PDA

View Full Version : No Tell Tail

Wind_Zone
07-10-2007, 09:12 PM
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

My mate got a new boat / motor only two weeks ago. The motor is a Susuki 100 4 stroke. we went fishing once last week, flushed the motor...no dramas.
Went down the ramp this morning, put her in the water and stated up...no tail tell. We read the manual and it say's if no tail tail appears after 15 seconds then do not attempt to start it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ryan.S
07-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Hornet nest blocking it? Sounds stupid but it happened to me.

Brumby
07-10-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm with Ryan on this one, it can happen - try poking a piece of wire up the tell tale, you'll soon see/feel if there is something blocking it.

Good luck.

plaztix
07-10-2007, 09:31 PM
I'd be heading straight back to the dealer.

FNQCairns
07-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Yeah take it back to the dealer, you are will within the zone when a manufacturing/QC/parts faulure fault will rear it's head if there is one, could just be a blocked tell tail also but take it to the dealers.

cheers fnq

tunaticer
07-10-2007, 09:50 PM
I had a similar problem a yr ago. A small spider made a web in behind the intake grill of the motor. Starting it sucked the web up and it formed a web mesh eventually blocking the port behind the start of the tell tale hose. Unscrewed the hose tail out of the powerhead and there was the spider web blocking the hole.

I couldnt beleive a spider that small to get behind the grill could stop a tell tale from working but obviously it can.

Jack.

dnej
07-10-2007, 09:54 PM
I cop the mud nests from wasps,regularly.I fitted a water pressure gauge ,and then you always know where you stand.Also a great check on the need for a new impeller,if pressure drops over time.
David

indy
08-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Take the tell tail hose of and blow down it no air you no there is crap in your hose, use a bit of wire with a thin piece of rage attached to the end and pull through, i would say if she's all brand new this will be the problem, as stated from the other guys its probably wasps nesting inside it.

tunaticer
08-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Generally on the powerhead the hosetail that the tell tale fits onto is a plastic threaded hosetail. The hole in the threaded end is normally slightly smaller than the hose end due to the fitting being screwed tight into the powerhead. The back side of this fitting can be quite easily blocked and should be removed and checked occasionally. I found the spiderweb in the back of mine and my brothers motor had a small piece of shellgrit partially blocking it from hitting a mud bank.

Jack.