PDA

View Full Version : Shark Cat 5m Sportsman, or 5.2 Cuddy

Vitamin Sea
06-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Hello all

Looking for some feedback from the Cat enthusiasts amongst us ( Grand Marlin, Kerry? )

I am CONSIDERING selling the 19C Haines to buy a more fishing oriented boat, the wife, young fella and myself rarely do overnighters anymore, seems like a bit of a waste.

I am considering a smaller cat, I cannot afford a KC, but maybe one of the above, not to many $$ change over.

Honest opinions, what are the smaller ones like? I have read the 16' SC's were not that spectacular, with a habit of taking water over the front, the 5.2's built by ( noosa cat ) are supposed to have fixed the problem, is that true?

Would they give a compareable ride to the 19C

Thanks

Bill

Appreciate any feed back

Dean1
06-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Ive never been in a 19c but you wouldnt be dissapointed with a 18ft sharkcat if you can find one with good motors. I owned a 5.5 sharkcat and loved it, have never been in a 5 metre but i reckon theyd be a great boat too. You will still pay a few$$$ for the noosacat 5.2 i wouldnt recommend a 93, 94 model noosacat coz i heard there sponsons were too fine which caused them too bury a bit. Grand marlin may be selling a 18ft cat soon, he'd be able to steer you in the right direction. Mate you will love the stability that only a cat will give and the soft ride, i wouldnt trade my 5.2 kc for anything. Cant beat a twin hull mate, your thinking very wisely ;) I will never go back to a mono...

Blackened
06-10-2007, 11:11 PM
G'day

Bill, good move, Wait to speak with grand marlin, he knows where the good value cats lie.

Dave

Vitamin Sea
07-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Thanks Dean, Dave

The big question to me is the motor's, Dave, as you well know have just put on the brand new 200 Opti ( 50 hrs on it ), it's the first time in all the boats I've had that I've got a new one and I like it.

Love the 19C, it's a great boat, in excellent condition for her age, that's got me home safely in some less than desirable conditions.

Dean, beautiful rig you have there, I could only wish! ( PS: don't mention sponson's around Grand Marlin ;D )

Cheers

Bill

Noelm
07-10-2007, 08:36 AM
hhmmm shame you did not want to go a tad bigger, I am thinking of swapping my 6 metre cat for something different. and after owning a Cat you will be more than happy, the old 18' was a very easy cat to drive and very forgiving, but good ones are getting scarce now.

Grand_Marlin
07-10-2007, 09:08 AM
( PS: don't mention sponson's around Grand Marlin ;D )

Cheers

Bill

Ummm ... that was Kerry ....

Either of the boats you are considering will be good.
The 500 Sportsman (5m) is a really fun boat to drive.
It has all the Sharkcat safety features - Self draining decks, twin motors, twin fuel and batteries, several individual sealed hull sections.
Because you stand so far forward in the nose of the boat, they do have a liking of dipping their nose at slow speed and throwing the wave straight across the top of the boat like a big shovel.
They are a very stable boat and very soft riding underway.
They arent as good as the 560 Sportsman, but they are a lot more economical.
A 500 Sportsman will go just under 2 tonne on trailer.

The 5.2 Noosacat's were, and in my opinion still are a "flighty" boat, due to the increased tunnel height / deeper sponsons.
They are good performers, but tend to walk a lot and dont feel as solid underway as the 500 Sportsman.
They have a similar softness in ride to the 500 Sportsman, but the 5.2 doesnt suffer from bad tunnel slap like the smaller sharkcat.
Not sure of the weight on trailer.

The 560 Sportsman (18ft) is in my opinion an awesome boat.
We had one out yesterday around the tip of Bribir playing in the 15 - 20 knot Nor Easter.
This boat was
I havent found any size monohull that will outperform this cat.
Even the 680 Haines wont touch them.
Downfalls are towing weights (2.3 tonne) and fuel usage with big 2 strokes.

The smaller cats will have a superior ride and better stability than your V19, but if you are really happy with the V19 - why not stay with it?
They are an excellent sea boat, you have a good motor and they have plenty of deck space.

Cheers

Pete

Vitamin Sea
07-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Ummm ... that was Kerry ....

Either of the boats you are considering will be good.
The 500 Sportsman (5m) is a really fun boat to drive.
It has all the Sharkcat safety features - Self draining decks, twin motors, twin fuel and batteries, several individual sealed hull sections.
Because you stand so far forward in the nose of the boat, they do have a liking of dipping their nose at slow speed and throwing the wave straight across the top of the boat like a big shovel.
They are a very stable boat and very soft riding underway.
They arent as good as the 560 Sportsman, but they are a lot more economical.
A 500 Sportsman will go just under 2 tonne on trailer.

The 5.2 Noosacat's were, and in my opinion still are a "flighty" boat, due to the increased tunnel height / deeper sponsons.
They are good performers, but tend to walk a lot and dont feel as solid underway as the 500 Sportsman.
They have a similar softness in ride to the 500 Sportsman, but the 5.2 doesnt suffer from bad tunnel slap like the smaller sharkcat.
Not sure of the weight on trailer.

The 560 Sportsman (18ft) is in my opinion an awesome boat.
We had one out yesterday around the tip of Bribir playing in the 15 - 20 knot Nor Easter.
This boat was
I havent found any size monohull that will outperform this cat.
Even the 680 Haines wont touch them.
Downfalls are towing weights (2.3 tonne) and fuel usage with big 2 strokes.

The smaller cats will have a superior ride and better stability than your V19, but if you are really happy with the V19 - why not stay with it?
They are an excellent sea boat, you have a good motor and they have plenty of deck space.

Cheers

Pete

Pete

What sort of bucks would you pay for the 560 in decent nick with good motors on them?

I notice there is a 5m sportsman for sale up at Noosa, I think 28 K is on it, would you consider that reasonable?

The water coming over the front sounds like the VC shuffle;D

Sponsons, I knew it was one of you blokes.:)

As I have mentioned, wouldn't mind a more dedicated fishing boat

Any assistance would be appreciated

Thanks

Bill

Vitamin Sea
07-10-2007, 10:13 AM
hhmmm shame you did not want to go a tad bigger, I am thinking of swapping my 6 metre cat for something different. and after owning a Cat you will be more than happy, the old 18' was a very easy cat to drive and very forgiving, but good ones are getting scarce now.

Noelm

What do you have and what sort of money would you be looking at?

PM if you prefer

Thanks

Bill

Grand_Marlin
07-10-2007, 10:18 AM
The 560 Sportsman with the lockup cab are rare as rocking horse poo - especially ones in good condition.
There are tons of the old 18ft Sharkcats around (mainly distinguished by the high one piece windscreen) ... same hull as the 560, but driving position is a lot further forward - hence how they get the droopy nose comment because of weight distribution.

There was a 560 on Boatpoint (but it has sold) for $21,500 - looked ok in pics, but I dont know the condition or hours on the motor. It also never had a canopy or much gear with it.

For a good one with say mid 90's motors you will pay mid - high twenties.

The better condition the boat / trailer, the later model the motors and extra accessories you get will push the price higher.

One in really good nick with late model motors and good electronics will put you in the mid 30's.

Cheers

Pete

Vitamin Sea
07-10-2007, 11:50 AM
The 560 Sportsman with the lockup cab are rare as rocking horse poo - especially ones in good condition.
There are tons of the old 18ft Sharkcats around (mainly distinguished by the high one piece windscreen) ... same hull as the 560, but driving position is a lot further forward - hence how they get the droopy nose comment because of weight distribution.

There was a 560 on Boatpoint (but it has sold) for $21,500 - looked ok in pics, but I dont know the condition or hours on the motor. It also never had a canopy or much gear with it.

