PDA

View Full Version : whiplash or superbraid

bobbybarra
06-10-2007, 05:53 PM
hello , anyone have any thoughts on or experiences with berkley or the new thinner platypus superbraid , to put on a team diawa advantage baitcaster:-/

banshee
06-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Under 25lbs the platipus would be my choice,above that and I believe the Whiplash is prety hard to beat.The Whiplash under 20lbs is ultra thin and sometimes suffers very poor knot strength.

land-lubber
06-10-2007, 09:23 PM
platypus out of the two, but if u want a nicer handling line go the fins, v hard to beat.

Roo
08-10-2007, 09:32 AM
i've got 20lb whiplash on a daiwa zillion. certainly is super thin and very slick casting line. I've had no problems with it. I just put some 30lb onto some other reels.....only had one quick go with it. Only thing i would be aware of is the rated diameter is not quite as thin as it says on the packet...according to the advertised/printed diameter(0.10mm) I should have fitted 300yds onto the spool....i only got half of that which would be equivalent of a diameter about 0.28 .
If you go by the rated diameter of the 20lb (0.06mm) in theory my zillion should fit 500+ yds on it!!!! it onlt fit about 250yds. so you can do the maths from there otherwise it has been very good and very cheap ($42.50 per 300yd spool).
cheers roo.

Timfishin4fun
08-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Tackle shop told me to use tuf line, but unsure of the colours as there are yellow and smokey green. I've never had much luck with that smoke style and that yellow is like canary yellow? Not sure how that would go.
Tim

breamnut
08-10-2007, 05:53 PM
i put 20lb platypus on my curado and its awsome. i like finns to but the superbraid is my fav so far.
im not game to use the wiplash because heps of guys who come into work hate the stuff and we dont get many good reports of it.

TIMMY 666
08-10-2007, 07:35 PM
i put 20lb platypus on my curado and its awsome. i like finns to but the superbraid is my fav so far.
im not game to use the wiplash because heps of guys who come into work hate the stuff and we dont get many good reports of it.

Hey breamnut,

What kinds of problems have people had with whiplash? I'm conisdering buying some, probably the 20 or 30 pound. :-/

Thanks,

Tim.

basskid
08-10-2007, 08:22 PM
hahha thats funny breamnut we work at the same place but i have heard nothing but good hahahah, and i find that after a few plays with the whiplash it generallly gets softer were as super braid does but it fluffs up way more and is alot thicker in my opinion go the whiplash not only is it chaper the colour doesnt fade as easily as the super braid i hope this helps mate

Timmy94
08-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Whiplash. I think its too thin but thats personal preference. I prefer a thicker line like finns or tuf-line xp.

land-lubber
08-10-2007, 11:01 PM
general consensus is the stuff is too thin, u touch it on anything and it pops, it isnt the greatest handling line and has poor knot strength for a number of reasons, it ties better with some knots than others. i dont think i have sold 1 spool of the stuff.

Roo
09-10-2007, 09:45 AM
its all about how you tie your knots when using very fine diam. lines. I've found the knot strength to be no problem with my 20lb whiplash. ties a very neat & strong Slim Beauty to a 60lb leader, just make sure you use a bimini twist to give you a double and it ties really well and very compact. *Note that without a double and trying to tie an Albright to 60lb leader, i had trouble with it slipping. I'm happy with it otherwise. no probs with how it handles. it isn't too stiff to start with and it does become more supple with time, fading not too big an issue as is only the last metre or two that gets a flogging. does begin to fray slightly after a while but i've not had a braid that doesn't out of Tuffline XP, Finns and various fused GSP lines.

cheers Roo.

Roo
09-10-2007, 09:47 AM
hello , anyone have any thoughts on or experiences with berkley or the new thinner platypus superbraid , to put on a team diawa advantage baitcaster:-/

I haven't seen a new thinner platypus line? the one in the shops currently when i compared the relative thickness to whiplash seemed that 20lb whiplash was about the same size as 6-8lb platypus superbraid.