PDA

View Full Version : crab pot etiquette

muddypete
08-10-2007, 08:52 PM
What is the go when you are crabbing on a regular basis in one area and there are floats on the water (in the area you normally use) that have been there for 2-3 weeks?

I don't as a rule touch others pots but after that period of time have pulled the pots to find no name tags' covered in an inordinate amount of crap and in most cases flattened out
I pulled one last week which had a dead estuary cod and a small female muddy in it?
I usually leave them on the boat ramp or if there is id ring the owner.
My biggest concern is being called a pot thief when I hate the b-----ds (yes i've had a few go missing)
A lot drift with the tide but a few are discards from dickheads who get the heebygeebys as they are coming up to the ram

wags on the water
08-10-2007, 08:57 PM
I'd let fisheries know about it and let them handle it.

VoodooChile78
08-10-2007, 09:06 PM
I agree with Wags...not yours to deal with...last thing you want to be caught doing is pulling someone else's pot when they show up...

oldboot
08-10-2007, 09:51 PM
It is an ofence it leave a crab pot in for more than 24 hours without checking it

and

it is an ofence to interfeer with fishing equipment that isnt yours.

so the appropriate thing to do is report it.

If fisheries instruct you to remove it ( do they do that) you are under direction of an officer of the crown.

cheers

Nowhere Bob
11-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Um, Oldboot, which Fishing Regs are you reading?
I see no mention of 24hours, or interfeering with others apparatus.

It is an offence to interfere with a commercial fishing operation.

That said, I am not sugesting that anyone touch anyone elses gear under any circumstances. People tend to leap to conclusions & get V' angry.

FYI
Fisheries Regulation 1995
Schedule 8 Recreational fishing—use of fishing apparatus
section 96
Part 1 Crab pots, collapsible traps, dillies and inverted dillies
1 Permitted area
The permitted area comprises all tidal waters.
2 What fish may be taken
Only crabs, other than spanner crabs,95 may be taken.
3 Permitted ways of taking crabs
(1) Crabs may only be taken by using crab pots, collapsible traps, dillies or inverted dillies.
(2) Not more than 4 crab pots, collapsible traps, dillies or inverted dillies alone or in a combination may be used at a time.
4 General condition of taking crabs
A person under 15 must not use a crab pot, collapsible trap, dilly or inverted dilly.
5 Marking of fishing apparatus
(1) A crab pot, collapsible trap, dilly or inverted dilly (crab apparatus) used to take crabs must have a tag with the owner’s surname and address written on it.
(2) Also, if the crab apparatus is not fixed to something while it is in use, the apparatus must have a light coloured float attached to it.
(3) The float must be at least 15 cm in any dimension and have the owner’s name written on it.

95 For spanner crabs, see the Fisheries (Spanner Crab) Management Plan 1999.