For a good one with say mid 90's motors you will pay mid - high twenties.

The better condition the boat / trailer, the later model the motors and extra accessories you get will push the price higher.

One in really good nick with late model motors and good electronics will put you in the mid 30's.

Cheers

Pete

So Pete

This is the traditional 18' Cat?,

I'm trying to find a pic of the 560 Sportsman

Thanks again
http://proxy.tcimages.net/DisplayImage.aspx?PD=17125153&S=ISS

jimbo59
07-10-2007, 07:12 PM
This is my cat i think its a 560 does anyone know how old it is.It goes ok with the 70 zuks i feel as though it goes better when its a bit rougher.

jimbo59
07-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Ive made a couple of boxes to put the reelax seats on and one box has a little hatch to put wallets and stuff and the other one has a tackle storage from riviera boats a factory second that was cheap All up the rig owes me about $21.500.For those people who dont remember this is the one that flipped over on the s/passage bar.

Grand_Marlin
07-10-2007, 07:47 PM
G'day Jimbo,

Yep thats the 560 Sportsman.
The 560 series had the 3 piece screen, not the one piece.
They also have the lock up cabin with fore / aft bunks.

There is also a 560 Fisherman model that has just a storage area behind the helm (no cabin)

Do you have any before shots of the fixup?

Cheers

Pete

goblues
07-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Hey Jimbo any chance of a few more pics like inside and stuff as I have a similar boat with 2x120hp evinrudes on it,but going from what Grand Marlin posted I have the Fishermans model.

Dean1
07-10-2007, 11:16 PM
Well ive never heard of a 560 'sportsman' ive only ever seen a 5m sportsman and they hav 5 clinker sides. Look at the hull, the 560 have 6 clinker sides and the sportman'5 metre ' have 5. The 560 is the origanal 18ft sharkcat, the sportsman is a 17ft sharkcat. Jimbo bloody nice 18ft cat mate, howd u get it so cheap with the new suzuki's on it??? Jimbo yours is roughly an 85-90 model hull. Its tidy, it'd love the rough stuff ;) 92 was the last of the clinker side 18ft cats, they made a few with pods with no wells, there rare, but they do occasionally come up 4 sale. I remember a 680 cruisecraft trying to keep up with my 18ft cat while heading out to the banks in a 20knot 1.5 metre sea, he couldnt even come close to me, i seen him the next day at the kawana ramp and he told me how astounded he was with the ride i was getting. He was pretty shattered actually as he'd just bought it brand new and paid something like 3 times what my cat owed me :-/

jimbo59
08-10-2007, 06:32 AM
The ride is very good,infact better than a haines formula the 70 hp suzukis would be just on the lower limit for hp.It still gets up and go's very well.I was in some rough stuff the other weekend and it loved to go faster,i trimed it up a bit and got some more speed out of it,im still getting used to it.The haines was a great boat but when it gets sloppy(like at the shingles at s/passage bar)The sharkcat will exel.Iwill put some photos of the interior and some before the fix-up.The way how fuel is going to skyrocket this boat will be still viable when that time comes.It used 48 litres total for a trip from manly to peel and a bit of mucking around and return on a sloppy day.:) jim

Grand_Marlin
08-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Yeah, sorry, I re read my post - I have created a bit of confusion.

The 560 Sportsman was first made in 1985 (I had the first one ever built)
They changed from calling it an 18ft Sharkcat to calling it the 560 Series Sharkcat... I dont know exactly when, but I am think it was early eighties when this happened.

The original 18 ft Sharkcat had Flat sponsons.
They later changed them to the same shape s Jimbo's Cat.

Noosacat took over in 1990.

I am unsure of how many boats they built out of the original 5.0m & 5.6m Sharkcat moulds before they launched the 520 Noosacat in 1994.
From what I know it wasn't many - mainly the bigger 23ft Sharkcats for Commercial use.
In the 90's we were still in the recession we had to have, so the last thing people wanted was a fuel inneficient hull that needed two big 2 stroke outboards to push it. (remember 4 strokes weren't around then)
They also built a diesel powered 23 footer and a Kevla 560 in the late eighties for combatting the fuel problem.

I welcome any extra info on the history / time line of who owned the Sharkcat company / when / and what models / changes they made.
I would love to put a complete timeline together.

Cheers

Pete

Grand_Marlin
08-10-2007, 07:22 AM
This is my 560 Sportsman ... the first one ever built for the 1985 Gold Coast Boat Show.

Grand_Marlin
08-10-2007, 07:31 AM
This is my brothers 500 Sportsman

Grand_Marlin
08-10-2007, 07:39 AM
This is interesting for defining the models.
This is the last of the 560 Sharkcats built with the original 18 footer top deck.
Notice how much bigger the cockpit is, and how far forward the driving position is, compared to the newer 560 Sportsman.
This model was the first to have the 3 piece front screen, but notice it was still in silver surround.
The 1985 onward models had the 3 piece black framed screen.
This, and earlier models were described as being droopy in the nose, due to the extra weight being distributed up front (i.e. driver / passenger)
They had a lockup cab, but it was tiny.

jimbo59
08-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Hi pete which hull performs best the one above or the same one as mine.I like the fact that i can sleep in my cat the bunks look to be 6 ft long and there's still plenty of room out the back for fishing. jim

Grand_Marlin
08-10-2007, 07:50 AM
This is the original 18 footer with the one piece front screen

The link that Vitamin Sea put on the first page is also an original 18.

Grand_Marlin
08-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Here is the RebelCat.
A 2ft extension to the 560 hull to make it 20ft
It didnt last on the market very long .. I am lead to believe it was due to legalities of hull mould ownership?

Dean tells me that the Multicat 18 ft was also based on the 560 Sharkcat hull.

Grand_Marlin
08-10-2007, 08:08 AM
This is my other 560 Sportsman
This shows the cabin etc.

Grand_Marlin
08-10-2007, 08:18 AM
G'day Jimbo,

The model you have is by far the best performing hull configuration ever built in the 560 series.

The original 18 footers ambled along like an old St Bernard.

The 560 series built from 1985 onwards had the driving position back further and that made the weight distribution 10 times better.
Your model has an excellent "poise" in the water, and they feel very strong and stable ... more like a pit bull in fighting mode !

Cheers

Pete

Vitamin Sea
08-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks Pete, Jimbo

All very interesting, the 560 does look like a nice boat.

Could one of you fellas please advise me of what the overall width of the rig is on the trailer, before I get to carried away I had better make sure I can store it at home.

Thanks

Bill

Dean1
08-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Hey pete your other 560 looks clean mate. I didnt know that 560's came out in a sportsman model. My 5.5 multicat was built with the original 18 cat mould same as the earlier flatter bottomed sponson model. The cockpit was further toward the rear of the boat and had a huge cab, could sleep 3 easy. It was similar to that rebelcat, gee it rode well, i think it was even softer than my 5.2 kc in certain seas. I always felt so confident in it. The waterline pods makes a difference i think, the 5.2 kc's are really only a 17 footer. Vitamin sea by memory my multicat was 2.3m wide, im pretty sure thats what they all are. My kc is 2.4m wide. Hey pete have you got that big gold beast painted yet???

Grand_Marlin
08-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Not painted yet Dean ... still trying to catch back up on work etc.

Vitamin Sea, if you allowed 2.5m it cant be any wider than that overall including trailer guards.
The 560 is 2.44 beam.

Cheers

Pete

Grunter71
08-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Here is a couple of pictures of mine. 560 Sportsman, built in 1990 by Noosa Cat.

