PDA

View Full Version : New 5.5 mtr Formosa C/Con.

Garth
07-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Finally after a long wait we have been able to wet our new boat. It’s a Formosa 5.5mtr. centre console pushed along by a 140hp Suzuki four stroke. I’ve been able to get out a few times over the last 2 weeks and I’m so impressed with the boats performance and the ease of the launch and retrieve. There’s not many Formosa’s up here in the Whitsundays, however it won’t take long before we see a few more…….in my opinion they are great value for money!! I’d like to hear from other Formosa owners and listen to their opinions, thoughts and experiences. Garth.

Timmy94
07-10-2007, 09:38 AM
I saw a Formosa at the ramp the other day. It was a 4.3 i think and it was pushed by a 60 Yam 2stroke. It took off before us and bloody hell this thing was wild in a 20knt wind. We were just going crabbing in our tinnie and this thing was going out into the bay from Bribie and probably round to the surf side. It was awesome. We wouldnt go offshore in 20knt winds even in our 6.5 metre Platey.

krazyfisher
07-10-2007, 10:17 AM
I was looking at a 5.5 1/2 cab the other day at the mackay ramp. very nice looking boat and the center cab looks great. would like to see what they ride like.

KAGEY1
07-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Krazyfisher, Nice To See A Few More Mackay Fishos On The Site.
My 550 C/console Formosa Should Be Arriving Early Dec!
If You'd Like To Have A Look, Give Me A Yell, Pm Etc, Cheers, Geoff

Garth
07-10-2007, 01:03 PM
G'day Geoff,....Are you getting your Formosa from Brisbane or Sarina? What motor and did you order it with any extras. Garth

mirage
07-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Should fairly well fly with a 140 on it Garth!

Garth
07-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah...I'm not really a speed freak, but it's good to know the power is there if I need it.

KAGEY1
07-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Garth, Got It From Sarina. 115 E-tec Coming From Jg's In Mackay.
We Dive As Well As Fish, So It Gets L/bait Tank, Livewell, Plumbed, Transom Door, Rear 3/4 Lounge, Bigger Anchor Well, Deluxe Console, Hydraulic Steer, Tandem Swiftco Trailer.
Should Do The Job. What About Yours?

KAGEY1
07-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Jeez Garth, Just Noticed The Post On The 140! Not Bl**dy Dragging You!!!
Lol!

Mad-One
08-10-2007, 06:17 AM
Congrat's on the new boat you should be more than happy with it. I'm like Kagey i've just ordered my 5.5 Centre cab and won't get it till about Dec but can't wait.
Enjoy your new toy

Mad

krazyfisher
08-10-2007, 11:14 AM
yep would be keen to see it when you get it

notsa
08-10-2007, 09:37 PM
I picked up my new Formosa 5.2 c/c with a 90 e-tec ( hope I made the right choice) on Thursday and on Friday I took my wife and 2 year old Grandson for a trip around Moreton Bay. I only took it up to about 3000rpm as it was a bit windy and rough and it was our Grandsons first time in a boat. I love the boat and they are well made and very strong.When we got home that day I noticed that the boat had slipped to one side on the trailer, I don`t think the skids were placed in the right place so I am going to make some changes.I have heard different ideas of how to set the rollers and skids up( from Boat Yards) one said the rollers take all the weight and the skids balance the boat and another said the skids take all the weight and the rollers are only for loading the Boat.Another thing that I noticed is that I can`t lift the trailer off the tow ball without using the jocky wheel it is just to heavy so I was just thinking if the wheels were in the right position. It would be great if someone could give me the right information on the correct setup. Thanke for any replys. Charlie.

Wear the fox hat
08-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Notsa,
"the rollers take all the weight and the skids balance the boat" is correct.

Also, the wheels on the trailer will be in the right place. If you could lift the trailer off the towball with a 5.2m boat, this would be incorrect & also means when you get into the back of the boat when it is off the towball it would tip backwards.

Hope this helps.

