PDA

View Full Version : s/h Engine test /review ok ?

datamile
06-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Hi,

Buying a boat from aus marine centre in springwood, and got Brisbane Mobile Marine to check out the engine.

Its a Evin DI 115 2004 with about 50 hours on it. Comps come out at 160,165,170,165, and everything else checked out ok, except the report says 'want to stall on deacceleration' ( tested with muffs )

Now AMC, checked it in their water tank, and took it for a water test and said to appeared fine.

Should I be concerned etc ?

FNQCairns
06-10-2007, 02:47 PM
I am no expert but I wouldn't be conserned about that, if in the water test which is it's real environment the expert said all was fine I would be happy.
If I were still worried then I would get a second opinion.

Interesting the compression, damn that is high! Another piece of the DI puzzle falls into place.

cheers fnq

datamile
06-10-2007, 02:53 PM
it was the boat yard that did the water test !

kind_cir
06-10-2007, 03:03 PM
If this is the only thing keeping you from buying it, take it for a test run to put your mind at ease.
If the boat yard don't want to give you a water test after you show the report and voice your concerns. Then it's a matter of no test no sale as IMO dealers like this don't deserve your bussiness.
Real world is what I would believe.

datamile
06-10-2007, 08:32 PM
It is. Expected the engine inspection to be clean as its only 50 hrs old. Wondered if this was typical of an engine ran on muffs.

Wanted to collect it on Monday, but guess I'm going to have to take it out now before handing over the cheque.

BM
06-10-2007, 08:51 PM
A watertest is obviously required to assess the situation better.

The poor description given by your mechanic does you no favours. Did you press him for further info on is finding??

I don't leave my customers scratching their head after a boat inspection. Its either YES or NO as to whether its worth buying, whats wrong with it, what needs fixing and what its worth.

Tell em you need to water test in light of the inspection findings and if they won't play, you don't pay. Any company worth their salt should accomodate you.

Cheers
Cheers

datamile
07-10-2007, 03:29 PM
I'll ring the survey guy on Monday. Aus marine centre service guy said the engine was fine in the water, and is happy for me to have a water test.