PDA

View Full Version : rod reel combo enough for awwonga?

bundopeace
07-10-2007, 11:16 AM
hi guys,

i have a loomis rod CR722 rated 8- 14lbs. and a calcutta spooled with 50lbs jigman braid.

would this be sufficient for barra at awoonga...

i am more concerned abt my rod's ability... wat are your thoughts?

showusyourcods
07-10-2007, 12:21 PM
The rod is ok, and the line is perfect
when and if you hook a meter plus fish and you are near snags. You can pretty much gaurentee the fish will head for them.
the idea with the 50 pound braid is that when it takes you round the snags, you lighten your drag a bit and wait for the fish to stop fighting. then you have the task of bringing in the fish back through the snags. But don't give up and snap it off.So many time i have had a fish on and snagged me really good but got her in with patients.
Your rod should be ok for casting barra lures.
Justin

bundopeace
07-10-2007, 12:36 PM
thanks justin,

would the rod be to light for turning the barra heading for the sticks?
i am worried abt the rod not being stiff enough to turn the barra..not enough leverage?.

i am still procrastinating if i should spend the money on a heavier wt rod. 10-20lbs... loomis imx cr724...
but if i can be assured that the current one does the job, i can save on the money... wat do u think?

showusyourcods
07-10-2007, 01:31 PM
If you go a bigger rod and more pulling power you will start to straighten hooks, no matter what guage you use.
I always take a spare rod anyway because with these brutes you always have a chance of snapping a rod

eotbmg
07-10-2007, 05:53 PM
The outfit is OK if you are fishing the weed edges but dont go near the timber with it, unless of course you like donating lures. I have a similar loomis and i got a very rude awakening in January 07. Just not enough power to make an impression on a big barra. Goes ok on the 75-80 model but you are after a metery arent you?????????
Good luck
Ben

bundopeace
07-10-2007, 06:20 PM
thanks for that advice ben..... guess the answer is obvious..

eotbmg
07-10-2007, 06:50 PM
I think to myself what if a 130cm jobby takes a liking to my offering-a once in a lifetime fish-i want to be armed and ready to rock and roll when it does happen. If the little ones come in quicker on that gear the chance of survival are heightened. so you win in both cases. Upgrade the rod and also upgrade your terminals and you should be [hopefully] ok.
Ben

NAGG
07-10-2007, 07:57 PM
thanks justin,

would the rod be to light for turning the barra heading for the sticks?
i am worried abt the rod not being stiff enough to turn the barra..not enough leverage?.

i am still procrastinating if i should spend the money on a heavier wt rod. 10-20lbs... loomis imx cr724...
but if i can be assured that the current one does the job, i can save on the money... wat do u think?

The rod should be OK in all situations bar the timber on a big fish ...... If you do hook a biggun , Its thumbs down on the spool & keep the rod tip low ( dont high stick it .... & specially if you have the fish near to the boat!
Now ..... go out & buy that new toy;) ... Nagg