PDA

View Full Version : License for Towing ??

fish-n-dive
07-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Reading this thread of today http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=117645 got me wondering whether there should be an add on endorsement for car licenses given that there are some additional skills needed by any driver when towing a trailer (backing, going down a steep hill, sway correction, etc.) Think of all the newbies at boat ramps!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for over regulation but you must admit that it may be a worthwhile idea.

Timmy94
07-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Very True and they should build a dual lane Training Ramp Somewhere where u take your car and trailer and they assess it for weights etc then you spend a couple of hrs with an instructor for learning to reverse and things and retrieving ure boat then you have to go out for a drive on the public rd and reverse in public boat ramps and launch and retrieve then you get a license. It wont happen any time soon but it would be good.

datamile
07-10-2007, 08:07 PM
So you spent 10 mins in the boat for your boat license, but 2 hrs on trailers ;)

Still a good idea to try to basics, but I guess it depends on your car and the your ramp etc

catfishkid
07-10-2007, 08:12 PM
I am not sure about lisencing but people should learn how to drive/reverse with trailer and its not just boats,think about the local tip on a weekend or the caravans you see swaying all over the highway towed by lasers and little subarus,they all require different skills to tow safely.

Cheers Craig

oldboot
07-10-2007, 10:44 PM
I agree that there should be a trailer endorcement.

I also recon there should be an endorcement for towing people behind a boat.

cheers

finga
08-10-2007, 06:20 AM
You have to have an endorsement to tow a trailer behind a truck. Why not a car???
I've been saying that for years.

Why do you think they have drive through sites now at the caravan parks??
Because a lot of people can't go backwards.....