PDA

View Full Version : Last Radio Course for this year Sat 24th Nov

subzero
07-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Hi all, this is almost certainly the last course I will be running until February so don't leave it until the last minute as their may not be room. Please also note that this course starts 30 minutes earlier than usual as I have an engagement party to attend that night.

Cheers Lloyd

MROVCP and MROCP Course and Test

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
Please read the information below thoroughly, it should cover any questions that you may have

Date: Saturday 24th November

Venue:
My home at 71 Chatswood Road, Daisy Hill, Qld 4127

Start time:
8.00am, finishes at approx 4.30pm. (This includes the time taken to sit for your Certificate/License)

Costs:
There are now 2 Marine Radio handbook’s of which to choose from! Both are optional and if you require one you will need to let me know in advance so that I have adequate supplies on hand. Their may be spares on hand but I cannot guarantee their availability unless ordered 2 weeks prior to the course

Either the
• VHF/MF/HF MROCP Handbook $30
Or
• VHF only MROVCP Handbook $20

Office of Maritime Communications test fee $48.20
(I don’t have small change; unless you are paying the O.M.C direct for this fee or have the correct money then it will be increased to $50-00 for my convenience)

Course Fee: $20. This covers the expense of the Tea/Coffee/Milo, biscuits etc as well as the replacement of the bulb in the overhead projector as well as other incidentals. (Lunch is not provided but there are several shops less than 3 minutes away)

This course fee is waived if you are either an active member of VMR Victoria Point or a member of VMR Victoria Points Waterside Assist Club. (It is not waived if you are a member somewhere else)

For those whom may wish to join our Waterside Assist program go to http://www.vmr.org.au/watersideassist.html

You can join and pay online saving the cost of the course fee and gain other valuable services as well

All up the total cost without purchasing the Marine Radio Operators Handbook will be $70, ($68.20 if you have the correct money and don’t require either of the handbooks)

Session Times: All session times are an approximate guide only
• 8.00am. Introduction, Session’s 1 and 2 completed by 12-00pm
• Sessions 3 and 4 will resume at 12.30pm and conclude at 3.00pm
• Quick refresher until 3.25pm
• OMC Test begins at 3.30pm
Morning tea is between sessions 1 and 2 (15 minutes), lunch is 12.00pm until 12.30pm (30 minutes). Their will be short breaks of about 5-10 minutes between all other sessions

• Session 1 covers
Ship station operator’s qualifications, use of ship radio stations (licensing), types of communication stations, general operating information, radio communication procedures, routine calling & replying procedures, monitoring frequencies and the phonetic alphabet
• Session 2 covers
Priority calls, alarm signals, distress communications, urgency & safety signals, digital selective calling and VHF auto sea-phone
• Session 3 covers
EPIRB’s (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon), general information 121.5/243 MHz EPIRB’s, 406 MHz EPIRB’s, care & maintenance of EPIRB’s, search and rescue transponders (S.A.R.T.S) and search & rescue in Australia
• Session 4 covers
Types of marine radio, radio propagation, parts of marine radio equipment, transceiver controls, general care and maintenance of radio equipment, care and maintenance of lead acid batteries and faults on marine radio equipment
• Session 5 covers
Refresher via quick fire aural question and voluntary answers
• Session 6 is the test
There are no longer two separate multi-choice sections. The OMC/ACMA still require that a minimum of 70% be attained in either test to receive your license/certificate.
For the restricted MROVCP there are now only 25 multi-choice questions. (Previously there were 30)
For the unrestricted MROCP there are still 50 multi-choice questions

I ALWAYS RECOMMEND that if there is the possibility your circumstances’ may change in the future and you have intentions of only sitting the VHF, MROVCP that you may wish to sit for the higher accreditation, MROCP. There is NO UPGRADE test that you can sit later. I also consider that the higher accreditation is easier to pass!