Doesn't have a lock up cabin, although a door could be added if you were keen. Heaps of room in the cabin, sleep 2 adults easily. 3 if the other 2 were blonde, 18 etc.;)

Grand_Marlin
08-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Very nice Grunter,

Have you been in the same model without the pods?

I would be interested to know what the difference is with / without pods.

I know they have heaps more deckroom with the pods.

My brothers 5m has pods, and it has improved the boat ... they are more settled at speed, and not as "jumpy"

Cheers

Pete

Noelm
08-10-2007, 03:15 PM
I looked at that boat just before you bought it, the pods make it a great boat, with the better driving position, but extra room in the boat, they (noosa cat) made only 14 of those with pods, very rare but a good boat, I have had most of the models or at least fished out of them, I now own a Rebel cat the same as the one in the picture (but mine is white) i am currently looking for a centre console 18', but they are also pretty scarce

Grand_Marlin
08-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Have you got the pics Noel?

Cheers

Pete

Vitamin Sea
08-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Have you got the pics Noel?

Cheers

Pete

Ditto Noel

May be interested

Thanks

Bill

Vitamin Sea
08-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Looks good in the water Pete, very nice

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14032&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1191792145 (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14032&d=1191792145)

Cheers

Bill

northernblue
08-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the history lesson boys.
I look forwards to catching up with you guys to learn all about 23's

PS not on the water yet still dicking about with the trailer.

Grunter71
08-10-2007, 08:12 PM
GM, no I haven't had any experience in any other cats. Had a look at a few before we bought that one and you are right, the deck space was noticably smaller without the pods.

Grand_Marlin
08-10-2007, 09:15 PM
The idea of a cat meet & greet has been put forward ... does that sound interesting?

Cheers

Pete

gavsgonefishing
09-10-2007, 04:30 AM
Just a bit of a left field Q, are the fuel filter/water separators mounted on the outside of the transom, or in the sharkcats?

Gav

Grand_Marlin
09-10-2007, 06:15 AM
G'day Gav,

In the 560 it is usually mounted on the front edge of the outboard well, actually in the outboard well.

The 5m has it mounted outside on the transom wall (it has pods like yours)

My 7m with the diesel has a big @ss Racor filter mounted inside the cockpit.

Cheers

Pete

ps have you got the motors on?

gavsgonefishing
09-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Pete,

Thanks for that, I am about to do a bit of a cut and reorganise onthe bait tanks etc to make room for the cabling and hydraulic lines, so I thought I might mount the filters on the outside by drilling, coring then redrilling. Its easier with the guts of the back combing cut out.

Motors soon when the motor bloke has been found. They got to pass the waterline test, which wasnt a prob, give me the gauges and wiring to fit. I would say early next week.

BTW love the history lessons on the sharkcats. The boating industry really has a colourful past, no matter what breed you prefer.

Grand_Marlin
09-10-2007, 07:32 AM
That is true Gav. It is quite amazing how boats and motors have evolved - especially over the last 10 - 15 years.

All the filters I have had mounted outside the boat have been fine.
They dont leak, so water isnt a problem.
I just keep them sprayed with CRC / WD40 to stop any corrosion.

Cheers

Pete

Grand_Marlin
09-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Bill,

Have you any ideas on which way you are going to go?

Cheers

Pete

wadeo
09-10-2007, 07:53 AM
This is a very useful thread boy's well done. My filters are on outside of transom too.I keep the inox up to the stainless filter heads and all is fine. Have learn't alot about sharkcats history thanx to everyone for keeping this thread bu*##**t free. A Cat meet and greet sounds like a top idea . New you'd see the light eventually Bill ;D
regards Wadeo

Noelm
09-10-2007, 07:55 AM
grand marlin and vitamin sea, I am on holidays at the moment and only using a mates computer, when I get back (about the 19th) I will PM you both and get some pictures organised.

Noelm
09-10-2007, 07:57 AM
OH and on the filter issue, my boat has got a full width transom with a sort of cover with doors on it, the filters are in there, easy to get to, but out of sight.

Noelm
09-10-2007, 08:03 AM
indeed the sharkcat history is a long and interesting one, I have been lucky (I guess) to have been to the old Cat factory when Bruce Harris was still building them, and the guy that took over some time later (Jim Anderson) was from my area and I knew him before he ever got into them, worked in 18' for years and 23's as well with huge motors on them (Abb Divers) Harry Carter that had Kevlacat was also from my neck of the woods before moving to QLD we used to dive together before he ever bought kevlacat.

jimbo59
09-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Yeah m&g sounds good pete you bring the piddle and i'll bring the sausages.

oxygen
09-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Bill (Vitamin Sea)
I have an 18ft Sharkcat that I will be selling soon as I've got another project boat on the go. The boats age I suspect is early eighties (one piece screen) on a very good late model trailer (rust free). It currently has 90hp Honda motors( but I may keep the motors, not sure yet ,as I can use them on the new project)
I Had the transom height extended to take extra long shaft motors and the rest of the boat is very neat, built in esk, live bait tank.
Just let me know if you want any more info.

This thread has been very interesting.

oxygen

northernblue
09-10-2007, 06:51 PM
M&G would be fantastic, IF I ever get my shitte together that is.

Pete, it was very interesting when Wadeo let me look over his baby, just how different they are.
Apart from the obvious [mine is twin sterndrive and wadeo is outboards on pods, but original was single diesel]
My cabin is bigger and has a sink [prob not original] the cabin [I suspect] is higher and the windscreen is definatly higher than wadeos.

Vitamin Sea
09-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Bill,

Have you any ideas on which way you are going to go?

Cheers

Pete

Gidday Pete

Have been quiet today, hate it when work interferes with my rec activities;D

It's a big decision, especially selling the 19C ( my boyhood dream boat ) with the new 200 Opti on the back ( missus thinks I've got rocks in my head ), once she's gone, she's gone.............

However

The thought of a new project does interest me ( love playing with boats ) and I stick by what I said re: more dedicated fishing room.

As per your comments and others the 560 sportsman is probably the way to go, overnighting still a possibility, but, I do not want a shi*box, which may the the hard bit.

Also depends on what I can get for the 19C, if I can't get what I want, (or what I think it's worth, won't do anything )

Would be looking for a good hull, price to take into account motors, gear etc, matter of buying right, perhaps you can assist?

Been a very interesting thread, thanks to you and all for participating

Thanks

Bill

Vitamin Sea
09-10-2007, 07:15 PM
This is a very useful thread boy's well done. My filters are on outside of transom too.I keep the inox up to the stainless filter heads and all is fine. Have learn't alot about sharkcats history thanx to everyone for keeping this thread bu*##**t free. A Cat meet and greet sounds like a top idea . New you'd see the light eventually Bill ;D
regards Wadeo

Wadeo me old mate

Might put a bit of sh$t on you fellas but have always liked cats, 2 hulls has got to be better than one;)

Have always looked at cats from the maintenance point of view, IE; double trouble, my ideal would be to buy a decent hull, trailer, at the right price and put on a couple of new Opti's ( 90 ) on the back, may be wishful thinking though, the minister will not be forthcoming with any additional funds apart from proceeds generated from the sale of Vitamin Sea

We will see

Cheers

Bill

Vitamin Sea
09-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Bill (Vitamin Sea)
I have an 18ft Sharkcat that I will be selling soon as I've got another project boat on the go. The boats age I suspect is early eighties (one piece screen) on a very good late model trailer (rust free). It currently has 90hp Honda motors( but I may keep the motors, not sure yet ,as I can use them on the new project)
I Had the transom height extended to take extra long shaft motors and the rest of the boat is very neat, built in esk, live bait tank.
Just let me know if you want any more info.