WTFH

KAGEY1
08-10-2007, 10:35 PM
We'll Have To Start A Special Formosa Owner's Club! Seems To Be A Few Out There. Lol

Mad-One
09-10-2007, 06:48 AM
Start an annual Formosa M & G

boodo
09-10-2007, 06:32 PM
I have a 5.2 centre consol with a 90 etec and i am still stoked with the set up i have had it since feb and have 50hrs on the clock, this is my 4th boat and i dont think i will be changing it in a hurry, performance and value for money are second to none :D :D

KAGEY1
09-10-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm With Mad. An Annual M&g For Formosa's. Let's See How Many More We Can Find.
Cheers, Geoff

Black_Rat
09-10-2007, 08:43 PM
I own a 2004 5.2m C/C and like the idea of owning a centre cab 5.5m powered by a 140hp Suzie ;D But not just yet, I just bought a house and need to get ahead on that first ;D before I look at upgrading ::)

KAGEY1
09-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Black Rat, What's On The Back Of Your 5.2?

Black_Rat
09-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Black Rat, What's On The Back Of Your 5.2?

I've got a 90 Merc 2 strk which was the biggest motor allowable at the time & upgraded to a 115ltr tank. I had the option for an 80hp Yammie 4 strk but couldn't justify the extra cost.

KAGEY1
09-10-2007, 10:20 PM
What Sort Of Top End Do You Get? Mine Is Having The Upgrade To 150l Tank For A Bit Of Extra Range. The Two Stroke Must Get You Out Of The Hole Better Though?
Cheers, Geoff

Black_Rat
09-10-2007, 11:35 PM
What Sort Of Top End Do You Get? Mine Is Having The Upgrade To 150l Tank For A Bit Of Extra Range. The Two Stroke Must Get You Out Of The Hole Better Though?
Cheers, Geoff

Geoff,

At 5700 RPM WOT I get 65klms/hr (and screaming) ;D with 2 on board and fishing gear (via GPS)

With an ETEC 115 and with a 150ltr tank on a 5.5m range shouldn't be an issue ;D

Holeshot is another debate :-X ;D

Smailesy
10-10-2007, 03:52 PM
We'll Have To Start A Special Formosa Owner's Club! Seems To Be A Few Out There. Lol
i pick my c/cab up in around 20 sleeps but who is counting

KAGEY1
10-10-2007, 10:00 PM
strewth! a lot of sleepless nights coming up. just got a call from the dealer. should be here end of month! woohoo!!!

Garth
13-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Sorry I haven’t answered your question before this Geoff, but work commitments have been eating into my Ausfish time.
I got my Formosa through Qld. Powerboats on the Gold Coast. I did a fair bit of research on the boats and pricing through the suppliers from the Gold Coast to Mission Beach.
Qld. Powerboats came up with the best price including delivery to Proserpine and the quality of their customer service was brilliant.
I didn’t go too berserk with extras but I ended up with a bimini top, plumbed live bait tank under a rear baitboard, a kill tank, hydraulic steering and a fully rollered swiftco trailer. I’ve just fitted a Furuno 620 sounder and will be getting a Raymarine 435i GPS from America soon.
The idea of a Formosa Meet and Greet sounds good……count me in.
Garth

beejay1947
13-10-2007, 10:29 PM
G'day Garth. I was interested to read that you had your new rig delivered from the Gold Coast to Proserpine.
Would you be prepared to divulge the approx cost, method of transport, and the logistics of unloading at your end?
The reason for my asking is that I live in Townsville, and the advertised prices of boats "down south" in many instances seem to be much cheaper than here.
It would be interesting to compare prices after approx freight costs are included.
The other intangible of course would be the distance from the dealer once the boat is delivered.
Hope you get many years of enjoyment out of your new rig.

Bruce

Garth
14-10-2007, 08:54 AM
G'day Bruce....I'll send you a PM with prices. The guys from Qld. Powerboats arranged pick up from down there and delivery to the closest transport company to where i live in Proserpine, ( about 1 k away), they unloaded it and I collected it the same day.....easy.

KAGEY1
15-10-2007, 08:14 PM
G'day Garth,busy Here Too. I Found That The Local Dealer Could Do Pretty Much What They Did On The Coast. Plus If I Do Get A Problem It's Only A 1/2 Hour Drive Away. I Always Like Dealing Local As Long As You Get The Service. Plus I Can Be There During Final Fitout To Make Sure It's How I Want It.
Cheers, Geoff