PDA

View Full Version : angler's,,,hunter's vs PETA,,,,

choppa
06-10-2007, 12:42 PM
those that know me understand my utter most desire on what i'd personally like to do with the PETA ""brigade"" ,,,,,,,,,and i've posted a few threads over the months on what ludicrous ideas they keep coming up with,,,

well heres a brownie point back to us,,,,

this report goes on and on and on,,, but what it deatails is the value of what anglers/hunters represent in the american market,,,, i've highlited a few interesting parts

Anglers, hunters powering economy

Ken Perrotte's outdoors column
Date published: 10/4/2007

Calculating the annual national economic impact of hunting and fishing, the Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation figures America's 34 million hunters and anglers spend more than $76 billion dollars a year--$208 million daily--on hunting and fishing, ranking them among the most prominent and influential of all demographic groups.
The CSF report, "Hunting and Fishing: Bright Stars of the American Economy--A force as big as all outdoors," uses results from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's 2006 survey of fishing, hunting and wildlife-associated recreation.
In a CSF release last week announcing the latest statistics, foundation president Jeff Crane stated, "These latest figures demonstrate that season after season, hunters and anglers drive the economy from big business to rural towns, through booms and recessions. They directly support 1.6 million jobs, which is twice as many jobs as the combined civilian payrolls of the Air Force, Army, Navy and Marine Corps.
"While hunting and fishing are generally thought of as just outdoor traditions, they actually comprise an outdoor nation--both in terms of economic impact, and in turning out the vote on Election Day."
This hunter and angler spending generates $25 billion dollars in federal, state and local taxes.
People tend to think of hunters and anglers mainly buying guns, ammunition, rods and reels, lures and bait, but the big picture is much greater when one considers boats, trailers or motor vehicles that may serve as the family ride-around on a daily basis, but was bought solely for certain features that made it useful for the hunter and angler.
Even with current fuel costs, hunters and anglers spent a total of $1.8 billion in motorboat fuel on hunting and fishing activities, according to the CSF.
"Boating plays a larger role in hunting and fishing than people realize, especially in terms of money spent and participation," noted Thom Dammarich, president of the National Marine Manufacturers Association. "Figures from the U.S.F.W.S. survey estimate that sportsmen spend more than $11 billion dollars on boat fuel, boats and related equipment to get them around in the marshes and out on the water."
"Auto manufacturers are well aware of this demographics tremendous economic impact," said Dave McCurdy, president & CEO of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers. "Hunters and anglers are among our largest consumer groups for pickup trucks and SUVs and because those vehicles best meet their needs. In fact, in 2006, for the fifth year in a row, sales of these larger vehicles exceeded passenger car sales."

the report then attacks the like of PETA,,, asking if they took this away from the angler/hunter,,, what would replace it,,,,,

it goes on further with ""ideas"" on this and that,,, but lists MORE $$$ to be spent in the angling/hunting industry to ensure a more sustainable industry emerges,,,

so there PETA,,,,,,,, coil that in ya vege broth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

choppa

cammo79
06-10-2007, 01:39 PM
well said choppa

Maxg
07-10-2007, 03:21 AM
Well it isn't a lot of money, like 208 mill spent by 34 mill, that works out at $6.12 each.
We all know that the hunting/fishing industry in the USA is big business but here we seem to run foul of the Goody Goody's and have lost our right to hunt.
Soon the situation here will be the bag limits and no go zones will be either so little or so big it wont be worth fishing.
Fact is though, if you take everything into account, the probable biggest single factor killing our fishing is unregulated catch and release of demersal fishes.
It probably extends somewhat to pelagics as well, but whatever is killing off the fish is doing it despite tighter controls marine parks and no go zones and very minimal bag limits and/or anything else that the Govs can dream up.
MaxG.

nigelr
07-10-2007, 06:05 AM
Interesting point Max G, and worthy of robust debate, I feel.
Choppa, living adjacent to Coffs Harbour I can tell you there are two major national 'chain' tackle/outdoor outlets and one enormous private concern that between them would directly employ probably 20 full-time staff.
Combined turn-over I would guess at several million $ annually.
There is also a couple of smaller private bait/tackle outlets, several fishing charter boats working out of the Marina, and a large and well-patronised licenced Deep Sea Fishing Club with a popular restaurant.
Fishing is a major tourism drawcard to the town, more millions being spent.
Don't know that mung beans and tofu are quite so popular.....................
To be fair we are lucky here that our local MP is very much aware of the importance of fishing and related pursuits to the local economy and to date hasn't been afraid of having a go against the radical greens where necessary.
I must say that as a Labour voter at heart, I have to (and quite willingly) vote for a Nationals candidate to ensure the current status quo is maintained.
Too much green influence, when I was a kid fishing was very much a pursuit of the average working man, whom the Labour Party sought to represent.
Federal election on way, an opportunity hopefully to express our views as fishos, at the ballot box!
Cheers.

Chris Ryan
07-10-2007, 06:45 AM
Great part of the world there Nigelr, I grew up in Lismore; fished form an early age from QLD to Vic on holidays with family and know what fishing means to coastal country Australia.

nigelr
07-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks mate, too true on both counts.
Cheers!

NAGG
07-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Well it isn't a lot of money, like 208 mill spent by 34 mill, that works out at $6.12 each.

MaxG.
Max .... That number is per day ($2230+ pa) ..... That is a lot of $$$ ....:o I was a little surprised by how low the participation rate is in the US(11%) ..... Considering 1.2 Million + people fish in NSW alone (17% ??) ....... Anyhow its a lot of money & supports a lot of people ...... Nagg