This thread has been very interesting.

oxygen

Hi Oxy

Sounds interesting, where abouts are you, do you have any pics? may be interested, can you pm me some details?

Cheers

Bill

Dean1
09-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Hey Grunter71 ive been in your boat mate, i went for a test run in it up at kawana im guessing about 7 years ago as i wanted to buy it.. How long ago did you buy it?? I wrote a thread up here about the 1st 18' cat i went in and how well it handled the rough as conditions. I even still have the copy of it for sale on boatpoint i checked the rego numbers on the side and there the same but therte custom stickers now. The reason i didnt buy it was coz the motors seemed very sluggish(doughy) but i always thought later on that maybe it was the props. It had 400 hs on it then and it was advertised as a 92' model. I couldnt believe how well it performed it was like 2 metres 30 knots the guy was a ledgend taking myself and my dad out in those conditions just to prove what they can do. Pete a cat meet sounds good, wadeo gotta get out soon mate, im thinkin maybe the navman again ;) Vitamin sea just go for a run in one of these boats and it will make your mind up for you. I can take you for a blat in my kc even, there similar to sharkcats mate.

oxygen
09-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Bill,
Im at Cleveland, heres some pics

Oxy

Grand_Marlin
09-10-2007, 09:21 PM
G'day Northernblue,

The sink is standard in your boat.
Remember there were several owners of Sharkcat between Bruce Harris and Noosacat.
Each had their own ideas.
You will find the hull shape is the same on the two boats.
Waedo's is the normal cuddy cabin, which was very popular with fishermen / divers.

From what I know, your version was the "rescue" model ... formulated to give maximum deck space as well as plenty of shelter for 4 people and better water shedding ability when crossing bars.
You will see a number of pics of this model (or similar) without any windscreen.

Bill, I havent seen the condition of your boat, and I dont know what gear it has, or condition of trailer.
If everything is in good condition, combined with your new motor, I would think mid - high 20's

Cheers

Pete

wadeo
09-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Gday Pete and Glenn here is a photo of the original decals on my cat before rebuild. Pete what does this represent model wize?
regards Wadeo

Grand_Marlin
10-10-2007, 04:29 AM
G'day Waedo,

Good question.

This is one of the things I would like to find out re: timeline wise.

I know the 700 series Mk2 was the last of the 7m cats made.

BUT

I dont know when the 700 Mk2 was first built, or by who.

My guess would be 1985, when the 560 Sportsman was introduced.
The windscreens etc all look very similar.

I have kindly been offered to be introduced to Bruce Harris, who should hopefully be able to fill in all the gaps.

I am a bit vague on this, but I remember hearing a while ago that the Mk2 had a different top deck / cabin arrangement.

Definitely dont take this as gospel, as I am not sure.

Cheers

Pete

death_ship
10-10-2007, 05:57 AM
Hey fellas, how or why did they come up with the term "cat" to describe these twin hull boats? was it because they are as big and ugly as a bulldozer?:-X

gavsgonefishing
10-10-2007, 06:07 AM
catamaran=twin hulls=cat my guess

nice rig oxygen, did you restore it yourself, or was it done before you got it

Gav

wadeo
10-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Thanks Grand marlin any info is usefull. It has been modified and completley changed since my Cats first innings at being a 700 mk2. It is very hard to find any accurate info on them. Someone should write a book on the history and models of the mighty sharkcat.
regards wadeo

Grunter71
10-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Dean

I bought it off a bloke in Tin Can Bay about 4 years ago. He bought it off the bloke you are referring to. I ran into him at Scarborough not long after we got it.

They shouldn't have been advertising it as a 92 model. Some of the original paperwork has been handed down through the owners and it is signed off as being delivered in February 1990.

I think the motors are adequate, although, I am not a speed demon, but if I repower would definitely put larger ones on.

Finnatical
10-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Grunter,

It looks like a very tidy rig and would be very economical with the Hondas. Those hulls defiantely like a lot of horsepower to get up and fly but I believe are still excellent sea boats with smaller four strokes.

It would certainly be a very good buy for somebody looking to get into a cat. What's your next project?

Jason.

Vitamin Sea
10-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi again

One more question for you guys ( for now ), can you advise what sort of fuel usage you are getting with your different rigs and motor combinations.

Thanks

Dean

Thanks for the offer of a ride mate, may take you up on that

Cheers

Bill

Dean1
10-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Ok Grunter, i think the props may have been rebushed before you bought it coz it just seemed like they werent hooking up properly. I really liked that boat, my dad talked me out of it and i was shattered :) I heard that it got sold down the coast to someone like an organization at straddie or somewhere like that. I think theres a middle man somewhere there. Bill im using roughly a litre per klm. I used about 110 litres on a trip to the northern banks from kawana and back and a bit off running around out there. Ya get what you pay for ;) Better if you had four strokes obviously.

Finnatical
10-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Bill,

My KC2400 uses on average a bit less than 1 litre per klm running twin 140 Suzuki's at 25-27kts depending on conditions. So the smaller four strokes should do quite a bit better than that.

It is a big step to go from a boat you know with a new motor to an unknown package. My suggestion would be to ride in as many cats as you can before making the final decision because once the Haines is gone it is gone.

Cats do have their compromises as all boats do. You will just have to weigh up whether the good aspects of a cat are better than your Haines and the bad aspects of a cat are acceptable to you.

I am keen to hear how you go.
Jason

Grand_Marlin
10-10-2007, 07:39 PM
I can answer where the Sharkcat name came from.

Bruce Harris was a Shark netting contractor at the time that he designed the cats.

Therefore Shark for shark fishing
Cat from Catamaran.

Cheers

Pete

Greg P
10-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Jason - good post mate and I totally agree it is all about compromise with boats.

My old man mostly had cats when I was growing up. He bought one of the first 20 footers direct from Bruce Harris (actually the boat was owned by one of his shark netting mates - Basil Noonan) and I still remember to this day heading out with the old man, bruce harris and basil to go through the southport bar (pre seaway) on a test run from his canal house in Runaway. The cat was lime green with a couple of 135 johnos(i think) named Kool Kat and in the hands of those two guys it hammered. We had that beast for a couple of years but it was too dear on the juice and the trailers back then were not as they were in latter years so he sold it and bought a 560 Shark Cat. He also had a 16ft "Alloycat" with twin 50 mercs that went OK too.

Before I bought the Fisher I seriously had a look at getting a 5.2 KC but no way I could justify buying a 14 plus year old boat for say 50+K then re powering with 4 strokes and for me the layout of the 5.2 in as far as cab space for family over niters was unsuitable. As for new 1900s - they have too be kidding for the price :o

Cat v Mono debate will go on forever and each to their own there but a well designed mono with good deadrise (23;)) aint gunna be too far behind equivalent size cats despite what you read in this forum - the gap has closed a far bit compared to the 70s and 80s. If I had the coin I would buy a Contender CC over any cat in a heartbeat.

Dean1
10-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Greg P very interesting thread mate, my dad bought a 20 ft sharkcat back in about late 70's it was lime green and called cool cat with twin 135 evinrudes.:o He later painted it yellow. It had a very narrow trailer the rego number was AW330Q its blurry in the pic but it looks like that. My dad bought it off a guy who lived in noosa. The old man raved on about how well that boat rode till the day we lost him, the motors were never ending trouble tho. Does it sound like the same boat????

Greg P
10-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Dean it does mate - the old man had troubles with overheating on one outboard. I remember being towed back to Loders Creek a few times. He really only sold it as my brother and I were too young to help much loading it and the old girl cracked it on the Grand Hotel ramp after getting her hand caught on the bow line and the trailer.

