PDA

View Full Version : How much does a landy really cost to maintain?

stevos
06-10-2007, 10:22 AM
I have been reading a bit of historic chat about land rovers on here and keep coming back to point of how expensive they are to maintain. Can anyone give me some more onfo on how much more expensive they really are ($$$ wise).

Bit of background - Im in the market for a softroader and like to specs of the Freelander, and this extra cost is my only major concern. They seem to top the class in every other feature (besides the x-trail having 2kW extra torque and an extra 5Nm of power).

Im at the point where I think that the extra operational costs will be worth it since (theoretically at least) it shouldnt have the same softroader related illnesses as the other (e.g. gearbox overheats on the beach). It will be used to pull boats and for some light beach work.

Cheers,

Steve

surf_man
06-10-2007, 05:20 PM
i cant comment on the smaller landrovers but we have owned nissan patrols, toyota's ( hilux and cruisers) and landrover defenders.

landrovers are no dearer then any other vechicle to own/ maintain.

stevos
06-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Perhaps it is the old 'you get what you pay for' situation? - parts might be priced like gold but the quality is higher?

ozscott
06-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Mate my brother owns Redlands 4WD Centre at Capalaba. He has been in business for over 10 years now and before that spent a lot of time wheeling with all sorts of trucks. Some parts are cheaper than Patrol or Cruiser and some are dearer and they even out. You dont have to go genuine for a lot of things - brake rotors and pads are a good example - 95 Series I DBAs are $55 each wholesale. The Td5 diesel injectors are cheaper than the 3.0 patrol TD. They are all dearer for things than sedans, but then again generally - particularly driveline and suspension proper off roaders are heavy duty compared to sedans. The LRs are built like a brick shitter under the nice exterior. Given how light the alloy V8s they Disco for example is still over 2 tonn - the long motor can be lifted out with 2 blokes. The chassis is box and the whole rig is well put together structurally. The are also very good at resisting rust. The freelander I know little about, but they are nothing like the Disco, Rangie or Defender off road.

Cheers mate.

Horse
06-10-2007, 09:17 PM
I had a Landrover County for over 15 years. Did nearly 250 000km for a $1500.00 gearbox and clutch fix, a couple of sets of tires and brakes, a reco aircon comp, a brake booster, alternator and an occasional tune. Fixed a few broken bits and pieces myself but I would stand that against any 4wd going.
I have had my latest TDI Discovery for two years and have spent a couple of hundred on it apart from tyres, oil and filters. Don't know much about the Freelanders though and probably would not classify them with their big brothers

ozscott
07-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Gday horse - my brother used to be a toyota man. He now has a lifted Disco and lifted County. The county is a bit warm though with a 400+hp 327 Chev, dual transfer cases and a lift that is insane with massive Simex Centipedes...but even in original trim it did well off road.

Cheers