PDA

View Full Version : Line or tape???

rando
08-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Why do we put backing on reels loaded with braid.??
If its a question of slippage on the spool, would non slip tape be a better option
...No join, maximum amount of line on the spool.
Or is it the $$$$ for filling with braid.

Flattie Assassin
08-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Yes it's the dollars and just a waste. Most of your line won't see the light of day. So I think alot of us put mono underneath join then fill the rest of the spool with braid. Hope that helps...

FA

Tailortaker
08-10-2007, 03:16 PM
That the story for me, I wont pay for that much braid that will only go to waste although I'd like to hook something that will take nearly all my line.:o ;D
Cheers TT
________
Hawaii marijuana dispensaries (http://hawaii.dispensaries.org/)

Roo
08-10-2007, 04:03 PM
I reckon if your going to fill the spool with braid then why not just use tape. It would avoid one more ugly lump of a knot under the line load.

Plastic_Magic
08-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Hay Mate if you put braid right down to the spool the line can get to tight and crush your spool but if you have mono underneath it acts as a shock absorber and lets the braid get on nice and tight. As braid comes of spool better if its nice and tight.

Cheers Plastic_Magic

tunaticer
08-10-2007, 05:01 PM
i run one wrap of masking tape directly to the alloy spool and then load up with braid fully. You never know when you will need all that capacity and I've put the brakes on with only a few loops left on the spool several times. Been actually spooled three times and that really sucks.

Jack.

rando
08-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Jack
Masking tape ... or eletrical tape????
I am setting up my new Spheros for jigging and I want as much line as i can get on the reel.
I was thinking if there was no good reason for not filling with braid i might use a strip of that non slip rubber matting, instead of tape , stick it down with some silicon.
Do you reacon that would work??
rando

I hate it when that knot starts to interfere with your line feeding out.

Cheech
08-10-2007, 09:23 PM
I think adding silicon and matting would give a better chance of getting more lumps and bumps. Could also have reactions with the braid?

I have seen a few people suggest tape previously, but I just do not get how that will stop slippage to any real extent. Perhaps on really light braid where there are not large forces on it, but not for your 50lb.

I run 2m of mono as backing. Not really backing, more just a connecter. I find it easier to connect the line that way. The backing I use is usually similar or stronger than the braid as if it ever gets down that far I at least get a chance to have a tug of war with the fish. I use to do a double uni on the 2m of backing, but lately have been doing a full bimini braid/leader knot as I do a very small bimini.

As for the knot or mono causing a problem, remember that if you ever get down that far it is peeling straight out from where it sits as the drag is slipping. Point being it is not the same concern with the knot as you would have if you were casting and need a clean smooth line seating.

Cheech

Roo
09-10-2007, 01:29 PM
good point about the knot Cheech. How it would prevent slippage is by providing a soft surface to "grab". it would allow the line to Bite into the tape and stop any slippage. this would be more for preventing full spool slip. once it gets down to the last few metres i reckon you'd be a goner anyway.

Plastic_Magic, I can't see how the braid can crush a spool. If it has Zero stretch then you could assume it also has zero shrink too! Now if you spool up your reel using Mono that you have soaked in water for a while and do it too tight.... I can see how it would shrink when it dries and possibly exert enough force to deform a spool.

Rando, I saw a fella get spooled on a Freebie DVD where the braid ran right to the spool except for a single wrap of what appeared to be tape. Mark Berg was the tool in the DVD and the spooling happend to the skipper of the vessel they were on for a segment on jigging the grounds off perth or freo in WA.

Cheers Roo.

Hardb8
09-10-2007, 07:49 PM
G'day Rando,

Masking tape ... or eletrical tape????

I know guys who use :- Plumbers Thread Seal Tape,And they reckon it does a great job.No sticky residue left on ya spool,And as its soft,The braid tends to bite nicely.

Myself,Straight braid all the way without tape.Been doin it for years and never had any problems with slipage.I must mention that I wind it on real tight,Under heavy pressure,Having to stop about 20-30 times from hand cramps when spooling up 300yds.

I've never actually seen any first hand evidence of a crushed spool.But I've heard the stories.In a heavy line capacity (50lb and up?) I reckon it may be a possibility.

Cheers. B8.;)