I will see if he has any pics - they would be old. The name Kool Kat was on the top deck under the side glass - it was only about 3 inches high in black.

Cheers

Greg

Dean1
10-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Im pretty sure it was a 68 model and it had VERY high bow rails. I have photos but i cant work my scanner >:(

Greg P
10-10-2007, 09:43 PM
I will chase him up on the week end for some pics. We would almost be related if it is the same boat ;D;D;D;D;D;D

Dean1
10-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Yeah mate what a spinout!! Yes thats exactly where the name was. They came in many a time on one motor, they always blew powerpacks apparantly. A guy sombody stepheson sold it to the old man for $6000 i think. He said that boat was so heavy and so thirsty, but it did hammer. The trailer had no mudgaurds either and wasnt galvanized.

Dean1
10-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Heres a pic taken with mob. phone on the VERY old photo looking at the front of the boat. My brother has the photo of the side of the boat. Its hard to see but give u bit of an idea mate. I was about 5 or 6 when he owned it, he towed her around with a little mazda truck, they didnt care back then did they!

finding_time
10-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Bill

With the high thrust f60's on my 5.2 KC im getting 1.5km's to the litre at 23 knots which drops to a tad under 1.3 at 25 knots

Ian

Greg P
10-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Dean - it's looking very much the same - especially the windscreen. I'm keen to find out this weekend

snelly1971
10-10-2007, 11:17 PM
So when are you going to buy a real Boat GM....

Is It a Money Factor.??????

Or you just too proud to admit Tri Hulls offer a better Ride and Stability...LOL

Mick

Grand_Marlin
11-10-2007, 06:58 AM
So when are you going to buy a real Boat GM....

Is It a Money Factor.??????

Or you just too proud to admit Tri Hulls offer a better Ride and Stability...LOL

Mick

That is very hurtful Mick,

Making fun of those less fortunate than yourself :'(

It would be nice if you took the time to apologise ...... just be careful that you dont fall and hurt your back as you climb down off your wallet ;D

I know you have a bad back because you only own a trihull 8-)

Cheers

Pete

Grand_Marlin
11-10-2007, 07:32 AM
ps

The apology shold be in the form of:

# 5 cartons of Boags Draught

# 10 Crayfish

# 12 Abalone

... and a bottle of the home made Nectarine Jam that the old lady makes up the road from your place ;D

Cheers

Pete

krazyfisher
11-10-2007, 09:25 AM
This has been great reading but where do the boats like hydrofield's fit in

Vitamin Sea
11-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Bill,

My KC2400 uses on average a bit less than 1 litre per klm running twin 140 Suzuki's at 25-27kts depending on conditions. So the smaller four strokes should do quite a bit better than that.

It is a big step to go from a boat you know with a new motor to an unknown package. My suggestion would be to ride in as many cats as you can before making the final decision because once the Haines is gone it is gone.

Cats do have their compromises as all boats do. You will just have to weigh up whether the good aspects of a cat are better than your Haines and the bad aspects of a cat are acceptable to you.

I am keen to hear how you go.
Jason

Hi Jason

Thanks for your input, yes, big decision and you are 100% in saying there is compromise involved with ALL boats, none of them have it all.

Stay tuned, I need to look at and preferably go for a couple of rides to see if they are THAT much better than what I am sitting in now.

However, if one of you guy's have a 560 sportsman lying around with very low hour 115 Opti's on the back that you want to get rid of I will take it off your hands for say....$25K;D

Cheers

Bill

Vitamin Sea
11-10-2007, 10:24 AM

I have a "mate" that used to work at Hydrofield, making the boats, he thought the 6 metre HF was amazing in the rough stuff, this is from a bloke who also had a lot to do ( building wise ) of the 17', 19', 21' Haines boats ( my 19C's vintage )

Cheers

Bill

snelly1971
11-10-2007, 04:48 PM

Hydrofields eat Cats.....

Mick

PS...GM is just to proud to agree,,

PPS...The old lady who sells the jam is My wifes Grandmother..

snelly1971
11-10-2007, 04:56 PM
ps

The apology shold be in the form of:

# 5 cartons of Boags Draught

# 10 Crayfish

# 12 Abalone

... and a bottle of the home made Nectarine Jam that the old lady makes up the road from your place ;D

Cheers

Pete

You cant have any Abs...they are great Stripey bait....But i will promise to send you up some Crayfish next months....

Mick

wadeo
11-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Gday Bill My 7m sharky with twin 2000 v6 200hp salt water 2 stroke yammies at 25kn use combined 1.6L per km which is half throttle. Welcome anytime for a test spin Bill.

regards Wadeo

Vitamin Sea
11-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Gday Bill My 7m sharky with twin 2000 v6 200hp salt water 2 stroke yammies at 25kn use combined 1.6L per km which is half throttle. Welcome anytime for a test spin Bill.

regards Wadeo

Quite a weapon Wadeo, don't think I would like to feed her though...But then I suppose you could do 25knts in just about anything.

Thanks very much for the invite, some good blokes on this site;)

Cheers

Bill

23-sharkcat
11-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Gday Pete and Glenn here is a photo of the original decals on my cat before rebuild. Pete what does this represent model wize?
regards Wadeo

Wadeo,
I will post a pdf of that sticker. When I get a chance.............

23-sharkcat
11-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Wadeo,
That model was the 700 series mark II

Grand_Marlin
11-10-2007, 08:30 PM
G'day again...

Man what a dy at work....

The Hydrofields are a great boat too.

They fit in btween the mono and the cat.

They are easily driven (hence why Mick the Miserable only has twin 115's on a 28 footer)

They dont like being driven hard like a cat ... they have a sweet spot around 24 knots.

The 18 & 23 Jaguar series & the later 5.6 and 6.6 Jaguars with the cut away rear sponson were the best ... the early, narrow beam hydrofields were absolutely awful.

Strangely, anything over a couple of metres sloppy swell starts to slow them up, whereas a cat cn keep on truckin.

Cheers

Pete

LOL thanks for the offer Mick, I will hold you to it.

Waedo ... when are we goin fishin?

Bill, I have a 560 that I might sell, but you had better open your wallet a bit wider than 25

G'day Darren, hows things going?
Having withdrawl symptoms from selling the cat yet?

Cheers

Pete

Dean1
11-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Youv certainly been in a few boats pete ey!!?? Ive never been in a trihull, heard there totally different to a cat, ill stick to two hulls thanx ;) All this cat talk pete youd be painting your boat under nightlights wouldnt you?? ;D

wadeo
11-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Gday Pete we'll have to get out for a run soon for sure. Went out to murphy's yesturday arv around 4pm in the latest model 3000 series Kevlar cat. what a machine for quarter of a mil. Caught some huge snapper and home by 7pm. apart from less tunnel slap from the larger swells very similar soft ride to the shark cat. Gday Deano are ya heading out this weekend? thanks Darren all info is great. Did you make the pods that came with my cat?

regards Wadeo

Vitamin Sea
12-10-2007, 07:51 AM
G'day again...

Man what a dy at work....

The Hydrofields are a great boat too.

They fit in btween the mono and the cat.

They are easily driven (hence why Mick the Miserable only has twin 115's on a 28 footer)

They dont like being driven hard like a cat ... they have a sweet spot around 24 knots.

The 18 & 23 Jaguar series & the later 5.6 and 6.6 Jaguars with the cut away rear sponson were the best ... the early, narrow beam hydrofields were absolutely awful.

Strangely, anything over a couple of metres sloppy swell starts to slow them up, whereas a cat cn keep on truckin.

Cheers

Pete

LOL thanks for the offer Mick, I will hold you to it.

