind of boat do u have and do you use lures or bait.

crowser
09-10-2007, 06:13 PM
hey man,

i have a quintrex 395 explorer. and I use baits mostly.

cheers,
crowser

Timmy94
09-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Sorry mate but to get mackeral u need to go offshore. The minimum boat for that is a 4.2 deep v and even that is small. I wouldn't go in anything under 4.8 we have a 6.5metre platey. U will be fine to catch flatty's and estuary fish in
Pumicestone Passage (Caloundra)
Mooloolah River (Mooloolabah)
Maroochy River (Maroochydore)
Noosa River (Noosa)

Any of those places will produce some Big Muddies or Sandies atm.
No go for Mackies im afraid but if you go to the mouth of Mooloolah River where the rock walls are people catch good fish and you could have a chance of some Mackies but highly doubt it. More likely for Tailor, Squire and other things.

crowser
09-10-2007, 06:53 PM
cheers for the tip mate,

where bouts u reckon in m'dore or m'bah river?
only been couple of times, got some killer whiting and got bit of tailor at rivermouth.

thx again,
crowser

Timmy94
09-10-2007, 07:51 PM
In mooloolabah try near the mouth around the marina's and trawlers for some monstore bream but be careful in a bit of wind. In maroochydore try the Cod Hole which is under the road bridge and on the North Easter and South Wester side of Chambers Island i have had alot of success with whiting and flathead

rockfisho
09-10-2007, 09:04 PM
I've seen some good mackeral caught in laguna bay/ noosa bay at noosa. It is quite protected in there (except when there is a howling northerly), well worth a shot there. The odd one is also taken off the rocks there aswell.

cheers

Owen

Tropicaltrout
09-10-2007, 09:32 PM
I have seen plenty of your size boats zipping around laguna bay and old woman, be wary of your surounding (weather) mate plenty of tuna and mack's there and some good eating snapper, the Noosa river mouth is fishing really well at the moment for flatties. good luck

artesian
10-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Some tackle stores have a book by a bloke called Billy on fishing the Sunny Coast, title might be something like River to Reef. Not a bad read

Jeremy
10-10-2007, 06:55 AM
your boat will be fine in the bay at Mooloolaba on a good day. Even make it out to the Gneerings and Murphies reef in good weather. Heaps of tuna in the bay at Mooloolaba during summer. Troll pilchards for school and spotted mackerel. You can catch mackerel, cobia, sweetlip, snapper and more at Gneerings and Murphies.

Jeremy

crowser
10-10-2007, 03:44 PM
lots of great info guys thx,

just wonderin since i havnt been here long, wherebouts gneerings and murphies?

cheers,
crowser

bustastu
10-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Exactly right Jeremy, head out to Murphs or Inner Gneerings on a good day and get some good fish. You don't have to limit yourself to the rivers on a good day out there.

Crowser: Murphy's reef is a short trip out from Mooloolaba and the inner / middle and outer gneerings are out from the Maroochydore stretch however you will still have to head out from Mooloolaba. Most fish sites have generic gps spots for these reefs.

The book Sunshine Coast, River to Reef by Bill Johnston is a good read and has heaps of info and GPS spots as a guide to get you started.

Enjoy!

crowser
10-10-2007, 04:10 PM
boys,

just wonderin, the reefs deep or pretty shallow?

thx for the info on the book,
might cyaz out one day

cheers,
crowser

fish_on
10-10-2007, 04:53 PM
go into your local tackle shops too mate. they all should be helpful. just ask and tell em that your only new to area

Ian Persini
10-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Can buy a map from the local shops that is put out by sunmap, I find it the best as it shows some pictures of land that you will see from some of the inshore reefs. On a good day you should be able to get out in m'bah bay and out the front of caloundra if the bar is not breaking. The passage (Caloundra)is good for most fish. 2 weeks ago they were catching school macks just inside the bar

bustastu
11-10-2007, 09:23 AM
Crowser:

Gneerings rise up to 9m (inner), 14m (middle) and 20m (outer) in places.

Murphy's reef ranges from mid 30 meters up to 20 meters.

Another spot for ya could be Cartwright reef straight out the front of the lighthouse.