What I will need to know from you is:
• Whom you are?
• Which test you wish to sit for, either the restricted to VHF only MROVCP or the unrestricted MROCP?
The MROCP includes MF/HF Radio and is required for anyone intending to use a radio on any commercial vessel such as DPI, Water Police, ferry’s, ships or even a person considering joining a rescue group as a volunteer
• Wether or not you wish to purchase the Marine Radio Operators
Handbook and if so which one?
• Wether you are one of our Waterside Assist or Active Members and are therefore not required paying the $20 course fee?
• On the day YOU WILL NEED TO PROVIDE ME WITH a passport sized photo of yourself. This is sent away to the O.M.C with your completed test papers for marking. Failure to provide a photo may cause delays in you getting your results

Payment:
Payment does not have to be made until the day, cash payment is preferred but you may also pay by cheque.
If you wish to pay prior to the day you can do so by using PayPal through our website and selecting the Services Rendered icon. http://www.vmr.org.au/payments.html
I will get auto notification of any payment received. If the Credit Card name differs from your name you will need to email me to let me know whom and what the payment was made for

This course is held outside in my covered entertainment area. If the weather is either cold or hot, please dress appropriately.

The courses I run are very informal; your favourite fishing clothing is just fine!

Kind Regards
Lloyd

Lloyd Finn
71 Chatswood Road
Daisy Hill
Queensland, 4127
Australia

Home (07) 32083600 Evenings
lloyd@vmr.org.au VMR E-mail

oldboot
07-10-2007, 06:46 PM
put me down lloyd.
I go the full ticket.
you hjave the remaining details.

cheers

subzero
08-10-2007, 06:04 AM
Done oldboot :-)
See you on the 24th.

Cheers Lloyd

subzero
23-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Just a gentle reminder, this is now election day so we will be rattling our dags a bit and hopefully will be finished as early as 3.30pm.
Don't forget if you have been keeping an eye on previous courses this one will be starting 30 minutes earlier than normal at 8am.

Cheers Lloyd

mik01
24-10-2007, 08:57 PM
best sign me up Lloyd - will pm you the details

cheers,

Mick

subzero
25-10-2007, 05:44 AM
Have sent you a reply to your pm and booked you in Mick.
Cheers Lloyd

Almako
10-11-2007, 09:12 AM
i'm keen
i've sent you my details
cheers al

subzero
11-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Gidday Almako, I have booked you in and replied to your email.
See you on the 24that 8am :-)
Cheers Lloyd

subzero
13-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Thats it folks.
I have ordered in the test papers so unless their is a cancellation, I cant take any more people. 16 people, nice sized course.

Cheers Lloyd

oldboot
23-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Due to contracting some sort of throat lurgey, I am forced to pull out of tomorrows radio course.

Any body wanting my place should contact subzero.

I'm not badly crook.... I just dont want to give it to all and sundry at the course.

cheers

vector
24-11-2007, 07:54 AM
is this course recognised nationally?

subzero
11-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Just a quick note to congratulate all those whom attended the course and test, you all passed, most with very good marks :-)

Well done to you all, remember to log on AND OFF with your local rescue group when heading in or out.... gives us all something to do....

vector, sorry mate.... missed your post somehow and have only just seen it.

The course is run by and on behalf of VMR Victoria Point for whom I volunteer my time to run these for, once having been an active member. VMR Victoria Point is a registered RTO. I am a VETEC approved Trainer/Assessor although the assessment is not done by myself but by the O.M.C.
The tests are written,set and marked by the O.M.C (Office Of Maritime Communications) on behalf of the A.C.M.A (Australian Communications and Media Authority) for whom I am an approved Invigilator (A flash word for a person whom is authorized to oversee the sitting of the test and the handling of those papers).

Upon successful completion of the test and the attainment of a minimum of 70% correct answers from the multiple choice questions the candidate will be issued with their lifetime certificate (which I refer to as a license as that is in reality what it is in my opinion), which is an internationally recognized and accepted accreditation.

Lastly, it is NOT A REQUIREMENT to attend a course, if you are confident and competent you can book to just sit the test..... it just makes it a lot easier to pass if you have the time to sit through a course but more importantly from my perspective it gives boaters the confidence to use their radios when and if the need arises.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers Lloyd

mik01
12-12-2007, 08:53 AM
gday Lloyd - just got the letter yesterday saying I passed ;D

seems they have run out of id cards!, so still have to wait for that but have already applied for my mmsi. (they did photocopy a dummy license for me to use)

big thanks for your hospitality on the day - you did a great job and I'm sure all who attended on the day would have passed.

thanks mate,
Mick