Waedo ... when are we goin fishin?

Bill, I have a 560 that I might sell, but you had better open your wallet a bit wider than 25

G'day Darren, hows things going?
Having withdrawl symptoms from selling the cat yet?

Cheers

Pete

May be able to throw in another couple of C notes Pete;D

Cheers

GBC
12-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Vit sea - I agree with your wife mate - if you think a 5.2 m anything is going to ride better/quicker/more comfortably than a v19 driven correctly?? What's the old girl got a hole in one side?

Better post her up in the for sale section - might be worth looking at.;D ;D

C.J.

Vitamin Sea
12-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Vit sea - I agree with your wife mate - if you think a 5.2 m anything is going to ride better/quicker/more comfortably than a v19 driven correctly?? What's the old girl got a hole in one side?

C.J.

Don't want to post her up CJ, don't know if I could cope with all of the replies;D

Dean1
12-10-2007, 06:34 PM

C.J. Hey GBC my 5.2m kc and a 5.5 cat i used to own rides better than any monohull ive been in up to 7 metres. I sold a 6.5m platey to buy this 5.2 kc and this boat absolutely blows my platey away. A 5.2m cat is not really a 5.2m boat as they are so square where as a mono has like a metre or so sticking out the front doing absolutly nothing. Also cats cover more area while travelling as a mono is only planing say 3/4 on the middle of the hull and a cat is in touching corner to corner if you know what i mean. A cat is so more in control as in dances from one hull to the other with a big air cushion giving an amazing ride. Im not starting an argument i just know what these small cats do and its amazing for there size. And then theres the stability at rest thats another story;)

Dean1
12-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Vit sea im gonna have to take you for a spin mate to show you what these boats do. I know youll be blown away. Your boat looks like the one i came up behind in the bay about 6 or so weeks ago when i was havin a play in the bay for the 1st time in my new boat. It was pretty rough that day, the other boat was gettin smashed about and i was WOT heading past just stirring him up. was that you?

Vitamin Sea
12-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Vit sea im gonna have to take you for a spin mate to show you what these boats do. I know youll be blown away. Your boat looks like the one i came up behind in the bay about 6 or so weeks ago when i was havin a play in the bay for the 1st time in my new boat. It was pretty rough that day, the other boat was gettin smashed about and i was WOT heading past just stirring him up. was that you?

Ah Deano

Don't think so buddy, it's a rare day I get smashed in the bay and have anyone doing circles around me8-)

Do you have a date or where abouts? may have been one of those inferior hull designs I suspect;D not a HAINES

All seriousness, would like a bit of a blat on a average day to see what the difference may be.

Thanks for the offer, we will talk

Do you really like cats?:D

Cheers

Bill

Dean1
12-10-2007, 07:32 PM
19th august about 5pm the boat was heading towards the tip of moreton from cabbage tree, ive got a video in phone i took that arvo in the boat. It was about 1-1.5m 25knots it definatly had an orange cab and a large cab like yours and about 19 ft

snelly1971
12-10-2007, 07:34 PM
19th august about 5pm the boat was heading towards the tip of moreton from cabbage tree, ive got a video in phone i took that arvo in the boat. It was about 1-1.5m 25knots it definatly had an orange cab and a large cab like yours and about 19 ft

Hi Dean...thought you said it was a rough Day....1-1.5m 25 knots...Does not sound too rough to me....:P:P

Mick

Dean1
12-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Snelly i said pretty rough mate ;D I was sittin on 30+ knots in that bay crap. Greg P the old mans 20ft cat was spelt CoolCat with C's not K's. Thats the only thing that will prove it wrong. Check those photos out mate cant wait to see :D

snelly1971
12-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Snelly i said pretty rough mate ;D I was sittin on 30+ knots in that bay crap. Greg P the old mans 20ft cat was spelt CoolCat with C's not K's. Thats the only thing that will prove it wrong. Check those photos out mate cant wait to see :D

I was just having a bit of fun with you Dean;D;D....Wish it was only 1 - 1.5 meters here....bloody 7 meters at the moment and not looking any better in the near future...

Cheers Mick

sea-rash
12-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Dean

I have to say you must have been in some fairly ordinary monos if your 5.2 kevlacat rides better than any up to 7 metres. Yes I have been in a kevlacat of this size and think they ride well apart from into a head sea. Funnily enough I tend to find a lot of them on the East coast of AUST. As a fishing boat they are terrific and brilliant acrooss the sea. It is refreshing to see a cat owner recognise that a 5.2 or 5.5 metre cat should not be compared with the equivalent lenght mono when you consider their weigth, purchase cost and fuel usage is equivalent to a much larger mono. I guess we all have our own views based on our own experiences and preferences and should be happy to respect eachothers choices.

Cheers

Rob

Dean1
12-10-2007, 07:57 PM
I was just having a bit of fun with you Dean;D;D....Wish it was only 1 - 1.5 meters here....bloody 7 meters at the moment and not looking any better in the near future...

Cheers Mick Oh good 1 mick no worries ;D Bloody 7 metres geez youll be sittin out for a bit. Tasmania ey? Good fishin down that way?

Vitamin Sea
12-10-2007, 08:06 PM
19th august about 5pm the boat was heading towards the tip of moreton from cabbage tree, ive got a video in phone i took that arvo in the boat. It was about 1-1.5m 25knots it definitely had an orange cab and a large cab like yours and about 19 ft

No, not me Dean, wasn't on the water 19th August, if I was, you probably would not have seen the orange on white, only the black from the 200 Opti;D

Cheers

Bill

snelly1971
12-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Oh good 1 mick no worries ;D Bloody 7 metres geez youll be sittin out for a bit. Tasmania ey? Good fishin down that way?

Bloody great fishing here Dean....400 NM of coastline here on the WestCoast...and we never see another Amature boat...we have it to ourselves...It is just getting the stinking weather to get out...Cheers Mick.

PS....Sell your cat and get a Tri Hull...Much better BOAT....Just ask GM...;D;D

Dean1
12-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Rob i agree mate some good points there. Most cats thump a bit into a headsea but overall there hard to beat. At the end of the day as long as your happy with your boat then alls sweet hey. Hey Mick sounds lke youve got it made down there mate but you can keep your trihulls to yourself ;D ;D Ive gotta get off this computer spending way to much time on here of late. Vit sea i think your too in love with your haines mate to part with it. Youll come around one day ;)

Vitamin Sea
12-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Rob i agree mate some good points there. Most cats thump a bit into a headsea but overall there hard to beat. At the end of the day as long as your happy with your boat then alls sweet hey. Hey Mick sounds lke youve got it made down there mate but you can keep your trihulls to yourself ;D ;D Ive gotta get off this computer spending way to much time on here of late. Vit sea i think your too in love with your haines mate to part with it. Youll come around one day ;)

Thinking and looking Dean, just enjoy playing with you blokes ;D

Had a look at a 18 SC this afternoon, may come around to the dark side yet:'(

Thanks for the posts, as Wadeo said, good that it has been kept clean without the bulls&&t

We will see

Cheers

Bill

Grand_Marlin
13-10-2007, 06:38 AM
Youv certainly been in a few boats pete ey!!?? Ive never been in a trihull, heard there totally different to a cat, ill stick to two hulls thanx ;) All this cat talk pete youd be painting your boat under nightlights wouldnt you?? ;D

Yeah, I spose I have been in a few :)

The trihulls are a really good boat, especially in water like the moreton bay chop.

They have the stability of a cat, but arent as soft riding.

They feel great when underway ... the side wings make the boat feel like it has self levelling stabilisers on it.

