PDA

View Full Version : Re: Selling My Boat - Repair Or Not To Repair

youngfisho
05-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey guys,

am selling my boat soon a 4.5m half cab crusader with '99" 70hp johnson oil injected two stroke with 200 hrs, but realize there are some repairs i should attend to in order to sell it as a sea worthy boat. The floor is soft and springy and there are cracks in the planing strakes with brown seepage coming through. Should i

sell it as is and just accept what i get for it.

or

spend some money getting the floor and stringers replaced and sell it for what its worth with the new stringers/floor.

Trailer is a rhule 2001 series drive on/off trailer with spare wheel and 2 speed jarrett winch.

any input would be appreciated

andrew

Blackened
05-10-2007, 07:02 PM
G'day

how old is the hull?

I can see those repairs getting up in excess of 3k(probably conservative).... you do the sums

Dave

youngfisho
05-10-2007, 07:18 PM
hull is 82 model, in good condition appart from the floor and stringers. paid 8500 for it about 3 years ago.

andrew

deadbeatloser
05-10-2007, 07:38 PM
m8 cut your loses and as is... unless u can do repairs ur self for minimal cost?
u could be opening a can of worms there:o

youngfisho
05-10-2007, 10:59 PM
been quoted about 1000 bucks for the stringers and floor repair.

andrew

disorderly
05-10-2007, 11:22 PM
been quoted about 1000 bucks for the stringers and floor repair.

andrew

Mate, I'd be worried about what else they would find once they started cutting(you have already mentioned cracks in the planing strakes)then there is the transom.....25 year old hull.....

I wouldn't ordinarily take advice from somebody by the name of "deadbeatloser" but as he mentions, cutting your losses might save some heartache in this situation.
Unless you can redo the floor yourself?

Scott

gavsgonefishing
06-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Mate,

done this sort of stuff a few time on old boats, I would get rid of it for what it is. Less heartache. If you have had the enjoyment of it over 3 years and have not had to stick you hand in your pocket for major repairs, then get rid of it as is. There is always someone looking to buy a boat and do it up. There is less people looking for an older boat with fresh repairs.

Cut your losses, if any, now as soon as you start putting your hand in your pocket that means you have to adjust the price to suit. What if the transom is starting to rot, and is picked up after the floor has come out?

1000.00 for those repairs seem extremely cheap, I would of guessed closer to the 3000 mark.

Gav

finga
06-10-2007, 07:05 AM
How about thinking about selling it all separately.
Trailer is worth $
motor is worth $
hull not so many $
Your a champ though for having some morals about the sale.
That was one of the biggest headaches when I brought the big boat. Sorting out the shonky sellers and the ridgy didge ones.
Good luck with it :D

PS Bung it on here for sale...someone might want a project to do??

youngfisho
06-10-2007, 08:52 AM
cheers fellas,

will take these comments into consideration and let you know how things go

andrew

simonpp82
06-10-2007, 09:22 AM
hey youngfisho, i'm in a similar situation with my boat im going to sell... my boat is a 17ft longboat so would have less floor area, therefore i'm assuming the cost of fixing it would be less. The transom is rock solid as it was replaced just before i bought the boat.
Once the floor is replaced it'll be a great little boat, and worth a lot more. Are you able to PM me and let me know ehere you got that quote? Cheers - simon