I nearly bought another Hydrofield when I bought my 700 Sharkcat ... onlu 'cos I couldnt fins the Cat I wanted at the time.

I would be happy to own a Hydrofield anyday, but the Cat is a better sea boat.

Remember, there are trihulls and trihulls ....

Hydrofield (in my opinion) make the best trihull available.

The Hobson Trihulls like Snellys are are very good sea boat ... just rougher in finish.
I havent actually been in a Hobson, bu tthe people I know that have say they are very good.

They were designed as a commercial boat, where prettiness doent count for much.

There are others, aluminium and glass, some good, some terrible.

It is a shame Hydrofield and business partners couldnt sort out differences, which led to the demise of the brand.

Far out ... I just looked at the Calendar .... does anyone realise it is Christmas again in a couple of weeks?

Cheers

Pete

Grand_Marlin
13-10-2007, 06:50 AM
Actually, I do know of another Trihull that is better than all the above mentioned.

Take a look at this animal.

It was designed and built from scratch by friends of mine who couldnt buy what they wanted, so they built it ........ essentially in the back yard shed :o

Cheers

Pete

snelly1971
13-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Hydo field are back in action Pete...They have been advertising in several of the fishing mags the past 12 months...

Nice boat in the pic

Mick

snelly1971
13-10-2007, 07:39 AM
PS Pete...I will argue on one point with U.....Tri Hulls have better stability than a cat....

Mick

Grand_Marlin
13-10-2007, 08:01 AM
I havent seen them Mick,

The last I heard was this:

http://www.hydrofield.com/apology.html

Can you find me some details regarding the new boats?

Cheers

Pete

ps stability is the same in both boats.

Vitamin Sea
13-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Pete

The bloke I refered to that worked at Hydrofield told me a story of when they released the 20 ' boat they took it down to the Pin Bar and were doing 360's etc in the middle of the bar with it, 4 blokes in the boat, he was more than impressed.

Your friends boat looks a beauty.

Regards

Bill

krazyfisher
13-10-2007, 09:04 AM
www.hydrofieldtrihulls.com (http://www.hydrofieldtrihulls.com)

snelly1971
13-10-2007, 10:50 AM
You cant convince me that stability is the same Pete....I have been in alot of Cats...and the tri hulls seems to be a lot steadier ...especially at rest...when fishing...

Mick

PS....I see today that there was a 23 foot Hobson Tri Hull up for auction at GOWANS auctions here in Tassie.....Might be worth a look for you Pete...at least then you would have a real BOAT.....

Mick

Grand_Marlin
13-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Mick,

Why would I want to go back to a real boat, when I already have an Unreal one 8-)

Cheers

Pete

snelly1971
13-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Mick,

Why would I want to go back to a real boat, when I already have an Unreal one 8-)

Cheers

Pete

Gee your stubborn Pete....or have you just sniffed to much Fiberglass dust over the years....Then again I suppose your Cat would be a good boat up there where you live ....travelling and fishing on a DUCK POND....

MICK

julian1
13-10-2007, 02:48 PM
hey Mick Cats are good down here too in the Southern ocean !
although i have not been ina tri hull but from what iahve heard they good, but i am a cat man through and through now ! cannot go back to a mono ;)

Dean1
14-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Hey Julian i know the feeling mate ;) Cats rule!! You have a 2400 kc dont you??

snelly1971
14-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Strange shape of a Hobson Tri Hull

Dean1
14-10-2007, 11:46 AM
There definatly odd looking boats the old trihulls arent they Mick?! :-/ :P ;D Cats certainly look more macho:D

Grand_Marlin
14-10-2007, 01:56 PM
There definatly odd looking boats the old trihulls arent they Mick?! :-/ :P ;D Cats certainly look more macho:D

They say boats are like their owners ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Pete

snelly1971
14-10-2007, 02:54 PM

Cheers

Pete

Couldnt be more TRUE EH PETE...that is why you own a PUSSY...

Mick

julian1
14-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Hey Julian i know the feeling mate ;) Cats rule!! You have a 2400 kc dont you??

Hey Dean, i have a early 660 Noosacat with 150 Suzuki's and yes there is that feeling in a Cat !

23-sharkcat
15-10-2007, 05:38 PM
GM, Wadeo, Glenn...

Here is the cat logo in alls its glory. If it works.

northernblue
15-10-2007, 05:57 PM
GM, Wadeo, Glenn...

Here is the cat logo in alls its glory. If it works.

Great work Darren.
What was the address of the site where you said I might find a dragon?

Ratman
16-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Very interesting thread, one of the best reads I've had for a while. But I might be a tad bias.

Purchased this Sportsman in Sydney a few weeks ago with a lot of help from Pete (Grand Marlin). Apparently it was an ex-fisheries boat.

Mick

GBC
16-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Vitamin sea,

may I suggest a serving of tabs with your vessel sir? You'll never want to get rid of her then.

Dean1 you're a very funny man (doin 30kts and blowing 19ft hainses away::) )- just be very careful you don't end up sounding like the fnq chopper.

julian1
16-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Very interesting thread, one of the best reads I've had for a while. But I might be a tad bias.

Purchased this Sportsman in Sydney a few weeks ago with a lot of help from Pete (Grand Marlin). Apparently it was an ex-fisheries boat.

Mick

loving this thread, that 560 looks in excellent condition and is the pick of the models, good find, the hardtop looks very familiar to mine on my Noosacat 660 :-/ mine was an ex govt but i would imagine a few years newer ?

cheer's
Julian

lippa
16-10-2007, 05:15 PM

Cheers

Pete

:D :D dean? macho????????????:D :D :D :D

pmsl!!!!!!

that litlte kc is impressive though!!!!!!!!!!

Ratman
16-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Yeah Julian, it's not in bad shape. It's had a respray and new decals but is solid as.

I have a question for you sharkcat gurus.

Three out of four of my flush paddle latches are broken. Any ideas where I can get my hands on some. They have probably been obsolete for 20+ years, so I'm not holding my breath.

Link to WANTED section.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=117214

Hope you don't mind Bill. Worth a try.

thanks gents,

Mick

wadeo
16-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Yeah Julian, it's not in bad shape. It's had a respray and new decals but is solid as.

Three out of four of my flush paddle latches are broken. Any ideas where I can get my hands on some. They have probably been obsolete for 20+ years, so I'm not holding my breath.

Link to WANTED section.

thanks gents,

Mick

Gday ratman, BLA do a flush paddle catch in 2 sizes BLA code: 193184 28mm x 43mm and Bla code: 193186 and is 68mm x 84mm Hope this helps
regards Wadeo

Greg P
16-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Dean - spoke with the old man today. It was named Cool Cat and he sold it to a guy in Noosa. The old girl is going to see if she has some polaroids so I will scan them and post em up.

looks like 99.9% same boat

Ratman
16-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks Wadeo,

Yeah I tried BLA but one's too small and the other way too big.

Bugger!!!!!

Vitamin Sea
16-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Vitamin sea,

may I suggest a serving of tabs with your vessel sir? You'll never want to get rid of her then.

Dean1 you're a very funny man (doin 30kts and blowing 19ft hainses away::) )- just be very careful you don't end up sounding like the fnq chopper.

;D ;D ;D

GBC, a set of Tabs is the one thing that I have left to put on her, they work real well on these boats, as you obviously know

Dean 1 is very enthusiastic about his cats, to say the least, good to have a passion:)

Cheers

Bill

Dean1
16-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Greg P its definately looking that way :o I'll get the side on photo from my brother and put it up here when she was yellow. The coastgaurd bought it off the old man, i was with him the day he dropped it off at the yard i was like about 7 years old. I can tell you some stories about that boat if its it, gee they caught some fish in that boat back then. Ratman nice cat mate, GBC is just shake my head at you man..

Vitamin Sea
16-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Greg P its definately looking that way :o I'll get the side on photo from my brother and put it up here when she was yellow. The coastgaurd bought it off the old man, i was with him the day he dropped it off at the yard i was like about 7 years old. I can tell you some stories about that boat if its it, gee they caught some fish in that boat back then. Ratman nice cat mate, GBC is just shake my head at you man..

All in fun Dean

Will give you a yell soon so you can show me how good that rig of yours is;)

Latest pics of V Sea, please note the excellent job Dave ( Blackened ) did with the detail, would you trade her in on a pussy?

Cheers

Bill

julian1
16-10-2007, 09:00 PM

Link to WANTED section.

thanks gents,

Mick

i had the exact same boxes and catches, 2 of mine were broken as well. Since i have put the 4 strokes on i have removed the boxes (no need for oil bottles anymore) as i found them a real pain to lean against when fishing as they stick out in your knee region, i will have a lookto see if any are any good for you to use.

wadeo
16-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Gday vitamin sea she's in great nick mate a credit to ya. Ya should get good dollars for her too i rekon. I have same opinion as deano used to have a cruise craft around same vintage as yours and was a safe sea boat serving me well for 5 yrs, Once i got the cat i have never looked back feel so much more at ease with 2 motors when well offshore not to mention stability. i've had 5 blokes all looking over one side of boat at once while anchored and the cat hardly leaned. Not a chance of doing that in my old mono or we would have capsized . And can now relax on the arvo run 's home from banks in a moderate NE'er because there's no banging or jarring from the sea your dealt with. just a smooth ride.

regards wade

snelly1971
16-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Gday vitamin sea she's in great nick mate a credit to ya. Ya should get good dollars for her too i rekon. I have same opinion as deano used to have a cruise craft around same vintage as yours and was a safe sea boat serving me well for 5 yrs, Once i got the cat i have never looked back feel so much more at ease with 2 motors when well offshore not to mention stability. i've had 5 blokes all looking over one side of boat at once while anchored and the cat hardly leaned. Not a chance of doing that in my old mono or we would have capsized . And can now relax on the arvo run 's home from banks in a moderate NE'er because there's no banging or jarring from the sea your dealt with. just a smooth ride.

regards wade

Wade...sounds more like you are riding in a Tri Hull than a cat...you sure you have not got your boats mixed up:P:P

Mick

Vitamin Sea
16-10-2007, 09:51 PM

regards wade

Gidday Wade

Looked after her mate, thanks

I typically run home from the Banks with the usual ne at 50 - 55
K's, the Haines do like a following sea as well.8-)

As far as ride goes, won't try to compare with a 7m cat, but she goes pretty well, would leave a lot of new bruisecrafts ( PS: I had a 23 Rover ) etc well behind.

Like cats, always have, but they do come at a price;) comes down to dollars, unfortunately.

Still undecided, will see how things turn out

Cheers

Bill

Finnatical
16-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Bill,

You would be wringing a small cats neck to be doing those sorts of speeds, particularly in a loaded boat. On flat/small chop water I think your Haines would fly past most cats on an rpm for rpm basis.

Jason

Vitamin Sea
16-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Bill,

You would be wringing a small cats neck to be doing those sorts of speeds, particularly in a loaded boat. On flat/small chop water I think your Haines would fly past most cats on an rpm for rpm basis.

Jason

Would be interesting to see the difference between the boats into a head sea and following sea Jason.

From what I understand about cats, they do perform best with HP, like the Haines do.

Regards

Bill

death_ship
17-10-2007, 06:27 AM

regards wade
Is it still a smooth ride at fuel up and service time or is that when it gets rough? Are the cats a bit wet? i have heard they do kick up a lot of spray.

krazyfisher
17-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Got some prices back on the hydrofield boats
5.6 = 25000
6.6 = 35000
that is boat only add about 6000 for the trailier

they are ugly...... I think I like them

julian1
17-10-2007, 10:50 AM
depending on what that price comes with it looks competitive

wadeo
17-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Is it still a smooth ride at fuel up and service time or is that when it gets rough? Are the cats a bit wet? i have heard they do kick up a lot of spray.

Ha Ha yeah not smooth at service time. Like to stay on top of maintanance though. Not very smooth at petrol station either. Pull up and stick a pump in on both sides. If you sat on the transom in rough conditions under travel you'd need goggles and a snorkel LOL.. I get more of a mist depending on direction of travel and wind. Half my deck and cockpit area are dry 99% of the time. Was out in a new 30ft kevlacat last wednesday and it was way wetter at travel then mine. Looked like someone was holding a hose on the cowels as we were traveling out. Was very rough though. regards wadeo

julian1
17-10-2007, 08:37 PM
how did the 30ft Kevlacat go for ride performance compared to your 23 Sharkcat ?
seriously

Dean1
17-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Hey Wadeo tell em about the guy that owns the 30ft kc, and his 560 sharkcat he also owns! This explains just how good small cats are ;)

wadeo
18-10-2007, 05:31 PM
the 30ft kc handled well. Very similar to my 23 although a bit softer with wave breaker. To be expected i rekon its 7ft longer and 400mm wider and weigh's 4t and cost a quarter of a mill. He also owns a 560 sharkcat which he rekons handles and goe's every bit as good as the big kc. In some conditions he said the little cat fit between the swells better allowing a faster pace. Taking nothing away from the big kc obviously it would be the better handling boat but he can't fault the little sharkcat.

julian1
18-10-2007, 08:29 PM
different sized sea conditions suit different sized boats and yes sometimes smaller works better

snelly1971
18-10-2007, 09:08 PM
There is a new book?...Tasmanian Ab Divers....It is just about how the ab industry and the divers worked here in the earlier days....I mate of mine is just currently reading this book and it said in one story that a certain diver had 4 18 Foot ?? cats in a row and broke all of them....Then he approached Henry Hobson...and he built him a Cape Cat...which he had for over ten years without any problems....Just goes to show how switched on this old boat builder was...I have never been in a cape cat...It would be interesting to hear GM`s Reply to this..

Mick

Grand_Marlin
19-10-2007, 05:31 AM
G'day Mick,

The cape cats are another boat with a great reputation for sea handling.

I dont know the history of them, but they are / were made in NW Tassie.

They have very low sides and are the roughest looking boat you will ever lay eyes on.
Again, like yours Mick, purpose built for the fishing industry.

I dont know what sizes they were built in, but from memory must have been 7 or 8 metres?

I have looked over a couple, but have never been in one.
They have the look that only a pro fishermans mother could love.

Cheers

Pete

snelly1971
19-10-2007, 04:02 PM
They have changed there shape now Pete...A local ab diver brought the moulds and had them modified a bit....They tell me they will leave an original 23 sharkcat for dead in a head on punch...Pretty sure they are being built up near Blaze at Smithton...

Mick

Ps here is a picture of a old Cape Cat

snelly1971
19-10-2007, 04:07 PM
few more pics

julian1
19-10-2007, 09:25 PM
what about the Devilcat ? it gets a good following down in Tassie doesn't it ? they seem to have a nice hight tunnel and are supposed to be very soft riding, any thoughts ?

snelly1971
19-10-2007, 09:33 PM
what about the Devilcat ? it gets a good following down in Tassie doesn't it ? they seem to have a nice hight tunnel and are supposed to be very soft riding, any thoughts ?

Yes the Police Boats are devil cats...they have for some reason fallen out of favour with other commerial operators....I have heard they are a bit of a dog in a following sea..???

Mick